Don't fall for the Firefox-patch.js

6 minutes ago, Hum said:

This is a window that opens sometimes on other computers, at various web sites.

I can't really say this is something common that I see on various tech websites. I would double check you are not infected with something still.

7 minutes ago, Hum said:

my special program that prevents malware from executing saved me

Which is?

1 minute ago, Circaflex said:

I can't really say this is something common that I see on various tech websites. I would double check you are not infected with something still.

Which is?

As I said, I ran an Avast AV scan and a Malwarebytes rootkit scan.

I am having no problems or slow-downs.

As for 'which is?' I'll keep that to myself.

What works for me, may mess up someone else's computer. ;)

Just now, Hum said:

As I said, I ran an Avast AV scan and a Malwarebytes rootkit scan.

I am having no problems or slow-downs.

As for 'which is?' I'll keep that to myself.

What works for me, may mess up someone else's computer. ;)

So you potentially have a solid program that might be useful and rather than sharing for other users, you want to keep it to yourself? That makes a lot of sense and is very kind of you.

23 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

So you potentially have a solid program that might be useful and rather than sharing for other users, you want to keep it to yourself? That makes a lot of sense and is very kind of you.

He probably has some program on the system that is actually causing the infections.

I've seen something like this happen with CryptoLocker. Here is how it worked. The infected machine had a type of malware on it that was installed along with another one of those free programs. The malware part of this, all it did was access ad driven sites to trigger ads in the background and generate revenue for the person who created the software. This was almost totally hidden to the user unless you used Wireshark or monitored the "legit" service/network traffic it installed/generated.

The bad part happened inadvertently. The malware accessed a ad server that had infected code, executed it with it's own little html engine (I believe the loader was a .js file) and it downloaded/executed Cryptolocker. This happens to people every day, the infected ad servers, but because this system was accessing those ad-servers in the 300-500 times a day range, it's chances of getting an infected one was higher.

17 hours ago, Circaflex said:

He's not hiding it. He said he uses Avast & Malwarebytes.

17 hours ago, Hum said:

I think it is time for a Mod to close this thread.

As usual, it is becoming way too negative.

If by negative you mean calling you out for failing internet 101, then yes it's negative 

Even most of my employer's most clueless users know better than to click some random "update" file off the web

• Like 2

• Marshall locked this topic