Does there have to be a System Reserve ?

What everyone else is saying. I believe it is possible to convert to UEFI, but you need to convert the drive from MBR to GPT first. It is a pain in the arse, and not worth even thinking about doing. Removing the drive letter won't mess anything up, but if you keep buggering it about, you'll stuff the boot.

5 hours ago, Max said:

I believe it is possible to convert to UEFI

I have actually done it once, but it's not something I'd recommend to my friends. :p (Or care to do again!)

Hum was. So in the spirit of sticking to the topic, I figured you were as well. 

No, he wasn't. Please don't presume things on my behalf. Thanks! :)

Sorry -- but it did in my case.  I did not change any BIOS setting to get UEFI.

After I did the BIOS flash, I rebooted and the boot screen changed.

Correct, but the update still has the BIOS legacy mode which Windows is falling back to.

I will eventually turn the D: drive into all storage to keep personal files safe.

There's no issue doing this now if you wish.

I am tempted to Merge the System Reserve with the rest of C: drive.

Who knows what would happen, tho !

You would break the boot process for your computer and at the minimum, require a repair install. Possibly a full reinstall if things go really bad. :p

5 hours ago, Max said:

What everyone else is saying. I believe it is possible to convert to UEFI, but you need to convert the drive from MBR to GPT first. It is a pain in the arse, and not worth even thinking about doing. Removing the drive letter won't mess anything up, but if you keep buggering it about, you'll stuff the boot.

I'm not too worried.

I custom built this computer.

I know all the wiring.

I installed and reinstalled the Windows 10.

I installed all the software and have Downloads Saved.

I have a regular hard drive with a W10 OS back-up.

I can rebuild everything from the ground up. :happy:

That is certainly the best method. Windows should format the new drive as GPT with three partitions; Recovery, System and MSR. I have the same UEFI problem on my own system, as the install is 8+ years old. I don't want the hassle of having to put back all my programs.