Sabertooth X79 board and new video card

I purchased a new Asus GTX 1080 video card.

I shut down my computer, opened it and pulled out my old card, I then put in the new card and connected the power connectors.

I have a coolermaster 850w PS. I plugged it back in and I get a green light on my MoBo but no fans are running, I hot power and nothing happens.

So I was thinking maybe I need to update the Bios to support the new card, so I put the old card back in and plug it in and now its doing the same thing.  Green light on board but no fans.  It doesnt even sound like the PS fan is running.

I did notice I knocked loose the PW Switch connector but I plugged that back in.

I tried taking out my memory and putting it back in one at a time, I tried a single stick, then a different single stick and nothing.

I am at a loss as to what to try next.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Check all the connections, esp. the Power connections to the Power Supply, for tightness.

Maybe replace the CMOS  battery.

Search Asus support for a BIOS update.

There may be something in the BIOS Setup that needs changed.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH_X79/HelpDesk_Download/

^ Windows 10 64-bit BIOS update. SABERTOOTH X79 BIOS 4801

Be sure to select your correct Operating System.

Edited by Hum

I was about to do the same thing tomorrow! Slap a GTX 1080 in my case which is running a Sabertooth X79. Any chance you hit the wires to your case power/reset and pulled them off?

I'm running BIOS 4701 now and just noticed that 4801 was available. Which BIOS are you running?

While I would generally agree about the bios being out of date, OP has said putting in the original card does the same thing. I think OP needs to double check their switch and ensure the connector was put on correctly (motherboard header).

Just moved the pin adapter for 20 seconds to reset the CMOS and still not luck after moving it back.  The PWR switch connector is connected properly. I did pull it out on accident but its on one of those connector things and I verified its right.

Wouldnt unplugging that just cause it to boot when plugged in?  Also will this board post with no video card attached?  I am worried I may have damaged the PCI-E slot when I put the new card in or took the old one out.

I am unsure of which bios Im running as now the system wont post

rut roh.

You could try to power it without the GPU.  It should power up the fans and give you a beep code (saying there isn't a GPU).

Edit: did you also try Circaflex's suggestion regarding the memok button?

You might try taking out the battery, turning off the power supply switch in the back, then push the front/top power switch to completely drain the electricity.

Then wait a few minutes.

Put back the battery, turn the power supply back on, then try it, with your original video card.

I read this somewhere -- don't know for sure if it works.

4 minutes ago, jjkusaf said:

rut roh.

You could try to power it without the GPU.  It should power up the fans and give you a beep code (saying there isn't a GPU).

I don't know about the OP's model, but my Asus Sabertooth has no internal speaker, does not give off beep codes.

Asus has 5 red LED lights on the board, instead.

If something is amiss, the faulty area lights up.

3 minutes ago, Hum said:

I don't know about the OP's model, but my Asus Sabertooth has no internal speaker, does not give off beep codes.

Asus has 5 red LED lights on the board, instead.

If something is amiss, the faulty area lights up.

Per the manual for the Sabertooth Z79 it does.

My Sabertooth Z77 does as well.

If I power it up without the GPU it doesn't do anything except turn on the green light on the mobo.  Same as when it is installed.

I am starting to think it could be the power supply.  Maybe the extra power required of the 1080 caused ot to go caputze but its still strong enough to power the board?

Could be the PSU ... not sure why it would just go  ... I mean you had the proper PCIe power connectors going to the 1080 right?  850w is plenty for that configuration.  

PSU troubleshooting is a bit hard....unless you have a spare one hanging around.  Hate for you to replace it only to find out it was something else.  

I'm short of ideas ... considering you've done the CMOS reset, the memok, reseated the memory, doubled checked your connections ... double checked the power connector.  I think...but I'm not positive...you can see if it powers on without memory and the GPU (to see if the fans spin ... and it beeps at you).  You could also try to jump the pins with a small flat tip screwdriver (where the power button plugs into) ... to make sure the plug itself isn't damaged.  If still no power ... and you do not want to buy a new PSU ... you may have to make more drastic steps (tear down/rebuild ... check power with the board out of the case).   These could be "drastic" depending on your comfort level.

I actually do have another PS in my kids gaming rig I built. I will try that tomorrow and that should answer that question.

I like the idea about connecting the jumpers for the power switch button.  Could I also switch the reset and on off pins and use the reset switch to power it up?

6 minutes ago, benplace said:

I actually do have another PS in my kids gaming rig I built. I will try that tomorrow and that should answer that question.

I like the idea about connecting the jumpers for the power switch button.  Could I also switch the reset and on off pins and use the reset switch to power it up?

oh yea ... forgot about that ol reset button.  Yes ... that should serve the same purpose. :)  

Reversed the PW Switch and Reset Switches and tried both and nothing so I think I can rule that out.

I do remember when I would plug it in the fans would spin up before it would shut off and I would then hit the power button, now that fan spin up is gone.

3 minutes ago, benplace said:

Reversed the PW Switch and Reset Switches and tried both and nothing so I think I can rule that out.

I do remember when I would plug it in the fans would spin up before it would shut off and I would then hit the power button, now that fan spin up is gone.

yea ... outta ideas.  @DevTech may have some suggestions.  I think trying the PSU from the kids computer could help ... though if something goes wrong you could inadvertently mess up theirs.  May want to just do a teardown and rebuild ... /shrug