Upgrading Hard Drive

Does anyone have any suggestion on how to copy Windows XP from one hardrive to a newer one? Preferably without having to spend money on software. Is there a manual method?

Install the new hd as slave, go into my computer select all, and copy to the new one, when done set the new one to be master, and the old one to slave.

Make sure you get ALL the files, hidden files and such. That should work.

I don't imagine that would work, because it wouldn't transfer the mbr.

Though I am sure there is a way, I know my disks came with a floppy that had the ability to transfer the entire disk contents to another drive.

What type of drive did you get ?

The Drive I got is a used 45 gig. I think it's made by IBM 'cause that's what the BIOS registers it as. I tried using XCopy to transfer the files but there were some files it refused to copy (ntuser.dat) for example. I'm pretty sure I can use the recovery console on the XP disk to create an MBR. Just wondering if there is a method to quickly copy all the files.

Install the new drive as a slave Then Find yourself a demo of norton ghost , then use the ghost boot wizard to make a boot disk that you can use to make the copy.

Ghost 2002 will work perfectly.

I tried it last week, and cloned a fresh XP Pro instal from my IBM40Gb to my new 2 x Matrox 80Gb RAID array. Had to do this becasue I couldn't install fresh onto my RAID, becasue XP set up didn't like my Promise RAID drivers.

Took about 50 minutes to copy 7Gb:sleeping:

But my comp booted perfectly from the RAID:D

Just make damn sure that the comp you are cloning is sweet and has all the right drivers installed first.:cool:

G/L