The Best Mp3 Software ! !

Hi people, well i just got a cd of audio from my band, and i want to transform it to mp3, what's the best software to use, with win XP... Thanks for the help... Stay well :D

Originally posted by [suCraM] 

well im part of an mp3 ripping group and i personally think alto is alot better than lame so whatever

are you talking about http://www.cdwavtomp3.250x.com ?

if so then read this

AltoMP3 Maker uses LAME MP3 encoder as default MP3 encode engine. LAME encoder is a freeware project which provides high compression speed and perfect sound quality, it supports VBR(Variable Bitrate) and many more features.

so whatever:roll:

Why not just turn in into WMA files using media player? They take up a lot less space (and are better quality) which is great if you are putting them on the web somewhere for download.

my .2c

Originally posted by Robert_Hague  

Why not just turn in into WMA files using media player? They take up a lot less space (and are better quality) which is great if you are putting them on the web somewhere for download.

wma has content management which means ms can lock you out of your files.:(

wma is very proprietary so no chance of playing on other os.

wma does not take up a lot less space on same bitrates.

wma has more aparant artifacts.

ms doesn't work on wma as actively as mp3 development.

and guy asked about MP3 software, not wma

I think Mp3 is the best format for ripping CD's.

Admittedly MS made it very easy to rip CD's using the new media player - so most users may want to stick with this.

I would urge users to at least try an alternative. Microsoft doesn't want you to, but there are some great apps/technologies out there (winamp, lame enc, monkey audio, AAC, mpc, mp3pro, EAC, Cdex)

WMA files are better in a low bitrate/high compression scenario (ie. http streaming).

If you want decent compression and high quality (cd rip) go with mp3 (Lame Enc).

Reasons:

- For me, at bitrates over 160 - mp3 is clearer and has less artifacts than WMA.

- Mp3 is free, open source and multi platform compatible. I can play mp3's on my Win32, Linux & Mac systems.

- Mp3 is a lot more flexible. (has CBR, ABR & VBR encoding options)

- Mp3's just sound a lot nicer on my Intel Pocket Concert :)

• 2 weeks later...

EAC/CDex with LAME 3.91 (or the hydrogen audio 3.90 build) with - alt-preset standard or - alt-preset 160 (for portable audio).

MP3-Explorer for tagging/management duties.

MP3Gain for adjusting your mp3 files to attain the same volume (much better than plain normalization).

WinLAME for re-compressing MP3's, or converting/encoding between MP3s and Vorbis.