Network bridge in XP anyone?

Hiya,

I was just wondering, i have 2 NICs on my Xp machine.

1st is conected to the schools server.(for internet)

2nd to my laptop(win98)

I can connect them no problem, but i wanted to get the internet on the laptop too.

So it seems bridging them together might be an option. I was wondering if anybody tried this out? some pointers?

thanks

I know XP/2000 have RIP listeners and can implement IP forwarding with filtering, but I don't know if they can perform as 'bridges' (much like a dual port switch).

If you need to get to the internet and local webserver, ICS on your PC will protect your PC and laptop from others on the network.

Just share the ethernet network connection (on your PC) that goes to the server.

Of course you need to use correct IP addresses, DNS server addresses, network masks, etc to get it all to work. ICS can configure automatically if you

All you have to do is go to Network and Dial-up connections and select the 2 network connections and right click them and select bridge. Should perform a complete bridge of the 2 connections.

The bridge function works by assigning several network cards the same IP. So it treats multiple network cards as one card. Your portable would think it was connected directly to the school network and unless you are able to access the internet on the portable directly connected to the school network, bridge the connections would be useless to you.

What you really want to do is what was mentioned earlier, is to share the network connection that is directly connected to the school network.

Get a hub. cost like 30 dollars for 8 ports

plus your schools server into the secound port and your laptop into the 3rd or vice versa then set up your network from network places

The ICS method, in technical terms, will simply set the default gateway for one NIC to the IP of the second NIC.

So you should have:

School Internet NIC:

IP:11.70.5.0 (assume IP assigned via dhcp)

Subnetmask 255.255.0.0

Default Gateway: 11.70.1.1 (assigned via dhcp idealy, this is the ip of the machine hosting the schools network connetion)

DNS Server: 11.70.10.1 (again,via dhcp)

Laptop NIC:

IP:192.168.0.1

Subnetmask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 11.70.5.0

DNS Server: 11.70.5.0

That should tell the laptop nic to send all unroutable requests via 11.70.5.0, and use that host to resolve them as well.

Thats off the top of my head, but I'm sure it'll work.

Jon

In theory that last post is sound, but it never works like that. You just can't set a gateway like that and expect it to work, you have to tell XP to share the connection to get the ICS to work correctly.

If he followed your scheme of

School Internet NIC:

IP:11.70.5.0 (assume IP assigned via dhcp)

Subnetmask 255.255.0.0

Default Gateway: 11.70.1.1 (assigned via dhcp idealy, this is the ip of the machine hosting the schools network connetion)

DNS Server: 11.70.10.1 (again,via dhcp)

Laptop NIC:

IP:192.168.0.1

Subnetmask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 11.70.5.0

DNS Server: 11.70.5.0

The other nic in his desktop computer would have to be something like 192.168.0.2 so that they could see each other. Which they would through file sharing and such, but the internet would not work because you told him to set the gateway to 11.70.5.0 which means the computer would try to use its own NIC the 192.168.0.1 to find the 11.70.5.0 but it never will unless you tell XP to share its internet connection. Without telling the NIC to share its connection the only NIC you will be abel to find on the portable is the Desktop computer NIC the 192.168.0.2.

So in short just share the primary connection it will work flawlessly and don't listen to this other guy.

Originally posted by ahodes1  

All you have to do is go to Network and Dial-up connections and select the 2 network connections and right click them and select bridge.  Should perform a complete bridge of the 2 connections.

Can you bridge in W2K? I'm not at a W2K pc right now can can't tell.