[NBA] Head2Head - Should the blazers trade...

:o

p1_wallace_all.jpg

Trade him

For all the baggage brought up by his volatile temper and uncooperative nature, Wallace is considered around the league to be a "finishing piece," someone whose talents are absolutely perfect for a winning team.

For all his bravado, Wallace doesn't want to be the main guy; on Portland's struggling team this year he's willingly turned that role over to Zach Randolph.

That's why the Blazers should trade Wallace now. There have to be several playoff-bound teams -- Dallas in the West and perhaps Detroit and New York in the East (though to call the Knicks "playoff-bound" is premature) -- who would love to get Wallace. They see him as a guy who can give them 10 points and eight rebounds per game in the playoffs, and in Detroit's case, that points average could become 16.

The team that would make the most sense to deal with is Dallas, which could offer power forward Antawn Jamison. Head coach Don Nelson is comfortable taking on head cases, and owner Mark Cuban would love the idea of taking on the NBA's supreme Bad Boy (remember, he did take a chance on Dennis Rodman).

Whether or not 'Sheed would make the Mavs any better is another question.

p1_wallace2_all.jpg

Keep him

Patience is a virtue. In the high stakes poker game of NBA trades, it's also good business.

That's why Blazers GM John Nash needs to hold off on trading Rasheed Wallace. Yes, Wallace is a cancer who needs to go. But until somebody offers Portland a true All-Star, or a better package than what we've heard so far, Nash should politely say, "No thanks."

The Blazers are in rebuilding mode. The last thing they need is to add long-term contracts of players they don't really want. Dallas' reported offer of Antawn Jamison is a start, but not if it comes with the additional baggage of say, Tariq Abdul-Wahad (four years, $28 million).

What's the hurry in Portland? The Blazers aren't going anywhere this season. As the Feb. 19 trade deadline nears, and NBA teams gear up for the playoff push, Wallace's stock will only rise. The Blazers hold all the cards. They've got an All-Star-caliber big man a lot of teams would like to have. They can deal Wallace in a few weeks or wait until after the season and do a sign-and-trade.

If Portland doesn't get a decent offer? Fine. Wallace bolts as a free agent after the season and the Blazers clear his $17 million salary off their books. They might still be over the salary cap, but they'd save a ton in luxury tax and have more flexibility in the future.

What do you guys think?

If I were the Blazers, I'd get this guy as far away from Porland as possible. Good Player, but a loser as a person. Bad people are not good for a team game.

True and I think that is what they are going to do. BOOG said he calmed down and that he is a good player. They have to give him a second chance.

I agree, he is a good basketball player, but things just ain't clicking for him in Portland anymore. A change would be good for both the team and himself.

I think they should pull the trade with Dallas, I don't think there are any better options out there for Portland to wait for. Jamesion is a great player and shouldn't be coming off the bench for Dallas and Dallas needs that extra punch that they lost when Van Exel was traded.

Being aggresive in sports don't go together[/color

:laugh: That's halarious. I'd keep him even if he is an ass clown. He's a great player and the Blazer's need him.

LOL but when you are really aggresive in basketball you might spend 10 minutes on the court and the rest of the game on the bench. ;)

LOL but when you are really aggresive in basketball you might spend 10 minutes on the court and the rest of the game on the bench. ;)

But sometimes aggression can inspire the team to play harder. That's where Wallace is of benefit.

Another good point but as said before it can cause more trouble. The good thing is that he calmed down. Now give him a second chance. <_<