LH & the law

I was thinkg about this a while back and I was hold anyont could shed some light or comment on my opinion. Microsoft has been bombarded by so many suits over the next few years and lost a considerable amount of them only to be sent to the court of appeales... Do you thik Microsoft will have learned it's lesson when it comes to the making of Longhotn?

Some of the lawsuits are childish like Realones current but others justified.

The thing is, someone somewhere will always try to make money out of a rich corporation no matter what.

I dont see it ending just because of some new OS.

They haven't started from scratch.

Rereading your post I think you already knew that though....

Does anyone know an estimate of how many lines of code are in an operating system?

Isn't the number in the billions? ( for microsoft anyway)

I think Microsoft will be more carefull MAYBE lol but i dont know, you dont always see who/or what always goes on over there behind closed doors. However Microsoft kinda seems like they push the lines and they have to find the "thine line" and cross it lol. Now don't get me wrong they don't always cross it, they just want to lol.

I was in the process of editing my post, yeah sorry.

Umm...hey, I think I'll post something on topic.

I don't think Microsoft has learned anything other than that they can get away with a whole lot.

But that's just my opinion...

Edited by bsarmir

Does anyone know an estimate? of how many lines of code are in an operating system?

Isn't the number in the billions? ( for microsoft anyway)

paul thurrott said server 2003 has over 50 million lines of code. the windows 2000 family and xp probably have something around that too...

The details of NT--excuse me, Windows--development have changed dramatically since the project first started in the late 1980's. "Back in the early days, we started with 6 people," Microsoft Distinguished Engineer and Windows Server Architect Mark Lucovsky told me. "Now there are 5000 member of the Windows team, plus an additional 5000 contributing partners, generating over 50 million lines of code for Windows Server 2003.

http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/winserver2k3_gold2.asp

I dont think the lawsuits will stop, because most of the lawsuits revolve around microsofts strategy of amalgumating everything services, software etc, .net strategem, etc, I mean the most well known MS case is based on its integration of IE into Windows, and look how that turned out, many years of trail, a massive loss to the state, and Microsoft walked out virtually unscathed.

No state is going to spend all that money and time going through all that again. I dont think MS goes out of its way to be "Evil" or anything, just its set its sight on certain strategies, and obviously to achieve that, less competitive firms are being pushed out of the way, and loosing profits.

But perhaps thats just the monopoly and free-market forces at work, in todays technologicaly society.

The lawsuits I've recently seen against MS are just rediculous... like one about IE being the default browser... if the user wants to change it then they can change it themselves sheesh, its not a hard thing to do...

Some of the lawsuits are childish like Realones current but others justified.
So Real's (not RealOne's) lawsuit is childish? So shady tactics which kept OEMs from installing Real player isn't anticompetitive? I suppose Be Inc and Netscape were silly too?
Point taken... But do you think they can cover more bases now that they have started from "scratch" with this new os?

Ha!

They haven't started from scratch.

MS marketing and pro-Ms wesbiste. WinSuperSite is one that help spread this garbage.

I think you're going to see a lot more lawsuits in Microsoft's future. I also think you're going to see some silly PR campaigns too. For example, when Ms purchased a Unix license from SCO not too long ago it ran a "we respect IP" camapign. At the time they were involved in atleast 3 lawsuits which they lost. They might try that again. Borrowing BSD licensed code isn't stealing.

So Real's (not RealOne's) lawsuit is childish? So shady tactics which kept OEMs from installing Real player isn't anticompetitive? I suppose Be Inc and Netscape were silly too?

Ha!

MS marketing and pro-Ms wesbiste. WinSuperSite is one that help spread this garbage.

I think you're going to see a lot more lawsuits in Microsoft's future. I also think you're going to see some silly PR campaigns too. For example, when Ms purchased a Unix license from SCO not too long ago it ran a "we respect IP" camapign. At the time they were involved in atleast 3 lawsuits which they lost. They might try that again. Borrowing BSD licensed code isn't stealing.

reals is bull****. no one likes their slow crappy player so they sue ms. They claim they are being pushed aside but damn near every site i know of that has any sort of streaming media uses realmedia. So tell me how if millions of sites are using real media to stream content how is ms stopping real from doing anything?

• 3 weeks later...