Longhorn Support Win32/VB6 Apps?

Okay, i've googled this to death and lightly searched neowin, but am looking for a definitive "Longhorn will NOT support Win32 API/VB6 applications"... if anybody can point me to a site or reference that states this clearly i'd appreciate it.

okay very good... thanks guys... but i still want my employer to take the .net road... :( ohz wellz

im lost when it comes to VB6 - .net is structured so differently.

removing win32 support would be insanely stupid. longhorn would start with exactly squat apps.

It would be but MS released this ummm thing, at this uhhhh PDC thing so this wouldnt happen. :blink:

It would be but MS released this ummm thing, at this uhhhh PDC thing so this wouldnt happen.? :blink::

can you translate that into english too?

what does build 4051 have to do with win32 support or not? do you really think that it will cause EVERY programmer to write managed code? no, it won't! i know enough people that are stubborn and want to continue to write native code, expect game companies to do the same for some time. i've seen benchmarks that suggest that c#/.net is +/- on par with c speedwise, but it probably wont be enough to convince these guys in shortterm.

<edit>

here:

http://www.tommti-systems.de/go.html?http:...benchmarks.html

• 2 weeks later...

Well if you are a VB Developer then what you must do is:-

1. Buy urself VS.NET

2. Shift yourself from VB6 to VB.NET

3. Use web as a resource for learning VB.NET

4. Do more and more XML related stuff.

5. Learn how to program and use Webservices.

These are the best guidelines for you. Until 2006 you will be a Longhorn Ready Developer. The Longhorn Development will not look alien to you. I know this step of MS is not really good for the VB6 experts but you will see when longhorn launches you will love to develop for it. Longhorn has many new technologies that you need to get access to and using VB6 it will be really impossible for you to gain access to the Longhorn APIs.

I have also started the VS.NET and believe you will like it.

i have tested some of my projects on the 4051 PDC build, and everything works fine... i think there will be compatibility in the final version... It would be annoying if VB6 apps wouldnt run...

/Raptor

It would most probably support VB6 apps, but in terms of your applications, if it had API calls, i'm not sure if the API names in Longhorn will still be all intact, or change a bit.

Most mainstream apps should be .net compliant by the time LH rolls around. Heck developers should have 2 solid years with the LH SDK by that time. There may be some sort of compatibility/virtual environment for VB6 apps but like now with XP and 9x apps, compatibility does not mean run perfect, it just means run.

come on microsoft won't document the API's of Avalon for use with VB or VC++. They will make the environment clean by using the .NET applications all over the place. But this is very annoying because I spent 5 years of my life learning the VB5 and VB6 and now people are telling me to learn VB.NET and I am sure it will probably take 5 more years of my life. :blink:

it shouldn't take you 5 years to learn vb... :huh: if it does, maybe you're destined to something other than programming ;)

i meant development for LH. Learning about the Avalon APIs, WinFX, Indigo and lots more.

i meant development for LH. Learning about the Avalon APIs, WinFX, Indigo and lots more.

.net does make it a hack of a lot simpler. I'll be able to install the Longhorn SDK when it's available, and program for Longhorn with .net, easily!

.NET is the future, no matter will you accept it or not. And it is good that MS released .NET 3 years before Longhorn, so now the programmers can prepare for the future. But you can bet your ass that untill Longhorn MS will release another revision of .NET which will support the future APIs in we can say with its real name - Windows NT 6, and now NT real means "New Technology".

And I can say for myself, I am Delphi developer I never liked MS programming languages. Borland are always been and will be my favourites. I started studying Delphi 8 and why can I say it is perfect you can still create new managed applications in the Delphi way (no need to learn new things about .NET) or create applications only using the native framework - I do not like this way because it is the Microsoft way which is sooo diffrent to my understanding how to create applications. I will repeat myself - Borland rules.

because I spent 5 years of my life learning the VB5 and VB6 and now people are telling me to learn VB.NET and I am sure it will probably take 5 more years of my life.  :blink:

if you needed 5 years to learn VB6 and then think you need another 5 years just to move over to VB.NET, i'd suggest to ditch programming.

I am Delphi developer I never liked MS programming languages

c and c++ aren't MS languages. :hmmm:

.NET is the future, no matter will you accept it or not. And it is good that MS released .NET 3 years before Longhorn, so now the programmers can prepare for the future. But you can bet your ass that untill Longhorn MS will release another revision of .NET which will support the future APIs in we can say with its real name - Windows NT 6, and now NT real means "New Technology".

And I can say for myself, I am Delphi developer I never liked MS programming languages. Borland are always been and will be my favourites. I started studying Delphi 8 and why can I say it is perfect you can still create new managed applications in the Delphi way (no need to learn new things about .NET) or create applications only using the native framework - I do not like this way because it is the Microsoft way which is sooo diffrent to my understanding how to create applications. I will repeat myself - Borland rules.

I surely agree with you but what can we do? I think nothing. Changing the taste of the world is not easy and microsoft has done this and we have to keep up with the latest technologies and trends. The world will require Longhorn Compatible software in 2006 (probably) and we will be bound to make our existing apps longhorn compatible which will take us a long time.

The world will require Longhorn Compatible software in 2006 (probably) and we will be bound to make our existing apps longhorn compatible which will take us a long time.

That is what I meant. But for the Borland Delphi developers we just need to recompile the application (in most cases). But I prefer to re-write it.
c and c++ aren't MS languages.

I think everyone knows what I meant and I meant way of programming. The language in .NET doesnt matter everything there is CLR. But you are right I do not like C, but everyone has its taste? I am just wishing that everyone just one time only one time to taste the Borland's way, you will be ravish. :boo:

you don't like c-style languages? :huh: most of the popular languages are OO languages similar or based off of c...

btw, wherever your sig is hosted, get a new host. it's loading EXTREMELY slowly...