Net Logon Service Won't Start

I uninstalled NetLimiter and all of a sudden my computer would no longer access the internet. I checked the services and Net Logon wasn't started so I tried manually starting it and that didn't work. So I restarted, it didn't start automatically or manually. I then reinstalled NetLimiter and restarted, same thing still. I checked the dependencies and the only one listed was WorkStation and that's running fine. In the event log all it says is that Net Logon isn't starting. Any ideas?

I highly doubt all it says is "net logon didn't start" could you please post a bit more detail - What is the event ID for example, are there any other entries in the event log before or after? Also how are you connecting to the net? Since net logon is really only needed to access a domain.

I would not believe that is keeping you from accessing the net - but would need to understand how your connecting to be sure, etc..

Well obviously it doesn't say exactly "Net logon didn't start" but what exactly it did say is...

The system returned the following unexpected error code:

The requested service provider could not be loaded or initialized.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Then it goes on to say click on this link for the help webpage blah blah blah. The event ID is 5737. That link does little for me since I can't access the internet on that computer. The way I am accessing the net is through my dad's computer, both computers hook into a hub which recieves internet through a router. So this computer isn't doing ICS or anything for the computer that isn't working. The only other error in the event log is about DCOM which says...

DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. " attempting to start the service ImapiService with arguments "-Service" in order to run the server:

{520CCA63-51A5-11D3-9144-00104BA11C5E}

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

The net logon service is also the only service that's not working and has been changed. I also tried overwriting the netlogon.dll and netmsg.dll (netmsg.dll was the filename when I tried to send the info to MS) with copies from this computer. The netmsg.dll file was overwritten but the netlogon.dll is in use. And yes, both computers can see and access each other over the network.

Edit: After looking, I found that registry entry in the DCOM error refers to MSN Messenger.

Edited by Gweedo

Well netlimiter must have done something to you network setup, ie the winsock to do what it does. But the netlogon service has NOTHING to do with you not accessing the net.

When you say you have can access the other computer on your network - I am guessing you are only using tcp/ip - or do you have another protocol installed? Ie ipx or netbuei?

So you have an IP address, can you ping the router? What happens when you ping www.yahoo.com - do you get name resolution? Ie does it return an IP address or not.

Off the top as a suggestion, I would suggest you remove tcp/ip and then re-add it - this should fix you up. Could you post a listing of ipconfig all - or just make sure you have a dns server listed.

I can ping the router, but pinging google.com says that the host cannot be found. And by removing TCP/IP, do you mean re-entering the IP addresses and DNS numbers? All the settings are right and you can't remove the TCP/IP protocol in XP. One thing in the ipconfig that's odd is under Node Type it says unknown on my computer but on this computer it says mixed. And yes, I'm only using TCP/IP, no other protocols.

well NOT being able to remove TCP/IP is more of a myth than a FACT ;)

For a quick reset - do this;

netsh interface ip reset c:\logofreset.txt

This will reset your NIC - the txt file will contain everything it did.

edit: here is the link to the MS article - yeah yeah they say it can not be uninstalled, sure OK ;) Just like there was NO way to demote a NT4 PDC to a member server, or promote a member server to be a DC without a reinstall - simple little tool couple of reboots all done. But according to MS, can not do it with out a reinstall, etc.. etc.. Not EVERYTHING MS says is gospel :)

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;EN-US;Q299357

Edited by BudMan

No luck. I tried resetting the router, then I was looking around in the router and found that it wasn't seeing my IP address and my computer can't access the interface but it can ping it. When I change my IP it shows up but still won't allow access or internet.

Huh? Did you reset your tcp/ip stack? Who mentioned anything about the router? Why would you reset the router - if your other machines can access the net no problem through the router?

You say you can ping the router - but you can not access the interface, what interface - the routers web interface?

Can you ping IP addresses outside - Ie can you ping google by IP address?

Name: google.com

Addresses: 216.239.39.99, 216.239.57.99, 216.239.37.99

What exactly are you network settings - and are you DHCP or static?

When you reset your nic will most likely end up in DHCP mode - you may need to set it back to static, if it was before, etc..

Resetting the router was my dad's idea, but after finding that it wasn't detecting my computer's IP address it seemed like a good idea.

Yes, the routers web interface.

When I get home I'll try pinging the Google IPs, but I doubt it will work because it seems to ping using hostnames just fine (ie. Home, the name of the computer that works).

My settings are static, but I did try using DHCP just to see if it would work then. The router does both at the same time so that's not the problem.