Need Help, screwed bad.

I have to say that I screwed myself over pretty bad. I am running Win XP, and I had to reinstall it over a old install without deleting or formatting the drive with hopes of being able to save and get access to my old files.

The problem I need help with is being able to access them now, everytime I try to click on my old user folder in Documents and Settings I get an "Access Is Denied" error. The files I need are in the desktop folder in my old user folder.

Is there any way I can disable whatever is protecting that folder? Or any way to get copy them over through dos prompt? I don't really know commands for that. Please help.

I know the files are there because they are still sucking up the HD space. Please Help! Thank you

NTFS file system right ? Tsk tsk... i had the same trouble. Nothing short of a format saved me.. and then, not my data of course. :ermm: Has something to do with encryption i think and being issued a unique identifier which changes when you reinstall. Or something like that, i forget how it goes... Anyways, unfortunately i cannot offer any advice but hopefully someone here will be kind enough to offer a solution.

Best of luck

Greetz

Yes, NTFS. I don't know why but it is the only option I get with my WD 40gb drive. I know I screwed myself bad now. I just want to copy the files to a spare a format :( thanks for replying

you should log in as admin (not an user with admin privileges), select the encrypted files and under the properties tab change the owner of the files to "admin". now u can acces them.

if u don't get this message back...i don't have so much time now, since my hd is f***ed..:(

All you have to do is open any folder then go to tools, then folder options. then uncheck use simple file sharing. After that right click the folder with the files, go to security tab, then click advanced. After that click the ownership tab and highlight Administrators then check the replace owner on all files and subfolders checkbox (or something similar its the only checkbox there) then click apply. should give you full access to the files as long as they weren't encrypted, if they were, you probly won't get them back if the keys were overwritten.