Windows Codename Longhorn

The biggest thing I don't understand about "Longhorn" is why it is going to take another 4 years to release it :huh: I understand that it's going to be a huge release, but this would be giving Microsoft a total of 6-8 years (roughly) of time to build this operating system and the betas are expected to start shortly after Windows XP Service Pack 2 is released. So what is taking so long for Longhorn? And if it really going to be released between 2006-2008, what's so wrong with the idea of Windows XP Reloaded ... I was something new :yes: and 6-8 years is a long time to wait to release a new OS when all their other releases were around two years apart from each other!

...as much as i hate microsoft...

:pinch: I don't understand why so many people hate Microsoft. I understand that they are "money gready," but honestly, they are a corporation and most corporations I have ever heard of take the dollar and not give it ;) Another thing is that other corporations are just as bad.

I know that Microsoft hasn't taken the time in the past to make sure that every bugs are filled, but I don't care what anyone says ... Linux and Mac hasn't just as many holes - it's just there's not as many out there trying to exploit those holes.

I run all three ... Mac OS X (Server Edition), Mac OS X (3 systems), Mandrake Linux 9.2, Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition, and Windows XP Professional (4 system). And I would always choose Windows because it is the easiest to use. I understand that it is fustrating when Windows crashes, but there are more factors then just the OS. Maybe the problem is also the wide range of programs (that aren't written well), buggy drivers, bad hardware. There are thousands are reasons and Microsoft isn't the cause of all your computer problems. When I was taking a CompTIA (A+) Course, my instructor always said, "99.9% of computer problems are caused be the user behind the keyboard."

Mac OS X is an awesome OS, but it has it's problems just as Linux and Windows do too. There is no such thing as a perfect OS, and if there ever is one, the programmer will have spent a lifetime working on it! My personal opinion is, instead of bringing a new OS out every 2 years, build on the one that you already have ... something that Microsoft has never really accomplished!

u can all slate "longhorn" now,

lol. but ya i do agree with you. i remember my parents ""you dont need xp, ME is good enough. its all your fault there is nothing wrong with the computer blablabla. if you would just stopp messign around with it bla bla bla". now that i do have xp, i cant live without it.

Longhorn is comming along really nicely. 4053 flies on my Athlon 3200+, and the explorer filter pane is a godsend. If i'm looking for something in a hurry in a folder, I type a name and it finds it practically instantly (except in System32, where it takes 10 seconds max :p). I really can't wait till the betas start.

@aliasNIGMA: whats wrong with Microsoft integrating their products into their OS? Apple has just as much, if not more, integration in MacOSX. Integration makes every single product easier to use, and 95% of the time MS's offerings are better than the competiton.

Are you joking? Have you even used MacOS X? Almost nothing is integrated into the Core OS. Granted, Apple bundle programmes into the release of the OS, but they are not 'integrated' as such. Even Paul Thurrott (whom I really don't like) admits this.

I am sick and tired of people saying Apple integrates Quicktime, etc. into MacOSX. It isn't true.

QuickTime is a core technology in OS X the same way that Java, Carbon, Cocoa, Quartz and OpenGL are.

You might be thinking about quicktime player which is just an application that uses QuickTime to playback media, sort of like how iTunes uses quicktime. You can toss out either player application, but if you remove quicktime 'proper' then os x will no longer function correctly.

source:

http://developer.apple.com/macosx/architecture/index.html

QuickTime is integrated.

QuickTime Player is not.

QuickTime is the multimedia subsystem in os x (along side coreaudio and corevideo) similar to how webkit is the HTML rendering engine (and EMCA script, etc) and is provided as a standard component in OS X 10.3 but safari - the browser that uses webkit is not integrated.

so what happens when you type neowin.net into your address bar in a folder? or do you not have an address bar?

There isn't an address bar. EDIT in the finder there is the "path" menu which shows all the folders beneath the one your are currently looking at, I attached a screenshot to give you an idea of how it looks. In that screenshot I double clicked my hard drive, then applications, then utilities, then clicked on the path menu.

But suppose I'm running MS Word and I click on a URL embeded in the document: it will launch whatever my default web browser is set to. I believe the default is to use safari in 10.3 _unless_ you chose to install Internet Explorer during installation (IE is on the first OS X). If you want to change your default browser the easiest way is to choose a new one from the drop down list in the safari preferences window.

If you delete all your browsers and click on a link then nothing happens.

Edited by the evn show

thats waht i dont like about osx, it oversimplifies it and it dosent let you do what you want to do. in lh it has the same "path" thing except it has one for every folder you visit so that if you say clicked on drive Longhorn in "computer", clicking onthe "Longhorn" arrow will bring up a list that shows all the stuff in Computer. also clicking somewhere on there(dont remember if its after the title or after the last "path" list cause iove only used it for a few hours) it brings up an address bar.

post-83-1078453468.jpg

thats waht i dont like about osx, it oversimplifies it and it dosent let you do what you want to do.

Expect a PM in a few minutes because I don't want to derail this topic with a Finder vs Explorer usability comparison (I'd love to talk about OS X vs Windows, maybe in the soap box?).

The jest of the argument will be: Finder is easily as keyboard-friendly as Windows Explorer, but the keyboard access is integrated in such a way that that the address bar would be redundant.

You're thoughts that OS X over simplifies and "doesn't let you do what you want to do" have nothing to do with the fact that safari is not integrated into OS X the same way that IE is integrated into Windows and can be removed or replaced with no ill consequences. Your complaints about finder (apparently based on a single cropped screenshot) are an interface issue and not relevant to this discussion.

Nor does it address that QuickTime IS integrated into OS X but that QuickTime is not a program, and that none of the applications bundled with OS X are integrated to the point they cannot be removed or replaced without damaging core functionality.

I'd love to see a similar attitude taken by Microsoft designers for the next windows but I doubt that is very likely. Microsoft has blurred the line Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer so much that it would be very difficult to completely remove IE and it's functionality from windows without breaking key functionality (if you so desired).

Even today, if you delete Internet Explorer you can no longer use the #1 item on the start menu (Windows Update).

hmmm.... I always thought that windows explorer was internet explorer.... because they are so intergrated together that it almost seems as if they were together... For example, try removing Internet explorer, and go to windows explorer and type in a web address, suprisingly enoght, it'll go to the web address in hte same window.

Internet Explorer is pretty much the samething as Windows Explorer. I have heard that they are going to get rid of Internet Explorer in Longhorn or Blackcomb and just use Windows Explorer. (But that's only a rumor I've heard)