Query: What features should be added to Longhorn?

...Although I think that by creating the "My Shell Folders", Microsoft increases the chance that novice users will be moving actual files around the harddrive, thus disturbing applications that attempt to log each file to its orginal place, and only create a UI that lets users visually move files around. If microsoft wants to continue using these shells as places to go, they should somehow create a tracking system so that when a file is moved, applications that need original file locations (e.g. iTunes) will play the moved songs without users having to search for them.

of course, i don't know enough about computers to back up what i'm really talking about, so i'd need confirmation on what i'm saying before i can stop calling this jibberish. : P

the new shell folders are virutal libraries, not actual locations that aggregate all your pictures/music/documents/whatever on your computer. MS's idea is that everything is thrown in one central storage location (in Longhorn 4051, its \\defaultstore, a network folder) and the shell will display the correct files, depending on the library you opened. The user isn't supposed to need to organize or move their files anymore, filters are in place to quickly find a file. The user no longer directly interacts with the filesystem through the shell in Longhorn, it has WinFS as a middleman. So an application shouldn't need to be told a file has moved because, in theory, the user shouldnt have to move a file. And any program written for longhorn could track your documents simply by opening it through, lets say, the Document Library, so it will always find it whether the file was moved or not.

@ForkliftDude, check today's news articles on the front page, they are working on technologies that *will* be able to determine whether a program is malicious or not, based on its actions.

Kill the registry (set up a psuedo-registry for legacy software).

Right on. I hate having programs not work when you reinstall the os because the registry gets deleted. Yah, you can copy it, but it usually will keep things screwed up then.

Lets see...

Less crashing

The option of whether or not to resize pics in IE

Less crashing

Being able to just see the icon, not words, in the taskbar

Less crashing

Automatically displaying the status bar in IE

Less crashing

An option whether or not to show the taskbar icons (next to clock)\

And most of all,

STOP BEING UPTIGHT ABOUT USING OTHER THEMES! Don't make us hack the .dll's to use other themes!

(Betcha thought I was gonna say less crashing, but no, I'm too smart for you all ;)

the new shell folders are virutal libraries, not actual locations that aggregate all your pictures/music/documents/whatever on your computer. MS's idea is that everything is thrown in one central storage location (in Longhorn 4051, its \\defaultstore, a network folder) and the shell will display the correct files, depending on the library you opened. The user isn't supposed to need to organize or move their files anymore, filters are in place to quickly find a file. The user no longer directly interacts with the filesystem through the shell in Longhorn, it has WinFS as a middleman. So an application shouldn't need to be told a file has moved because, in theory, the user shouldnt have to move a file. And any program written for longhorn could track your documents simply by opening it through, lets say, the Document Library, so it will always find it whether the file was moved or not.

@ForkliftDude, check today's news articles on the front page, they are working on technologies that *will* be able to determine whether a program is malicious or not, based on its actions.

Yeah, a good way to make a relation to what we have today to look at is Outlook 2003?s search folders. Basically it's filters that search your inbox and move them into virtual folders for better organization, while still keeping all your mail in one box in the program.

and to psgamer0921

How does XP crash all the time for you:huh:h:

Features i want implemented:

Being able to download security updates prior/during to the installation progress. So that the system can't be corrupted after a clean install.

A better seperation of system-based information and user-based. Force the users to make at least 2 partitions.

Not really a feature but please get the windows user get used to the fact to differentitate between normal user and admin accounts.

A tool called WindowsUpdate rather than a website. Every update should/could be stored on a folder. So you only have to download it once and can use it again after a reinstall. (I now it can be done with todays updates but its not user friendly.)

Tabbed Interface all the way (like El_Cu_Guy said)

Give the user more control over the position, size of the windows

More flexibility in design. make it easy for everone to customize their copy of windows.

GUI for batch processing. eg create your own Folder Tasks. (if a jpg file is dropped here resize it to 123x123 and move it to ..., publish a copy on www.example.org ....)

I new some of the ideas aren't new (based on other OSs) but they are a must IMO

Edit: Added some ideas

Edited by EvErSoR

GUI for batch processing. eg create your own Folder Tasks. (if a jpg file is dropped here resize it to 123x123 and move it to ..., publish a copy on www.example.org ....)

Damn that sounds awesome.

Less crashing

The option of whether or not to resize pics in IE

Less crashing

Less crashing

Automatically displaying the status bar in IE

Less crashing

And most of all,

STOP BEING UPTIGHT ABOUT USING OTHER THEMES! Don't make us hack the .dll's to use other themes!

(Betcha thought I was gonna say less crashing, but no, I'm too smart for you all ;)

lets see... #1 fixed in XP... #2 is an option in IE6, look in your preferences before demanding features that already exist... #3 fixed in XP... #4 fixed in XP... #5 is a security feature in XPSP2... #6 fixed in XP

last one... has a very good chance of happening in LH :cool: :ninja: :woot:

I heard something about mircosoft saying that they got like 200 guys programming the internals of longhorn for it to be better for games eg: directX and performance, so that out of the box you dont have to fiddle around with the drivers and system settings etc. (So this is what I hope for in longhorn)