JUSTICE! - Gold for Canadian Pair

ESPN

The Canadian Figure Skating pairs team was given a gold medal today. The Russian team retained their gold medal and a dual set was awarded to the Canadians. A judge was suspended as a result. The above link has the full story.

I have only one other thing to say:

About time!

Do you think its fair that they got the gold.

I don't. But Don't get me wrong I'm glade they did.

But France and Russian weren't the only 2 countries that gave russia first place. And even though the Russians faultered 1 time they did have a better routine then the canadians.

Yesterday in the mens long event

The american hit bigger and better jumps then the 2 russians who faultered buy the russian won the metals because of there routine not because of the difficulty..

No offense but I think the canadian pair are sore losers

Originally posted by Mike11212  

Do you think its fair that they got the gold.

I don't. But Don't get me wrong I'm glade they did.

But France and Russian weren't the only 2 countries that gave russia first place. And even though the Russians faultered 1 time they did have a better routine then the canadians.

Yesterday in the mens long event

The american hit bigger and better jumps then the 2 russians who faultered buy the russian won the metals because of there routine not because of the difficulty..

You're lost.

a little uninformed, wouldn't you say?

everyone knows that Sale and Pelletier said nothing about wanting gold. they were EXTREMELY good sports over this matter and they would still be happy even if they never eventually got that gold medal. it was everyone ELSE in practically the whole world wwho thought it was extremely unfair (you can even hear it i nthe crowds when the scores came in), and that's what prompted the olympic committee to act.

i suggest you keep quiet about things you have NO prior knowledge about.

It's obvious at this point that the judge was biased in her decision originally. That's wrong, no matter who the vote is intended to favor. If the Canadians were practically faultless, and the Russians had some quirks, then the Canadians would get the gold.

I'm sure this isn't the first and only time that this has happened, or will happen, as sad as that is. The whole Salt Lake Olympic event has been centered around scandalous crap since Salt Lake was chosen to host the event.

I have watched a grand total of three minutes of Olympic coverage this year. That was the beginning of the opening ceremony. Sounds like I'm missing "Days of Our Olympics." They have this on as Day Time Drama, right? [Grin]

From here on out, may the best athletes win the Gold, Silver and Bronze. :-)

If they didn't want the gold they wouldn't have encouraged or patitioned for an investigation.

Sale and Pelletier didn't petition for an investigation. They accepted the judges decision and only encouraged the investigation after it had become apparent that something shady had gone on. The investigation started when the judges themselves came up to the media and said that something peculiar had happened.

It seems that you think the canadians whined until they got their way. This is simply not the case. The russian judge, it appears, was trying to trade votes with the french judge. You vote for our guys here, we'll vote for your guys over here. I find it hard to believe that anyone would say that vote trading is a good way to settle the olympics.

What disturbs me is the possibility that Sale and Pelletier were awarded golds in order to sweep what appears to be a much larger problem under the rug. They deserved the medals, i think most reasonable people who watched the event would agree with that assessment. However, there was some real tough language thrown around in the days following the scandal. Words like banning figure skating from the olympics, etc.

One could make the argument that the skaters were given the medals so the problem would just go away, but i hope that this is not the last we hear of this problem and that real reform to the way the figure skating events are judged are enacted.

In any event, what toxikk and others have said is the gods honest truth. They should have gotten it from the start.

On a similar note, do you think the Chinese team was misjudged? It was expected that their scores should have been higher. The crowd booed the when the scores were shown and the commentators described how the performance was flawless, except for their spinning. When the male threw the female, it was higher than the other pairs, and some parts of their routine flowed better than other teams. For this, shouldn't their technical or presentation merit score be higher. But i must say, at least the Canadian pair has been judged more fairly now, and they deserve the gold for their hard work.:)

...And even though the Russians faultered 1 time they did have a better routine then the canadians...

I watched the replay on tv and from what I saw the Russians made 2 noticable mistakes/slip ups.

At this point, awarding the gold medals to the Canadians as well as the Russians was a way for the Olympic committee to now change the focus of these games. The 2002 Winter Olympics will be forever remembered as the ones where the Canadians got ripped off.

Cheating and dirty dealing have been in the Olympics for years, everybody knew what was going on in many sports, especially figure skating. This was a great thing that happened, that the lid was finally blown off one sport. Everybody knew the Canadian pair won. Everybody.

The one French judge should not be made the scapegoat. At least she had the nerve to admit the truth.