What's your opinion of a hacker???

Hi, since I'm new on the board I would just like to say that I have been visiting neowin for about a year but I never wanted to register with on the board untill now :)

since I'm here i want to kick of with my first post and ask you guys what you think of a hackers. I was wondering about your opinions about hackers like; good/bad, smart/stupid, legal/illegal males/females and so on :) :)

I found a really good info article on hackers. Whenever I think of hackers it often describes all hackers the same. If you're a hacker what category do you fall into below?

Script Kiddies are novices that have little skill, few resources, little expertise and little knowledge of the system they are attacking. They typically use tools written by White Hat Hackers and think that they know a whole lot more than they really do. Both Black and White Hat Hackers sneer in contempt at Script Kiddies. However, they do exist and they can wreak havoc on unprotected systems.

White Hat Hackers are very technical people that try to access systems for the sheer thrill of it. They are often referred to as Old School or Noble Hackers (and hence the original definition above). Their goal is typically twofold: the first is to see if they can increase their technical knowledge by hacking into systems and seeing what makes them tick; the other is to verify that if a vendor claims that their product is secure, that it is indeed so. They will identify potential vulnerabilities and alert the vendors and after time is given for the vendor to react, publish the vulnerability to ensure that everyone knows about it (otherwise, only a few people would know, which is not a good thing). So why worry about White Hat Hackers? The problem is that in publishing the vulnerability, they sometimes publish an attack tool that greatly simplifies the use of the vulnerability. This tool is usually what is used by Script Kiddies in their attacks.

Black Hat Hackers are very technical people that try to access systems for malevolent purposes. These people seek to enter systems usually with the intention of embarrassing companies by destroying, defacing, or corrupting their systems. In addition to their high skills, they tend to have sophisticated resources and tools at their disposal and have intricate knowledge of the architecture and setup of the systems they are attacking.

Hacktivists are people generally with fewer skills and resources than Black Hat Hackers, but whose motive is to attack systems for political or religious reasons. Their sole goal is to make a statement, and if it requires hacking into a system to access information, deface it, or destroy it, they will do it.

Corporate Spies are people with fair to excellent computer science skills whose single motive is financial. If they are contracted to get access to information pertaining to the attribution of a major government contract, for example, they will hack whatever systems will need to be hacked in order to acquire that information.

Insiders are people that are hired by a company and work there. They can either be employees or contractors and usually have one of two motives for hacking your systems: the first is for financial gain, the other is for revenge. In the first case, their motives are the same as Corporate Spies. In the second case, it could be a way to compensate for some kind of perceived offense that was done to them, such as a demotion, a cut in pay, or an administrative note in their personnel record. Many security problems occur considerably more often with insiders than outsiders.

Originally posted by Sleeper  

swordfish was a excellent film :)

Of course it was. I know I could crack 128bit encryption in one minute with a gun to my head while getting sucked off.

yer sure, lets c u do it then, get a cmaera and repeat everything again, oh unless ur under 16 and never had a bj, ur never survive, as u clouldn't handal it......lol, neways havkers know looads but just that hacking into others computer is gay.....oh btw just watched swordfish, btilliant film............:) :D

Hacker : Someone that is such a ****ing loser, they have to break into other peoples computers, and **** them up to feel good about themselves. This accomplishes absolutely nothing for them, and ****s the other person over. Complete losers. Just like -msn.. etc

Game Hacker: Almost worse, they have to cheat in the online game, and ruin others gametime, to feel good about themselves. The run around knowing where everyone is, shooting through walls, and somehow trick themselves into thinking they are having fun.

Cracker: Not that bad, they help people who dont have the money to register programs. Its illegal, but they arnt doing anything thats going to really hurt anyone. Just makes companys lose money. Still wrong, but i personally dont mind it.

Low-Level: Some dumb ass that uses sub7 as a joke and goes around trying to **** peoples computers up. People who know how to do stuff that dont do it. I dont mind this, because i know how to do alot of stuff, yet would never do it, therefor im not a hacker, just knowledgable.

Either way. they first 2 are both ****heads

ARGH! :mad:

A hacker is a knowledgable computer user! I'm a hacker, many people on this board are hackers. Even the writers of Jurassic Park got this right! You could say anyone who actually knows what a hacker is is a hacker. :D

You mean a Cracker. A Cracker isn't just someone who writes programs to remove copy protection!

Script kiddies are the scum of the universe. Sad people with no life and serious insecurities, probably because of the pitifully short length of their ding-dong. I was going to say multiplayer game cheaters are worse, but they are the same people. At least the online cheat who wrote the cheat is beating me with his skill in some form. While I don't like that happening and I think the people who do this are losers, the people who don't even write the cheats are just pathetic.

Originally posted by Faction  

Hacker : Someone that is such a ****ing loser, they have to break into other peoples computers, and **** them up to feel good about themselves. This accomplishes absolutely nothing for them, and ****s the other person over. Complete losers. Just like -msn.. etc

YOU ARE SO WRONG IT'S EVEN FUNNY! and msn- isn't even a "hacker"

Game Hacker: Almost worse, they have to cheat in the online game, and ruin others gametime, to feel good about themselves. The run around knowing where everyone is, shooting through walls, and somehow trick themselves into thinking they are having fun.
cheater != game hacker! don't confuse those 2
Cracker: Not that bad, they help people who dont have the money to register programs. Its illegal, but they arnt doing anything thats going to really hurt anyone. Just makes companys lose money. Still wrong, but i personally dont mind it.

Low-Level: Some dumb ass that uses sub7 as a joke and goes around trying to **** peoples computers up. People who know how to do stuff that dont do it. I dont mind this, because i know how to do alot of stuff, yet would never do it, therefor im not a hacker, just knowledgable.

Either way. they first 2 are both ****heads

ugh, i'm not in the mood to comment on all other crap you wrote above, just it's wrong, your definitions as just as bad as cnn's definition of hacker

A hacker is any one that modifies software. Hackers may also write malicious code or scripts to gain access or wreak havoc.

Script Kiddies are impotent little children with no actual knowledge of computers but use other peoples poorly written software to play tricks on thier friends and others computers.

A hacker is anyone who tweaks with anything. People who tweak with hardware and software are computer hackers. People who tweak with guitars and amps and such are music hackers. People who supermodify their cars are car hackers. People who look to push their home theater to the limit are electronics hackers. The list goes on and on...

Righto, yes, originaly, hackers where people that "modifided" there own computers, be it software or hardware or paintjobs or anything. So yes, i think it is pretty safe to say 99.9% of the people that are reading this forum, are hackers.

Crackers where people that broke open code and security systems for good (security gurus), or bad (stealing stuff customer info, or implainting viruses, or system crashes).

BUT

i think the mentality of the computer comunity has changed, to generalize the electronic world.

Hacker : Somebody that breaks into webservers, or *nix shells, or company networks, be it for security checking, or defaceing a companies website, or to gain access to another DDoS server, or for access to company information.

Cracker : Somebody that changes software code, so that it performs differently then the origanl coder intended, or writes software so that it gets around another programs piracy protection, or......i think that pretty much covers it.

Script Kiddies : unl33t n3w8i3s, that use another persons software to do something not very nice (DoS, DDoS, gain access to shells) to another person that has ****ed them off somehow. Script kiddies generaly do not have the skills to do this sort of thing so it is all simplified into small program calls, generaly accessed using IRC, or *nix shells. Most Script Kiddies are n083i3s and will never ammount to anything, and will get strung up by the FEDs early in life, but some do cross over into the Hackz0r classes. I know of a couple of n3w8i3 white hat hackers atm.

Hacker: Anyone who has a desire to gain access to anything they aren't meant to, out of curiosity, fun, or for their job. Just because you can hex-edit or Dos a server you aren't a hacker... real hackers have many of these skills:

- Coding in C/C++ (or another powerful language, rarely includes Visual Basic ... thats a bit more of a cracker language )

- Know how to use Windows perfectly.

- Know how to use *nix perfectly.

- Know about hardware.

- Know basic things like setting up servers, coding html, protocols, etc.

- Know the law.

- Know about networking.

- Know about encryption, basic securities like that.

- Hack for a reason - dont just choose a random IIS server that isn't patched.

- Many help out the admins of a server after they hack it.

IBM came up with thier own taxonomy for hackers Class I/II/III

Other poeple just know them as:

01. Basic Hackers (Script Kiddies)

02. Elite Hackers

03. Dark Siders

04. Data Brokers

01. Age: 11-22, Follow other poeple's hacking methodsMotivation: Fun/Acceptance/curiousity

02. Age: 30+ Create methods, post on hacker boards for script kiddies to use

03. Motivation: gain money/harm others/etc..

04. Use dark siders/sript kiddies to perform thier dirty work, but are not involved.

the aforementioned nomenclature corresponds to what I learnt during a course ....

Hacking if used incorrectly is harmful, but otherwise it can be quite useful. (Increase speed/performance/stability/etc... in hardware/software/electronics/anything really)

I'm new and by reading this stuff I've pretty much decided that hackers are bad and crackers are good...at least from my retired, fixed income point of view. Today, for the first time, I went and downloaded some cracks, etc and was able to successfully upgrade about a half a dozen of my programs (roxio,nero,clone cd, and a couple others). I must admit I felt a perverse pleasure once I put it all together and it worked!!! I guess I'm BAD but sometimes...

Originally posted by doxtr111  

I'm new and by reading this stuff I've pretty much decided that hackers are bad and crackers are good...

you couldn't get it more wrong. it's totaly and completly opposite.

LET ME FIX THIS...

If you keep up with ANY type of news (wired, TechTV, NEOWIN) you would know that the difference is...

HACKER - Breaks into.

CRACKER - Breaks into and HARMS.

Originally posted by MxxCon  

YOU ARE SO WRONG IT'S EVEN FUNNY! and msn- isn't even a "hacker"

cheater != game hacker! don't confuse those 2

ugh, i'm not in the mood to comment on all other crap you wrote above, just it's wrong, your definitions as just as bad as cnn's definition of hacker

Lol your stupidity amazes me. A cheater and a hacker are the same thing, but using a cheat, is like entering a code, hacking, is using wallhack-aimhack etc. Because your hacking files / the game.

Your stupid or just really ****ing nerdy