Member Vote on Forum Order

Move the Help & Discussion Category up  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Move the Help & Discussion Category up

• No, leave it as it is
    • Yes, Help & Discussion as 1st Category
    • Admins can decide, they rock my world!

I would like to move the Help & Discussion Center up to the top of the forums and move General Category down to above the Neowin Related Discussion forums (so quite a bit lower than it is now)

This is to help regain a more Tech-look for the site, it may actually help members start focusing more on the tech aspects of the site.

But this is a pure vote for members, so whoever wins, wins! feel free to comment or talk me out of this ludicrous idea

A couple of questions....

1. Do u know how many people join the forums because of the jokes/desktop pics and not becoz it is a tech forum? I would think it is hard to get those numbers but still a lot I believe..Does moving them down bring down the members joining Neowin?

2. Isn't Neowin more than just a tech forum? Agreed the name stands for Tech related stuff but does moving the sections have to do with re-identifying (pardon me if it's the wrong word) or reinforcing Neowin as a tech forum?

I guess you can try it for a couple of months and then go back if needed....

I would like to move the Help & Discussion Center up to the top of the forums and move General Category down to above the Neowin Related Discussion forums (so quite a bit lower than it is now)

This is to help regain a more Tech-look for the site, it may actually help members start focusing more on the tech aspects of the site.

But this is a pure vote for members, so whoever wins, wins! feel free to comment or talk me out of this ludicrous idea

I don't like change... I say leave it be. I mean we've very sucessful so far the way it is. haven't we?

I say let's give it a try. :) No harm in that. :)

Also, so maybe in this new "Tech-Look", AutoPatcher could be it's own main forum, and not a sub-forum? :D

A couple of questions....

1. Do u know how many people join the forums because of the jokes/desktop pics and not becoz it is a tech forum? I would think it is hard to get those numbers but still a lot I believe..Does moving them down bring down the members joining Neowin?

2. Isn't Neowin more than just a tech forum? Agreed the name stands for Tech related stuff but does moving the sections have to do with re-identifying (pardon me if it's the wrong word) or reinforcing Neowin as a tech forum?

I guess you can try it for a couple of months and then go back if needed....

to 1: I think its a combination of both, and moving the forums down won't result in a decline because the threads are still accessed from the Main page

and 2 answer 2, to be blunt - yes

to 1: I think its a combination of both, and moving the forums down won't result in a decline because the threads are still accessed from the Main page

and 2 answer 2, to be blunt - yes

Go 4 the change then... ;)

Neobond, u r scaring me with the avatar :blink:

Edited by bonobozoot

i say move it .. most forums have offtopic stuff at the bottom .. people act like you're going to take it away .. it's still there, just down a few spots .. all is still good

While it will take some adjusting to (I browse categories in a set order) I think it is for the best. The general sections are way too popular for a mainly tech site. Moving them down may encourage new users, like you have said, to use the tech areas first.

I say move it, more tech related discussion if it occurs is always good. Although I can't imagine it'll have an instant profound impact, we'll only really be able to tell how well it's worked over periods of months.