Organizing MP3s

I have several thousand MP3's I'd say, but I'm looking for another way of organizing them. Possibly by Genre, or even Artist. I'm eager to see the ways that my fellow Neowinians have come up with to organize theirs, before I make a final decision. Please share how you organize yours.

- AV

Organize eh? I created a folder, called music, with 3 subfolders, good, bad and full. the one called good is for all my MP3s that are not errored (checked with MP3 checker i stumbled upon), and are high quality, then theres bad, for all my low-quality MP3s/errored MP3s. then theres my full albums folder, for full albums.

As to organizing them by genre, artist, etc, its just a waste of time, I just use winamp and press j to "jump to" the song/artist I want to hear. The only reason I could see organizing them is if your burning them and want them by genre, like all country, all folk etc.

Have you gotten your mp3z from the net, or have you done them yourself? If you have gotten them from the net,they may not have proper ID tags. If you know they have proper ID tags, Music Match Jukebox or Windows media player can organize by your ID tags.

If you have done them yourself, they have probably been tagged properly by the program your rip from. If so then the above willl also apply.

It can get messy if you don't have them tagged or if the file names are not unified. Either way it is a pain. But using programs to organize by ID tags is good.

I have it broken down like this:

My Music:

Bootlegs

Remix

Trance

Soundtracks

Then additional sub-folders per Artist and Album for example:

Bootlegs - Pink Floyd - The Bell Rings or

2000 - Pink Floyd - Echos: The Best of Pink Floyd

Originally posted by Ruciz  

Organize eh? I created a folder, called music, with 3 subfolders, good, bad and full. the one called good is for all my MP3s that are not errored (checked with MP3 checker i stumbled upon), and are high quality, then theres bad, for all my low-quality MP3s/errored MP3s. then theres my full albums folder, for full albums.

As to organizing them by genre, artist, etc, its just a waste of time, I just use winamp and press j to "jump to" the song/artist I want to hear. The only reason I could see organizing them is if your burning them and want them by genre, like all country, all folk etc.

what is this mp3 checker you talk about? and what exactly does it do... i might want it :)

I have about 60gigs of mp3s, all sorted by artist and then album. Some artists are a bit better sorted than others of course. I dont have the time to go through and do all the file names properly.

Hey Tronmaster how many Pink Floyd roio's do you have?

A CD Full of Secrets

A Trick of the Light

Animal Instincts

Aphrodite

Atom Heart Mother Goes On The Road

Azimuth Coordinator Part One

Azimuth Coordinator Part Two

Beset By Creatures of the Deep

Boston Gardens 1975

Brick By Brick

British Winter Tour 74

Cold Front

Cosmic Music

Dark Side Of Radio City

De Doelen

Echoes in the Garden

Embryo

Embryo San Diego 1971

Exploding In Your Mind

Floyd in Europe

From Oblivion - 1971

Hot Ashes For Trees

In the Flesh

Ivor Wynne

Live at Montreux 1971

Londonfields

Meddler

Moon Walk

P3

Plays The Animals

Remergence

Singles and Junk

Smoking Blues

Soldier Field 77

Sons of Nothing

Staying Home to Watch the Rain

Stranger than Fiction

The Bell Gets Louder

The Best of Tour '72

The Complete Top Gear Sessions 1967-1969

The Dark Side of the Sky

The Darkside Rehearsals

The Great Gig on the Moon

The Man and The Journey

Total Eclipse Set

Trance Remixs

Welcome to the Machine

Westwood One Superstar Concert Series

What Rog Wants

Yeeshkul

I actually own the majority of those on pressed cd :-p

Hugs and kisses,

Kibler :) :p :cool: :o ;) :D :rambo: :knocked: :old: :p

Mine is all in one folder, no orgainzation. However, you might want to change all your ID3 tags to contain only Artist and Song information. As for the name, I would suggest "Song - Title.mp3" If you have a lot from one artist, then give it its own folder!

i have 1 music folder that has 28 subfolders, one for each letter, one for numbers, and one for unorganized songs

each artist goes in the proper letter folder according to their last name. if i have a full cd or live show i make a folder in the letter folder specifying it

currently i'm organzing my file names and my id3 tags

with over 6000 songs its kinda hard :-

I only have 900+ mp3s. I have them all in 1 directory, "Mp3s" :roll: they're all in the "Artist - Song Name.mp3" format. So if I ever want to create subdirectories for artists, it'll be easy. But album... nah uh... that'll be too tedious :cross:

Well I am completely sick when it comes to organizing, especially my music. Mine is all organized by each artisit then a subfolder within that with the album title. Its just how I rip my cds, and it is better. So if you ripped all your mp3s from cds, then make your ripping program do something like that. If not, then just use some great multimedia functions in XP. Set your explorer display to 'Details' instead of large icons or whatever. In the specs it shows, add something like genre or whatever you want to organize them by. Make windows sort them by genre and just cut n paste them into specific folders for that. Works the same with artist, album etc. If you want to see how mine looks you can kind of get an idea by clicking here

Another thing to do is get Tag&Rename 2.0. If you have an album ripped but no id3 tags or not very accurate ones, it will go to the CDDB and get the tags and write them for you. This is one of the best programs I have ever used, it does EVERYTHING. Get that here

Originally posted by axis  

....If you want to see how mine looks you can kind of get an idea by clicking here ....

axis, I really like that webpage type thing. I'm guessing its a layout of all your files in a certain directory or whatever. And im also guessing that you didn't do it by hand. I have been looking for a program like that for a long time. Can you tell me the program you used for that?

oh and uhh.. are you really a p.o.w.?

Hi Kibler!!

Yea big Pink Floyd fan here ;)

Here is my list:

A Tree Full of Secrets (17 discs but I still need 3 to complete my collection)

A Trick Of Light

Brain Damage

Brick By Brick

Caught In The Crossfire

Childhood's End

Echoes In The Garden

Eclipse

For Whom The Bell Tolls

Forbidden Samples

Fort Worth, Texas

From Oblivion

From The Other Side

Interstellar Crossing

Interstellar Encore

Man And The Journey

Mutinae

Oakland 1977

Phenomena

Reversion or Revalorization

Roger Waters Welcome To The Machine

Smoking Blues

The Bell Gets Louder

The Knebworth Tales '90

The Live Bell

The Wall Movie

Tongue Tied And Twisted

Welcome To The Machine (Trance)

World Tour 1987

Whew....thats it! :)

for those who organize by artist/album, this program might suit you, it's like the one axis mentions, but it grabs the info from websites that doesn't seem to be cddb. sometimes, i can't find the exact one i'm looking for, depending on the country of the cd's origin. anyway check it out @ mp3ir.com

should tell u that in the ID3 comments mp3ir.com is inserted though.

Yea the program I used for that was called DirHTML, tho it didnt do it exactly like that. I had to go into the HTML and do a couple 'global replaces' on certain parts to get it bold, spaced and colored right. I guess you can do that by configuring its config file but I couldnt figure it out. It just took a listing of all my files in my 'Music' folder and listed them. You can set file sizes, dates etc. Pretty customizable, if you figure out those config files please tell me how you did it, I hate how I did it.

Also, Tag&Rename also will check www.allmusic.com for your track listings if it doesnt get it from the CDDB, ive never used it so I dunno if it works, just the CDDB for me. I suppose it is similar to mp3ir.com.