WinHec Build

What changes from the PDC Build and build 4053 do you think there will be when and if there is a WinHec Build?

I'm not completely positive, but I have heard from a friend that works at Microsoft that there will be a new theme (instead of Slate or Plex) that will be fun to "play around with" ... "note Aero, but something close to what we think Aero might look like in early stages." Of course, my friend could also be filling me with a bunch of bs as well! We'll find out soon enough though! He also said that there might be the basics of WinFS in the next build, but he didn't say much about it though :unsure: I could see that though since Yukon is coming out here shortly and it is suppose to have WinFS in it :unsure:

Hopefully WinFS might have progressed a bit, and ways of utilising it more readily accessible so MS can start showing off that area. I think the graphical part is going to be one of the last parts, The structure might be put in place so we can see samples of what the framework is capable of but nothing resembling what the retail product might look and act like.

Hopefully WinFS might have progressed a bit, and ways of utilising it more readily accessible so MS can start showing off that area. I think the graphical part is going to be one of the last parts, The structure might be put in place so we can see samples of what the framework is capable of but nothing resembling what the retail product might look and act like.

Yeah I knew that, what I think he meant was the framework of Avalon. Sort of like what we see in those concept videos. As of the builds we have now, Avalon is very scarce (at least in my opinion). I think more of Avalon will be present, not Aero. But then again, the only people who know is at Microsoft :yes:

What changes from the PDC Build and build 4053 do you think there will be when and if there is a WinHec Build?

I'm not completely positive, but I have heard from a friend that works at Microsoft that there will be a new theme (instead of Slate or Plex) that will be fun to "play around with" ... "note Aero, but something close to what we think Aero might look like in early stages." Of course, my friend could also be filling me with a bunch of bs as well! We'll find out soon enough though! He also said that there might be the basics of WinFS in the next build, but he didn't say much about it though :unsure: I could see that though since Yukon is coming out here shortly and it is suppose to have WinFS in it :unsure:

WinFS is in all Longhorn builds, but different levels of completeness obviously, you could see the SQL style searches in most builds.

Yukon aka SQL2005 is out next year not this year and does not have Winfs in it, it is used to create Winfs.

WinFS is in all Longhorn builds, but different levels of completeness obviously, you could see the SQL style searches in most builds.

Yukon aka SQL2005 is out next year not this year and does not have Winfs in it, it is used to create Winfs.

Right, Yukon was originally suppose to come out at the end of this year and got pushed back to next year.

WinFS though in Longhorn is broken in most places. But like you said, in each build it is at different levels.

There's not supposed to be a new theme in Longhorn for ages yet (slate stays till near beta). I don't think there are any plans to show off a new theme in the WinHec build. Who knows though. Might see a bit more of DCE at WinHec though ;)

Well, I stayed after the Longhorn chat with experts was over, and I was talking to an MVP that remained there - he said he couldnt talk much about anything that we dont know yet, but we could expect it to be as impressive as the PDC build (the aero keynote one), at least. So that means DCE effects and Avalon/Aero :).

Cant wait tho, specially for it to leak :).

Well, I stayed after the Longhorn chat with experts was over, and I was talking to an MVP that remained there  - he said he couldnt talk much about anything that we dont know yet, but we could expect it to be as impressive as the PDC build (the aero keynote one), at least. So that means DCE effects and Avalon/Aero :).

Cant wait tho, specially for it to leak :).

ahh, finally some good news! :woot:

Thanks!

Michael

PDC build was not impressive.

Well, after Paul said that the PDC Build was going to be awesome ... I was really dissapointed. I mean, I understand Microsoft is taking their time with Longhorn but what have they been doing in the last 2, almost 3 years since XP came out? That was my question! If they had only been working on it for a year or less I wouldn't have cared, but up to Longhorn b.4053, the only difference between XP and that build is a few UI tweaks and more bugs (there are more, but not a huge change)! IMO

Well, after Paul said that the PDC Build was going to be awesome ... I was really dissapointed. I mean, I understand Microsoft is taking their time with Longhorn but what have they been doing in the last 2, almost 3 years since XP came out? That was my question! If they had only been working on it for a year or less I wouldn't have cared, but up to Longhorn b.4053, the only difference between XP and that build is a few UI tweaks and more bugs (there are more, but not a huge change)! IMO

Biggest problem with the PDC build was the speed of the OS, apparently the WinHEC build is going to be more useable in regard to but not as a proper OS obviously.

4053 was responsive relative to 51.

cant wait!!!

i actually like slate more than luna though. a lot more. i hope that it will suck compared to aero cause that would mean aero would be really cool.

i htink there will be more winfs, moe sidebar functionality, luna would work better, better networking, better stabilty, sp2 features.

WinHEC Proly wont have DCE according to a Microsoft Employee

Uhm, whered you get that info? Which employee? Can they be trusted? Why should we believe you?

Just wondering :).

We'll just have to wait and see. I doubt there will be a new theme included with the new leak. Most of the videos out of recent "advantages of longhorn technology" still show the slate theme. Also, if you watch the .NET show or whatever, they demo longhorn still using slate theme. I just hope it is a release that we can do a little more with. Either way, I am excited about it.

Uhm, whered you get that info? Which employee? Can they be trusted? Why should we believe you?

Just wondering :).

Baha Source yes I've got a source.

It's offline ATM but I'll link to it when it comes back up.