Why is Weed Illegal?

... ?

I'm sure you hate people who smoke cigarettes too and as far as I know they're still smoking outside. People who want to smoke have as much rights as you. You can't just lock someone in their house because you're annoyed by smoke.

I hate people who are drunk and cause trouble in bars and in other numerous places. Do you see me try to make alcohol illegal ? Not, I deal with it and you should too.

And of course this has never happened to alcoholics...?

Thats what happen with you talk with people who don't have a clue. They just repeat what the media tells them, Anti-marijuana ads, etc...

... ?

I'm sure you hate people who smoke cigarettes too and as far as I know they're still smoking outside. People who want to smoke have as much rights as you. You can't just lock someone in their house because you're annoyed by smoke.

I hate people who are drunk and cause trouble in bars and in other numerous places. Do you see me try to make alcohol illegal ? Not, I deal with it and you should too.

Well actually, in my country you can't smoke inside a lot of places now, and hopefully they get rid of it completely in all places. Do you like it, when u wake up in the morning and ur clothes stink of smoke, ur hair stinks of smoke? Maybe you do, I dont tho. I dont want to breathe that crap in.

Me drinking a beer next to you will do nothing to you. If on the other hand I was smoking whatever next to you, you'd get smoke all over you.

Well, if it was legal, where would you smoke it? I and a lot of other ppl dont want to be around the 'smoke'. So odds are you'd still have to stay in ur own house.

Most people dont want to inhale tobacco, and you can smoke that in many a location.

Most people dont want to inhale tobacco, and you can smoke that in many a location.

Yes, but they are cutting that down. A few years ago you could smoke pretty much anywhere, that has changed quite a bit now.

Yes, but they are cutting that down. A few years ago you could smoke pretty much anywhere, that has changed quite a bit now.

Ok, whats your point. You can still do it.

Ok, whats your point. You can still do it.

My point is, if weed was legalised, where would you smoke it? xplatinum complained that he had to hide away when he wanted to smoke. Currently, they are enforcing laws where smoking cigarettes is prohibited in a lot of public places. Yes, currently you can still smoke in some places, but hopefully if they continue the current trend you wont be able to in many places at all.

That doens't change the fact that it should be legalized. Especially for use in bars (where smoking and drinking will always be allowed), public smoking areas, and private residences. That seems plenty.

Actually, I believe a lot of bars are banning cigarette smoking (I think Ireland or maybe N. Ireland has banned smoking in all public places).

Edit: To make myself clear, I see nothing wrong with the legalization of smoking cannabis in your own home but not in public places.

May I reference Amsterdam

Yeah, ok, I'll fly to Amsterdam just to smoke some weed. And people say that weed doesn't dumb you down.

What I'm saying is, I don't want to be out and have to move my arse cos of someone smoking next to me. Fortunately they are making most places non-smoking. So, in my country (at least), compared to a few years ago, the number of public places where you can smoke has decreased quite a bit.

Everyone hear is just citing some second hand stuff to further validate their opinions. I have studied it quite a bit and will let you know some facts about cannabis. All research I have read shows that the physically addictive aspect is very minimal, yet it does have a high psychologically addictive property. It has been shown to be a gateway drug, bit I believe that is because it is illegal and exposes you to things you may not otherwise encounter. It is a many times more dangerous from a non-psychological standpoint (lung, throat, mouth damage) because the smoke is unfiltered and smoked longer (all the way down to an itty bitty little roach - you know who you are :ninja: ).

Cannabis and alcohol both affect the neurons. THC temporarily incapacitates them while alcohol abuse permanently destroys them. Score one for pot. However, that is not the only effect. THC lingers as an active agent on your system for a much longer period of time than alcohol. The life cycle for alcohol is much shorter than cannabis. In other words a joint you smoke today will and does affect your cognitive functioning for a few days to come. Less smoking less effect, vice versa. Cannabis greatly suppresses the activity in the verbal areas of your brain ? something obvious when talking to a long term stoner. I read about a case of a man who had an IQ split of about 120 performance and 70 verbal. They should both be on average at 100. He was essentially mentally retarded with respect to his ability to effectively communicate and understand verbally.

The long lasting effects of the active agent in pot are why it is illegal. It is not worse overall than alcohol, in my opinion, but it is not better by a long shot. Especially when compared to cigarettes, which is a silly comparison. Cigarettes do not produce a mind altering effect which is what is evaluated when a substance is declared illegal. In other words, will you become a danger to the general public because of your using this drug? Alcohol cycles thru you quickly enough to render you safe about 24 hours after a bender. Chronic pot use has a lingering effect long after intake.

Hope any of that helps.

okay who said the on the job thing?...

anyway i worked for a civil engineering firm for awhile(1 year total, not consecutive)...

anyway true abusers of the three main drugs of our nation/world:

Alchoal

Tabacco

and Marjiwana(mispelled!)

here is the problems: Alchoal, makes people loose their inhabitions, makes them complete ###### if the right crowd(and boy lets see, both bosses, the bitch one of the bosses was ****ing, and another employee)...

Tabacco....god, im bound to have ****ing lung cancer since i have been exposed since birth by: My father, My mother, My younger brother, work, bars, other people who smoke, note: I do not smoke, i have no use, and no lust for thy stuff(i have only had maybe 5-7 cigarettes in my lifetime, all while drunkish/drinking)

and Weed: my god, they smoked it at work(a boss, the bitch a boss was ****ing, and an employee)...let me tell you how much this ****ed me off, While in the ****ing office, we have clients that come in....that ****s business over...or at least i wish it had...who knows i don't work there anymore.....

anyway I have tried weed(3-5 times, no high), did not smoke it right...saw no point....I've also done coccaine( 2wice)....though if i had my choice i would have never touched either, but in the back of my head through Highschool i had this want to try Herione and coccaine, X, and now i wonder about OC...I could have gone through life never touching Weed, and still touched the other drugs....

on side note....my bosses/female bitch coworker and other worker.....each could be High, Drunk, smoking at any point while in a vehical....going to a job site....or whatnot...I kept wishing a police officer would pull us over....so i could turn around and sue them for putting me in that possition(did not know they were going to be drunk/high at times.....)

all i can say is...Weed basically is a cheap drug compaired to the others, and everyone wants it legalized because they know that they could afford it if they want it....(higher price for quality).....

Any drug can be a gate way drug....I say Alchoal is the first, followed by cigs, then weed....and if you start on one of the hard ones right away....like coke, pretty sure you go up...and **** yourself over...

Drugs should be limited to people...abuse is what destroys lives....not the occasional use...I say if your going to be uber hammered you need to not drive, and stay at someone's place, or have them drive you home.....same for weed....

and there is medical use for cancer paitents username, it somehow for some helps them able to eat food and keep it down, get rid of dizzyness, along with some other things....otherwize the government would not let companies grow special crops for their use....

and beleive it or not there are medical use for coccaine, they make special dirivatives of it to be painkillers( ahhhh CII control drugs...)

oh and some people do become a danger to the general public....because they smoke, some kid inhales and coughs....resulting in cancer somewhere down the line.....anotherwords....no drug can win....let alone any substance....its just how you use it that matters....

oh yeah and smoking marjaina shrinks the testicals..., and cigarettes shrink the testicals....cause cancer in some form(chewing tabacco causes mouth/throught), while alchoal causes heart deases and liver damage....

oh and we forgot some other drugs: Caffine, and Sugar....my god....lets not forget chocolate....

Still doens't change the fact it should be legal. I have NEVER heard of anyone who has used pot as a "gateway" drug.

I knew several back in high school

So you're saying that if it weren't for weed, we'd have cocaine sniffers everywhere?

Im saying if there was no weed there would be just as many cocaine sniffers. Maybe less but not a significant amount.

And just to set the record straight : Weed is natural. Cigs contain tar. Which one is the worst ? You tell me.

You should take 2mins and compare the attitude of someone who's stoned compared to someone who's drunk.

lol, you are joking right... "natural" pfft please

Marijuana vs. Tobacco

It's true that both marijuana and tobacco contain toxic chemicals such as tar, carbon monoxide, and cyanide.  But marijuana smoke has more cancer-causing chemicals than tobacco. As stated before, it contains more than 400 harmful chemicals, which includes cancer-causing carcinogens. Marijuana smoke contains some of the same carcinogens and toxic chemicals as tobacco, but in higher concentrations. The amount of marijuana smoke inhaled per puff is two thirds larger than a typical puff of a tobacco cigarette.  The reason behind this is that marijuana is smoked differently than tobacco.  Marijuana smoke is inhaled deeper into the lungs, and is held there up to four times as long. These long drags force the rapid absorption THC by the lungs, the active ingredient in marijuana.  As a result, the toxic chemicals in marijuana smoke can do much more damage to the lungs than cigarette smoke.

http://www.gwu.edu/~cade/marijuana.html

My point is, if weed was legalised, where would you smoke it? xplatinum complained that he had to hide away when he wanted to smoke. Currently, they are enforcing laws where smoking cigarettes is prohibited in a lot of public places. Yes, currently you can still smoke in some places, but hopefully if they continue the current trend you wont be able to in many places at all.

no sh*t !

Who said I was talking about smoking indoor ?? Even if I want to smoke my joint outside I have to hide because its illegal. Also I never talked about cigarettes only. Who cares if you get smoke all over you... maybe you do but unfortunately its a reality and you have to deal with it.

My point is that cigarettes and alcohol are both legal and marijuana isn't. Alcohol and cigarettes are just as bad for your health if not more. And like I said, I prefer to be around stoners than around people who are drunk. When you're drunk you are agressive and you look like a damn retard. You can think that someone who is stoned looks stupid but at least he's not a danger to anyone. Yeah when you're stoned you laugh alot and act goofy but you're doing no harm. You don't pick fights for nothing either. Hippies were big time stoners and they were the most peaceful and coolest bunch of people.

So back to what I was saying. I want weed legalized so I can smoke it without hiding. So its just completly ridiculous to even think that I was reffering to smoking indoor (bar,club,etc...). Imagine 40 guys smoking their joints in a bar ? The whole place would be stoned at the end of the night.

All I want is to smoke without looking around to see if a cop is watching.

All I want is to obtain marijuana the same way i'm getting booze or cigarettes.

All I want is for it to be fair and that Marijuana starts getting treated for what it is, the same thing as booze or cigs. Not being referred to as a 'devil' or a 'druggie' because i'm smoking weed.

**** I hate the media and the lies they spread.

username : Not everything is black or white. I never said that marijuana was always chemical free. But take it for what it is, the same thing as cigs and booze and as far as I know, both are legal.

username : Not everything is black or white. I never said that marijuana was always chemical free. But take it for what it is, the same thing as cigs and booze and as far as I know, both are legal.

what are these "lies"

and have you actually read any of the links people have been posting, marijuana has more carcinogens then tobacco, and alcohol in moderation is good for your health?

what are these "lies"

and have you actually read any of the links people have been posting, marijuana has more carcinogens then tobacco, and alcohol in moderation is good for your health?

Have YOU read what I said about alcohol ? AGAIN, stop taking everything black or white. I said people who are DRUNK, not the casual drinker. We're talking about being in 'another state of mind' aren't we ? Now, I know you are anti-marijuana, you made your point. Next time, take more time to actually read what I say instead of taking this for a pro-weed VS anti-weed debate.

http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cannabis.shtml

kongit - I live in Canada.

no sh*t !

Who said I was talking about smoking indoor ?? Even if I want to smoke my joint outside I have to hide because its illegal. Also I never talked about cigarettes only. Who cares if you get smoke all over you... maybe you do but unfortunately its a reality and you have to deal with it.

My point is that cigarettes and alcohol are both legal and marijuana isn't. Alcohol and cigarettes are just as bad for your health if not more. And like I said, I prefer to be around stoners than around people who are drunk. When you're drunk you are agressive and you look like a damn retard. You can think that someone who is stoned looks stupid but at least he's not a danger to anyone. Yeah when you're stoned you laugh alot and act goofy but you're doing no harm. You don't pick fights for nothing either. Hippies were big time stoners and they were the most peaceful and coolest bunch of people.

So back to what I was saying. I want weed legalized so I can smoke it without hiding. So its just completly ridiculous to even think that I was reffering to smoking indoor (bar,club,etc...). Imagine 40 guys smoking their joints in a bar ? The whole place would be stoned at the end of the night.

All I want is to smoke without looking around to see if a cop is watching.

All I want is to obtain marijuana the same way i'm getting booze or cigarettes.

All I want is for it to be fair and that Marijuana starts getting treated for what it is, the same thing as booze or cigs. Not being referred to as a 'devil' or a 'druggie' because i'm smoking weed.

Settle down....

I didn't say you were only talking about indoors, I was just bringing up a valid point. And yeah I don't actually like stinking of smoke, maybe you do......each to their own. I am dealing with reality, I deal with it just fine....its just something I'm not too fond of, thats all.

To me, I'd prefer to be around drunk people than stoners. I'm not even gonna bother talking about ur generalisations about drunk people being aggressive and looking like retards. And its your opinion that hippies are the coolest bunch of people...I think a lot of hippies are a deadsh!ts, and thats my opinion, so don't get your panties in a twist.

As for the media, I agree with you, a lot of stuff isn't true or can be taken the wrong way...but if you're a sensible person you won't just go round believing everything you read/see/hear.