Betaplace?

I got accepted after getting my Win2000 Pro and Server cert almost 3 years ago, so certs might help ppl to get "selected"

,Apr 22 2004, 01:48] What about past Windows XP Beta Testers and XP SP2 Testers like me. Will we be invited to Longhorn? :huh:

At one stage I was (still am as far as I know, have NG access) to the XP Associate Expert Group NG's. People in that group were promised inclusion into future windows betas. Anyone remember? Or is my brain playing silly sticks with me? :cry:

Those who have tested previous Windows versions usually get a Windows Beta invite so look out for it early 2005 ;) heh

Well I applied for Win98 but didn't get in. I did get in for Windows ME and puked afterwards. But I did other testings since that time. I've done Windows XP and got a free copy of that. Also did Office xp and got a free copy as well. I did Office 2003 but nothing free but a bad radio and a few stickers. I loved testing MSN 8 I think it was. After that I got one free year of the service and the second year at 30 bucks flat fee. I've done both Windows Update version 4 and 5. I've also done XP SP1 and currently SP2. I've done some patches lately. I've also done SQL Server as well. Thats all I can think of right now but I do enjoy it. Also I haven't beta tested games but even with software you have to be very good at understanding how the software works and be very detailed at what you did and when you got the error and exactly what error you did get. Also could you get around the error or not. It takes lots of details. If you don't understand how one response can lead to another as far as how software works this isn't for you.

This isn't like programming or anything but does take time and attention to detail. I tend to send pictures of key areas on errors as well as any key system specs. If the error could be video related I will post that. If an error occurs while executing a spreadsheet in Excel I would post my CPU and motherboard chipset drivers first. Sometimes these things could be Intel or AMD only or could be Celeron only but not Pentium chips or it could get say the 810 intel chipsets only and not the 845g. Lots of things to think about.

Well I went way to deep but this gives you an idea of what they would expect from you. The better job you do the better betas you will get and the better gifts you may get but don't do it for the gifts because you will be upset when you don't get one.

Those who have tested previous Windows versions usually get a Windows Beta invite so look out for it early 2005 ;) heh

:cool: 'ness!

I may have to invest in a better PC though, not sure my 2.4GHz P4 is going to be good enough for Longhorn? ? ?

Thanks for the news Creamhack! :D

,Apr 22 2004, 17:24] :cool: 'ness!

I may have to invest in a better PC though, not sure my 2.4GHz P4 is going to be good enough for Longhorn? ? ?

Thanks for the news Creamhack! :D

I should work on any P4, granted you have enough memory. The beta versions of Longhorn have a memory leak and will eat your memory up. However, you can turn off the sidebar and the memory leak will go away (at least, that's all I did and had no problems afterwards).

but the side bars the best feature lol ive tried longhorn (legit copy) and had no problems but i ouldnt use it as your defualt one

but the side bars the best feature lol ive tried longhorn (legit copy) and had no problems but i ouldnt use it as your defualt one

What do you mean by 'legit copy'

What do you mean by 'legit copy'

Well, it means he either:

1. Attented PDC 2003 and recieved a DVD with LH4051 + Whidbey .

2. Attented WinHEC 2003 and got a copy of LH 4029.

3. He has an MSDN subscription and downloaded LH4051 off his MSDN account.

Those are the legit ways of getting longhorn ;) :).

been about a year or more for me, and all i've gotten from MS was the voice command for pocket pc 2003, and some driver installer frameworks beta, as well as the security update one as well...but i never get invite emails... is there something i can do? i have so much free time i really want to beta test stuff (I've been unemployed for almst 2 years now)

the best way to get into things is to Use BetaID's you will find here on Neowin. ( if you are having troubles getting in that is )

Like, where on Neowin? I'm interested in getting into it as well.. I tested Windows Messenger 5 but I didn't get invited back for any after that :( I filed only 4-5 bugs, thats probably why.

on Main page. look for Beta place logos. 80% of thoes have BetaID"s at bottom of post ^_^ .. i get mine from "other sources" if you want i can PM you when i get ID's just PM me once so your on my list :)