Old PC's

Is it really worth upgrading an old PC? Even just for the fun of messing with it? Well, this is considering that I accidentily crashed one. I'm meaning to make it a LAN game server.

Not really. The only thing i would do is use it as a web server (not to actually serve, but to test scripts, etc.) Otherwise, just sell it on the local market .. you could get $50 or so for that

I really got a kick out of the way Texasmeatpacker described his computer on his thread the other day.

I cunningly whipped my trusty SB1024 card out of my K6-2 550 'Difference Engine' before selling the PC to my dad as a 'Cray Supercomputer' in order to finance my upgrade program.

I would reccomend Windows 98SE using 98lite (98lite.net) They have a free, downloadable trial that is excellent.

Essentially it enables you to use a Windows 95 explorer with all the goodness of 98.

You need to own both a copy of W98 and W95 to use it, so all those OEM W85 CD's you have lying about from old old PC systems you bought actually have a use.

Removing the IE integration speeds up windows, and choosing not to install IE/OE wipes out a huge load of security vunerabilities at a stroke.

It will also make Netscape a lot more reliable - funny that eh ;)

I'm in the same situation with a K6-2 350, Matrox Millennium (excellent card), the uber compatible SoundBlaster AWE 64 Value and a serial mouse.

I used the 98lite demo and am now considering going sa far as replacing the shell for a smaller, quicker one.

Another use is to put together a legacy system with DOS mouse, CD and sound support to allow you to play all those old games.

A 200MHz Pentium is easily good enough for that. All you need is a nice ISA SoundBlaster and a PS/2 or serial mouse - you're all set for old style gaming!

Now all you have to do is remember the black art of freeing up as much of that 640k as possible :D

enjoy

[Edited for crappy spelling :roll:]

--

unspec

i just used my old 75Mhz packard bell and turned it into a FreeBSD box. X doesn't run on it, but I don't have a monitor hooked up to it anyways, so it really doens't matter. I just have apache running on it, unreal (ircd), and a few other simple things. works good :)

It is already running Windows 98. If I can somehow get a cheap stick of RAM, I will run Windows XP on it, and network it. I just want it to be able to be a game server for 2 computers.

Originally posted by liar2

It is already running Windows 98. If I can somehow get a cheap stick of RAM, I will run Windows XP on it, and network it. I just want it to be able to be a game server for 2 computers.

umm, on a pentium 100? dude, my friend cant run XP on his 400mhz. XP will NOT RUN.

Originally posted by nemo

umm, on a pentium 100? dude, my friend cant run XP on his 400mhz. XP will NOT RUN.

I've seen XP on a 400 and a 450, so I don't see why your friend can't, however you are right, it will be a cold day in hell when XP runs on a 100mhz, and even if it does it wouldn't be pretty.

it's a 200 just to let you know. And I do have it running on a 400. Runs quite nicely, thank you very much. The system requirements only require a 233. I'm sure that I can overclock the processor, and get it to run.

r u blind or something?? the guy said it was a 200mhz like 10 times!!

and for those who think u can't run it on a 400 aer crazy, i run it on a 450 and its faster than 98

r u blind or something?? the guy said it was a 200mhz like 10 times!!

and for those who think u can't run it on a 400 aer crazy, i run it on a 450 and its faster than 98

I don't think the word run belongs in a sentance with Windows XP and Pentium 200 either.

I have a few computers and it jsut happens that one of them is 300mhz and its running winxp (but it does have 384mb ram)

I also have a 450mhz running xp using 256ram.

I had to post the aforementioned lines, just to support Rudy's comments.. and in conclusion xp runs fine on older systems.

winxp will RUN on an old system, wont be fast and wont have all the nice shadows and **** but it WILL RUN

i had win2k running on a 166 and it was running FASTER than win98 and it never crashed while with 98 i couldn't even print cuz the driver crashed the computer

Originally posted by nemo

My cuz is running XP Pro on a PII 266mhz