Which Merger Would be Awesome

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which Merger Would be Awesome

• Vivendi Universal + Microsoft
    • AOL Time Warner + AT&T
    • IBM + AOL Time Warner
    • AT&T + Microsoft

i think the design team of Windows XP's default interface should merge with fisher price newborn toy design. theres so much in common with user friendlyness.

Vlad,

vivendi has been around for a while, they happen to own quite a few things, but most poeple are unaware of the parent group.

You might know it as: mp3.com/universal studios/USA networks/etc..

"Vivendi Universal is a global media and communications company with businesses in TV and Film, Publishing, Music, Internet and Telecoms, and an Environment unit that provides environmental services. On December 11, 2000 Vivendi, The Seagram Company Ltd., and Canal Plus S.A. (Canal+), completed a merger agreement made on June 20, 2000, to form Vivendi Universal. The merger combined Vivendi's broad-based telecommunications assets, which include high-speed wireless transmission, fixed and wireless communications networks, a portfolio of Internet web sites and cable and satellite transmission networks; the Seagram Company's extensive music catalogue and film and television libraries, as well as its production and distribution capabilities through Universal Music Group, Universal Studios and its stake in USA Networks; and Canal+'s film, broadcast and subscription assets"

-yahoo

PM5k:

vivendi itself is a bunch of mergers ;-)

http://www.daimlerchrysler.com/ is also another big company with great mergers...

Originally posted by Vlad

wtf is vivendi universal, sounds like some newb company

Vivendi is a very big french company which owns for example Blizzard (Diablo & Warcraft) and Sierra (Half Life).

It also owns Universal Studios (you know, the with the earth logo at the beginning of a movie).

It is no newbie.

agreed ... those mergers bad.

None of them look good for the consumer.

wait ... I know of one: Enron & the Taliban !!

Oops ... thats right ... the Taliban didnt like Enrons strong arm tactics ... [" we can carpet you with gold ... or we can carpet you with bombs"]. I guess that deal fell apart.

So we'll go with The Northern Allience and Unical instead. Much more stable dont ya think?

edit: .... and for a little bit of fun:

http://www.theyrule.net/

Microsoft and AT&T would redefine potential for innovation. Though this would ultimately affect the future (in terms of development) in a positive way, how would such a merger affect the immediate consumer?

Like most here have said, any of these mergers would have the potential to be bad for consumers in that all of these companies have too much control already, let alone if they merged.

How about Hewlett Packard and Compaq?... err... nevermind :dead: (lame attempt at being funny).

Neither, since all of them are monopolies already! But here's one I think would be really beneficial:

Adobe and Macromedia, since they would really want to exchange their master web graphics software to see if they can come up with the ultimate! :D

Corel and Lotus would be another good one so that way, they can make a more efficient office suite that will rival Micros*it's Office! :D I never likd Office, though, but this would help make Micros*it go down! :D

Originally posted by Webgraph

Neither, since all of them are monopolies already! But here's one I think would be really beneficial:

Adobe and Macromedia, since they would really want to exchange their master web graphics software to see if they can come up with the ultimate! :D

Corel and Lotus would be another good one so that way, they can make a more efficient office suite that will rival Micros*it's Office! :D I never likd Office, though, but this would help make Micros*it go down! :D

Hmm, Adobe and Macromedia, that might actually be a good one, except that the resulting products might be even more expensive.

Now Corel and Lotus, that's just like saying Corel and IBM. Lotus as a seperate company is almost non-existant, and IBM seems determined to eventually get rid of it entirely. I'm not sure any resulting products from Corel and Lotus could even approach Office. Corel's Office Suite was great back in the day, and I know alot of people (mainly lawyers, accountants, and secretaries) that swear by WordPerfect. Don't forget thought that Corel is now a "partner" of sorts with Microsoft and has said it will support .NET in its future software.

Now if some company that know something about developing office suites could help out Sun on StarOffice (it's good, but it still sucks in some major ways), we might actually get a competitor to Microsoft Office. So maybe Corel or IBM/Lotus and Sun (or OpenOffice)?

Originally posted by SimonHi

Microsoft + Dell + Intel + News Corporation + Vodafone Airtouch

WHOAH!

Now thassa merger

Apple + AMD + Motorola's Semi Div + NVIDIA + SGI + SiS

Thats the merger of the century!

Corel and Lotus would be another good one so that way, they can make a more efficient office suite that will rival Micros*it's Office! I never likd Office, though, but this would help make Micros*it go down!

if corel n lotus ever did merge...the hq for the company better be in corel's home town of kanata ontario...aka part of ottawa, since corel is the only canadian software manufacturer that's still opperating in canada (n worth over $1000000).....ATI seems to be doing well although its hardware...but whatever happened to nortel?