DivX 5.0 release date? PAY FOR IT???

Hey guys,

I was just at the DivX Forums and was reading up on the new version of 5.0. Since they just sold the Gold Master Copy as part of the auction on eBay, I was wondering when they would be releasing it publicly. People have been saying that it'll be sometime tomorrow (March 4th), I'm wondering if any of you have any additional or different info on this?

I would also like to point out that the people of DivX Networks apparently will be offering two version of the new DivX 5.0 Codec. According to one of the threads (verified by Nimo [moderator]), "1 Free, which will have the same codec as the pay version, but just more option for it!"

~Joseph

I saw anouncement for the auction... how is this version better? It seems a bit quick for another release [version 4 wasn't released that long ago]. Anyway, let's hope it's really worth upgrading to.

hmm, well over @ warp2search there's a post about divx 5.0 being downloaded, but it's now confirmed that that is a renamed 4.11 dll file, so, let's see what it brings.. and buying divx codec.. i don't think so :)

Actually this is quite bad news... DivX is hardly accepted as a legal codec at the moment and if you have to pay it will surely destroy its existing popularity.

People will warez that pay version, as usual with everything. And since DivX is popular, the warez version will spread fast. So I don't know what they're trying by making a pay version.

thats what i'm thinking...

I've been using DivX ever since it was in beta, before 3.11 came out. And it was so awesome back then cause it was so underground, and provided the best quality movies. I'd be bringing my movies to school while people were still downloading huge mpgs and talking about how great napster [was]. :evil:

Now it has become so publicized, and it's just not so special anymore. I don't know. I think they should continue it being totally free because that was what it was originally intended for.

~Joseph

I know nothing except what I have read in this post, but I would be inclined to think that the pay version would just be more geared to corporate users, or people who use the codec for profit. The extra options will probably be for copyright stuff, extra error detection, password protection, perhaps code optimized for dual/server processors, or imprinting a company logo (although you could already do this with other software) but you get the idea.

but if the free version were crippled compared to the pay one, that would not be very smart. Making a pay codec for a community that uses it to get copy written movies for free :lick:

Pay for it??? Over my dead body!!! All I have to do is just keep my current version of DiVX. That way, they won't be able to make any money out of it and be forced to make it freeware!

The extra options will probably be for copyright stuff, extra error detection, password protection, perhaps code optimized for dual/server processors, or imprinting a company logo (although you could already do this with other software) but you get the idea.

Hopefully that's all it will be for. Not for the average home user. Let's hope games start to use it rather than the LAME small videos they use at the moment.

I found this in the DivX Forums again (although i'm skeptical about it authenticity because i check the link at the end, and was looking around the 'Press Release' section and couldn't find any post like the following):

Event Alert: DivXNetworks To Unveil Next Generation Of Digital Video Technology On Monday March, 4th

For DivXNetworks

Feb 27, 2002

WHO:

DivXNetworks, the company that created the revolutionary patent-pending DivX video compression technology, often called the "mp3 of video."

WHAT: Next Generation of Video Compression Technology: DivX 5.0 Launch Event and Demonstration

WHEN: March 4, 2002, 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. (Lunch provided)

WHERE: Bonaventure Hotel - 404 South Figueroa Street, Los Angeles CA

WHY: of the entertainment and technology press can witness the future of video technology today with the launch of the DivX 5.0 product suite. DivXNetworks, the company that created the popular DivX MPEG-4 video compression technology, will unveil the next generation of DivX--a full product line of video encoding and decoding tools that achieves greater compression and higher visual quality than any video compression technology available. The next-generation of DivX will serve as a driving force for the emerging broadband video-on-demand industry.

Festivities will include: - Overview of the new DivX 5.0 product line - Side-by-side comparison of DivX 5.0 and DVD - Side-by-side comparison of DivX 5.0 and Window Media technologies. - High-quality DivX video demo on a Portable Device - Major partnership announcements

Please RSVP to: Tom Huntington - 858-909-5358 - thuntington@divxnetworks.com

About DivXNetworks

DivXNetworks is a leading technology company that enables the rapid proliferation of video content over Internet Protocol (IP) networks by combining the lightweight, ubiquitous access of the Internet with DVD-quality video performance. The company's approach is built upon the success of the DivX codec, a leading standard for MPEG-4 video distribution with over 30 million users worldwide, and the DivX Open Video System, a next-generation content delivery system that provides unsurpassed aggregation, promotion, and distribution of video content for mass markets. DivXNetworks is headquartered in San Diego, California, with a satellite office in Los Angeles. For more information about DivXNetworks, visit www.divxnetworks.com.

Originally posted by postertoad

3.11 Alpha is still the best DivX codec.

that's somewhat arguable.

there are some things where 4.12 is better and there are some things where XviD is better.

hopefully divx5 will be better than all 3..

Originally posted by Toxikk

i saw the codec on warp2search for free....

you people ever read the whole thread, or just respond to its topic.. i said it was a fake.. djeez.. read bak to the top

Originally posted by SOOPAH256

I found this in the DivX Forums again (although i'm skeptical about it authenticity because i check the link at the end, and was looking around the 'Press Release' section and couldn't find any post like the following):

Event Alert: DivXNetworks To Unveil Next Generation Of Digital Video Technology On Monday March, 4th

For DivXNetworks

Feb 27, 2002

WHO:

DivXNetworks, the company that created the revolutionary patent-pending DivX video compression technology, often called the "mp3 of video."

WHAT: Next Generation of Video Compression Technology: DivX 5.0 Launch Event and Demonstration

WHEN: March 4, 2002, 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. (Lunch provided)

WHERE: Bonaventure Hotel - 404 South Figueroa Street, Los Angeles CA

WHY: of the entertainment and technology press can witness the future of video technology today with the launch of the DivX 5.0 product suite. DivXNetworks, the company that created the popular DivX MPEG-4 video compression technology, will unveil the next generation of DivX--a full product line of video encoding and decoding tools that achieves greater compression and higher visual quality than any video compression technology available. The next-generation of DivX will serve as a driving force for the emerging broadband video-on-demand industry.

Festivities will include: - Overview of the new DivX 5.0 product line - Side-by-side comparison of DivX 5.0 and DVD - Side-by-side comparison of DivX 5.0 and Window Media technologies. - High-quality DivX video demo on a Portable Device - Major partnership announcements

Please RSVP to: Tom Huntington - 858-909-5358 - thuntington@divxnetworks.com

About DivXNetworks

DivXNetworks is a leading technology company that enables the rapid proliferation of video content over Internet Protocol (IP) networks by combining the lightweight, ubiquitous access of the Internet with DVD-quality video performance. The company's approach is built upon the success of the DivX codec, a leading standard for MPEG-4 video distribution with over 30 million users worldwide, and the DivX Open Video System, a next-generation content delivery system that provides unsurpassed aggregation, promotion, and distribution of video content for mass markets. DivXNetworks is headquartered in San Diego, California, with a satellite office in Los Angeles. For more information about DivXNetworks, visit www.divxnetworks.com.

Just saw this on http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/020301/laf027_1.html too, linked from www.doom9.net so it looks real. Doesn't necessarily mean it will be released to the public today though.