Comparative: WordPress versus Movable Type

Ok since ive never upgraded my WP before im going to upgrade mine to 1.2 , does anyone know how? It justs says to upload all the files and make sure not to overwrite the important files. Which ones are important? Will my blogs get overwritten?

<confused> Someone help?

If you're going from 1.0.1 to 1.2, upload everything, then run /wp-upgrade.php. If you're going from 1.2 beta or whatever, just upload and run away. :D

heres the problem.. <i>if</i> you run a large website that's built on a php template system and you decide to change your website theme, would you have to go back to WordPress and change its template too? (say if we wanted the blog and the rest of the website to look the same?).

heres the problem.. <i>if</i> you run a large website that's built on a php template system and you decide to change your website theme, would you have to go back to WordPress and change its template too? (say if we wanted the blog and the rest of the website to look the same?).

Correct, but it's really easier than you think. It took me around two hours to switch my blog to match my site.

Correct, but it's really easier than you think. It took me around two hours to switch my blog to match my site.

yeah, the built in fucntions are really easy to add into an existing template. Plus, the templates in WP are much easier to maintain and update than those in WP, IMHO.

In my opinion, everybody is over-reacting to Six Apart's move towards a paid model. Some people are just bitching because they have to PAY for software...OH THE HORROR! :rolleyes: Now...I will grant you their volume pricing is a bit high. But based on my experiences, MT is still the best publishing tool out there.

In my opinion, everybody is over-reacting to Six Apart's move towards a paid model. Some people are just bitching because they have to PAY for software...OH THE HORROR! :rolleyes: Now...I will grant you their volume pricing is a bit high. But based on my experiences, MT is still the best publishing tool out there.

Agreed. I tried WP and it just seemed a bit....clunky to me. I dunno. It could be that I'm used to how MT does things, but WP just didn't "flow" like I wanted it to. Really lame description....I know. :)

• 2 weeks later...
:o

I love your template!

Thanks. You can see my site is dead though. I'm thinking about taking it off...dont know yet. I don't think i'm much of a blog guy.

Thanks. You can see my site is dead though. I'm thinking about taking it off...dont know yet. I don't think i'm much of a blog guy.

where did you get your template from? any tips on how to get that menu and stuff? :)

• 9 months later...
Agreed.  I tried WP and it just seemed a bit....clunky to me.  I dunno.  It could be that I'm used to how MT does things, but WP just didn't "flow" like I wanted it to.  Really lame description....I know.  :)

2193133[/snapback]

Heh yeah, WP is good if you've got one or two blog installations... but when you've got 4 other people on the same server as you and you've got to manage them all, MT just plain kicks ass in that department.