Should MS Pull Windows Off the market?

96 members have voted

1. 1. Should MS Pull Windows Off the market?

• YES but it may be costly
    • NO but it will be costly
    • YES and it is going to work
    • NO, it does not matter

The problem is these politicians got nothing better to do then move the spotlight on other people so they're lives aren't analyzed by the public. Typical day on Capitol Hill goes like this:

"Uh oh, they found out my girlfriend is 14" says Congressman X.

"You think thats bad, they found out my girlfriend is a goat" exclaims Congressman Y.

"I got an idea, lets hassle Company P and say they've broken the law" Congressman Z triumphanty explains.

Thats the problem with politicians these days. They're always scheming to benefit themselves. I would vote for an honest man over a schemer any day. Notice how all campaign ads are about what the other guy did wrong? Thats because none of them actually do anything worth while.

i hate the goverment:evil:

im a activly anarchist and i just hate people trying to sue everybody cuz somthing is f**d UP which really isnt makes me mad

ok im done....:paranoid: :evil:

threat threat threat threat threat is all it is, I assure you.

Windows is the largest source of revenue by far for microsoft, an in second is it's Office suite, which isn't even a close second. Microsoft would be cutting it's own throat if it stopped making/selling Windows.

Just think about it. PC vendors would start bundling alternative OS's with their PCs, probably RedHat or Mandrake seeing as how it's most like Windows, and possibly later Lindows.

Software companies who had always made programs/games for Windows would go out of business because nobody would want to buy software for an OS which is going to cease to exist.

The Macintosh's would grow slightly, although I don't think it would be that much of a change because it would require buying all new hardware, whereas Linux can run off the same x86 architecture as Windows.

Microsoft would surely begin losing billions of dollars a year, which there's no way they're going to risk doing that. They know what kind of leverage Windows has in the PC industry, and once again they're trying to use that leverage to their benefit.

I think it's all just a bunch of sh*t. I've been using MS software since the days before they bought Seattle Computer Products and released DOS 1.0. I use their software because I like it. NOT because I'm forced to. Sure, IE is bundled with the OS but so what. Who f******g cares? I don't. If you don't like to use IE then install the crappy Netscape and use it instead. I do believe that the new version takes over the functionallity of IE.

If these other companies would spend as much time and resources on developing their software and making it better as they do on trying to sue the s**t out of MS, then all this would be moot.

MS ain't the monopolistic crooks, it's the United States Government (or any government for that matter). I think they should bend over and f**k themselves.

People use what they like. Netscape ain't it. (used to be before AOL got hold of it - they s*ck too) :p

Just my two cents. If ya don't like it then don't read it.

MS is acting like a 3 year old..."if you don't give me my way I'm going to hold my nOSe until I turn blue"...obtw your facts are backwards...OFFICE is the big cash cow...if MS had any sense they would GIVE windoze away and kill open source...but who said they had any sense. Gates is a lousy coder and good businessman...the only reason MS is where it is is that his mommy and daddy were rich philanthropists...his mommy ran into an IBM exec at a charity function and he informed her that they had a new computer project (the PC) and mommy said "well my son writes software"...give him credit for making gobs more money, but if billy came from a middle class background we'd all be using linux or bsd.

a little exagerated perhaps...

it doesn't matter if Gates is a good coder or not, he probably has written a line of code in 10 years.

And Microsoft isn't where it is today because of his parents. It's because IBM went the way of DOS instead of CP/M.

Quote from my A+ Certification readings

IBM entered the personal computer market in 1981, initially licensing an operating system rather than developing and supporting one of their own. IBM approached Kildall to discuss licensing terms for his CP/M operating system. When Kildall missed that appointment, the IBM executive went on to his next appointment--with a company named Microsoft. (Kildall denies the accuracy of the missed-appointment story) Microsoft's Bill Gates seized the licensing opportunity immediately. The rest--Gates' licensing DOS to IBM--is history.

I agree with cheezymak. It's your choice to use it or not. IE comes with Windows.. so what. As for a stock cars come with a specific type of tires... you don't say they are monopoly!.. You don't like the stock tires.. buy diff ones and change it.

i remember hearing rumors bout ms moving up to canada....if they ever did it'dd probably be in the whistler area so they can go skiing lol, but that'dd probably never happen tho

Originally posted by MDboyz

I agree with cheezymak. It's your choice to use it or not. IE comes with Windows.. so what. As for a stock cars come with a specific type of tires... you don't say they are monopoly!.. You don't like the stock tires.. buy diff ones and change it.

I think some of you are mistaken a bit on the problem with IE integrating into Windows....

The problem isnt Microsoft FORCING us to use IE, if I buy Windows and wanna use Netscape, I can, I just download it and that's it.

The real issue is because almost EVERYONE uses Windows, Microsoft can put IE in there, and when you install Windows, why would you bother getting Netscape? Especially newbies. Why should I go and get Netscape? I have IE, its there. Same with AOL Messenger, why should I get that? I have Windows Messenger already here.

Microsoft has the power to "guide" users to use their software because its the default stuff thats already there. In my opinion its also superior, but a lot of uptight people still dont like that.

My take, it's MICROSOFT's OS, and if they want to combine some of THEIR OWN products into another one, why not? It makes it easier for everyone to use and more convenient. If their software is so $hitty, you could get the competition's stuff, but why would you want to? Microsoft makes good software period. They've been doing it from day one, otherwise they wouldnt be where they are today. And a lot of people cant handle that, thats why this antitrust bull$hit exists in the first place.

Originally posted by k420

If M$ can't compete without being a monopoly, then they have no buisness making software.

HATERS!!! Damn can't a man be successful without everyone trying to tell him what to do with his stuff???

I agree mostly with what -outcast- said except for a few things....

You should be grateful that Microsoft bundles IE with Windows. If they didn't, how the hell would you go about downloading an alternative browser? If you go to a retail store, I highly _highly_ doubt you're going to find a browser to purchase or pick up.

If you buy a PC and it doesn't have any form of web browser installed with it, the only other means you're going to then have to getting online or getting a browser is those damned ISP CDs you get sent in the mail (AOL for example).

If anything, Microsoft is doing you a favor for including IE with Windows. THANK THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think that Windows needs to remain. if you get rid of Windows there goes most of the people who use a computer. They would not be able to run linux or any other OS that is currently available.

what i think a fair compromise would be is that all os should give you the option of what browser you want to use right on the cd. Like when you go to install windows xp, a little prompt should come up asking you which browser from a list do you wish to use. use ie or netscape or opera or whatever. the same thing with email handlers and instant messangers. that way every one would get a equally fair option without having each one taking up space on the harddrive. make it a requirement for all os manufactures. but that's just my opinion.

But moooommmm, if you remove IE then windows wont work. Windows needs IE. Dont take it away. [said in my best whinny cartman voice]

... can you believe MS is trying to say that. Punks.

What would be nice is if I could order ghost images of an OS pre-loaded with the all MY favorite proggies [not Bills favorites].

and to add to what cheif_bigfoot was saying. i believe a lot of these newbies are either used to windows on school computers or webtv which is now msntv. webtv is great for newbies and adults who just don't understand computers. funny though ms decided to make webtv's default and only option for a browser as netscape. Nothing lasts for ever not even ms. it wont be long before their 15 minutes are up. all we can do is enjoy it while it lasts. maybe in the future everyone will build their own os. no one will have to buy software cause everyone will know how to do it. If ms did pull windows sure it would have a major impact on our daily lives, however i'm not too woried about it.

Microsoft will never get out of the OS production, because is a very profitable business and because already 90% of world PC users, and maybe more, depend on MS Windows....

I am from the bottom of the South Pacific and by choice know little of US Commercial Law. However I am amazed that US Leaders both Federal and State seem hell bent on destroying the most successfull US Corporation ever .

Microsoft should give "The Bird" to all the idiots taking these cases against them and move the entire operation off shore.

De-register the Company in the USA and say sod the lot of you .

I get so angry with all the "Tall Poppy" syndrome rubbish that constantly raises its self over Microsoft.

They are number one because they make damm good products.

Or are all these "protectors of the masses" who are taking these cases think that all the customers that have purchased MS product are mindless fools that don't know what they are doing .

If the cases are successfull the people who will lose are those people the "Protectors of the masses" say they are doing it to help , that is all the users of PC .

Gee we will be able to use Netscape , Star Office on something like BEOS or worse Linux.

It seems totally nuts to me .

Well thast was my 2.013 cents worth , you work out the exchange rate

bill gates showed himself to be a sneaky little turd since he first broke onto the scene. so what? his company produces some of the best software. Bills the type of guy who is always lookng ahead. He realizes that the home pc as we know it is on it's way out. the future of his software is in bmw's and tv's and videogame consoles. pretty soon your wall will be a window of what ever you desire. it will be your tv your telephone your diary your work your school your almost everything. It's in major businesses, in hospitals, in libraries and just about everywhere a computer is. He doesn't have to worry about killing windows on home pc's. He's already corned the market everywhere else. I don't like bill gates anymore than the next guy. but i do respect his ability to stay on top of the world. I mean the guy is giving us what we ask for even if it isn't always what we want.

They should pull out of the market. The product/market penetration and consumer/business dependance on Microsoft products are too great.

They have to stop whatever "monopoloistic" practices that they are using to position their products (whatever Monopoly is defined to be remains to be seen). I also think they have to take a lot of crap out of their products and not force people to use their products or they make it impossible to remove them like Media Player & IE. Has anybody even considered what will happen with XP in 2-3 years time when MS determines its no longer "in service" will the computers autenticating it completely block activating windows and will MS reps not activate it for consumers.

The "why do I need Netscape mentality" is not what I'm trying to preach here. IE is basically a part of the Windows kernel. I'f not using it, why can't I remove it. It should make the system more efficient or at least less cluttered. I've used QNX and I have to say its the least cluttered and prob. fastest OS I've ever used. I think this is the sort of performance people are expecting from their computers. Win95/98/XP/2000 just seem to run at the same speed no matter how fast your computer. I want them gone.

I also don't think every company has ideal, just or legal business practices and almost all have practiced in this area or have shady practices themselves. The gov't just has to interdict the activity at an earlier point. Why should we be asking MS to back out at this point from PC manufacturing. The gov't is somewhat responsible for not putting more pressure earlier. Just look at Enron. No one thought bad about them but a report on CNN the other day pointed that there were reports saying that Enron might not have paid TAXES for FIVE years. Pretty lax corporate law in my opinion.