ASP, JSP, or PHP???

62 members have voted

1. 1. ASP, JSP, or PHP???

• ASP
    • JSP
    • PHP

Question

Which one is best for making websites...that are easy to maintain (update at a regular basis), has support by most of the browsers out there and *ahem* ..user friendly too...I don't know any of the three languages, but am gonna begin learning them, so which one should I start off with??

Originally posted by robinmthomas

zivan56 needs to start researching his facts before he makes the comment.

Windows 2000 Standard allows for the exact same amount of connections as Advanced Server......and that is unlimited. Now that is in terms of the OS, there are still the limitations of your hardware.

Cant you read? I was talking about any other non-server Windows 2000. If you goto the admin tools and you can see what the max connections are. Geez what a lamer....:right:

No, zivan56, this is exactly what you wrote:

Originally posted by zivan56

It is free I was talking about in General. Also if you dont have advanced server, it will only allow 20 or so connections.

That is incorrect. Then you write the following statement:

Originally posted by zivan56 I was talking about any other non-server Windows 2000

There are 4 versions of windows (3 available to the general public). 2 are sever versions and 1 is pro.

I figured since everyone in your corner is pushing him towards apache/linux/etc. that the windows equivalent would be somesort of server.

Unless you are trying to skew the comparison. Yes, apache will beat Windows Pro any day of the week.

Let's compare apples to apples.

Alright...need a little, correction a lot of help here...I don't have any history with databases and stuff...so, what should I get started off with (a nice database software on Windows platform, for ASP.NET)..??

...are there any online tutorials type things for them?? And what software is required?? Is there one supplied with one of the following?:

Microsoft Visio 2002 + Enterprise Network Tools

Microsoft Visual Studio.net Enterprise Architect

Microsoft Office XP Developer

I have Oracle 8 as well...how's that for database?

Well about Oracle 8, I really couldn't say yes or no, given I've never used it. However you can connect ASP.NET (and just plain ASP) to that database, among many others. Like I mentioned before I am a big fan of PostgreSQL, but use what you have available to you. It all really depends on how big your site is going to be and what kind of traffice you think you might get.

As far as all the software titles you listed, ASP.NET is included in VS.NET and as a free download (well the framework for .NET, but not the IDE). So if you wanted to go cheap you could learn to write ASP.NET by hand, and then, since ASP.NET can be compiled on the fly when a page is requested, you could leave it in plain text or download the compiler (you still lose out on not having a development IDE, but its not all that hard to do without).

There are tutorials all over the place for ASP/ASP.NET and web servers, try one of the following:

Angry Coder

MSDN ASP.NET

There are some others but I'm drawing a blank at the moment, I think I saw some others earlier in the postings.

ASP.NET is definitely faster, alone due to the fact that .aspx files get compiled into MSIL code and get cached which runs on the CLR, which itself does compile it into native code and caches it. An ASP.NET applications speed is about the same like the speed of an ISAPI application. PHP is unable to beat this.

Where do you ppl get the money to buy all this Micro$oft stuff? ASP is no way faster than PHP. Take a look at http://www.codekit.com/ and compare it to the speed of the zend code archive or even any poorly written phpnuke site or maybe this whole site :) . ASP.NET maybe be faster though...

At this point, I don't really care which one is faster, because I've decided to go ahead with ASP.NET :)

...but since I don't have any history in database, or dynamic webpages, I need tutorials, beginner tutorials, as much as i can find :)

I got three E-Books..

ASP.NET for developers

C#.NET for developers

VB.NET for developers...

They're okay in the sense that they cover a lot of stuff (from what I've seen so far), but it's more advanced than something I'm looking for...however, so far, I'm following it, and it seems to work out...however, one can never have enough resources ;)

Alrighty now...I got myself a couple of books on SQL stuff off my cousins...one is SQL for beginners (general idea of how to work with stuff), and the other one is Learn SQL Server 7.0 in 24 hours for beginners, which basically teaches how to setup a SQL Server...

I dropped the idea of hosting the website myself after I learnt that Rogers doesn't have the static IP anymore :( ...so, I'll be finding a host which would provide me a domain + host the site...

I WILL be using ASP.NET through Visual Studio.net...

Question: I plan to have forums on my website, for which I'll be needing a database, hence SQL Server...now, since I'm not going to be hosting the site, do I just have to find a host who will provide me with MSSQL service, and I'll just have to connect to it??...

OR

Do I need MSSQL Server running on my machine as well, irrespective of the fact that I'm not hosting my website?? :o

If it's the second option, then I need help here installing MSSQL Server 2000 on my machine..