[Alpha] Pop Goes the GMail

Question

Pop Goes the GMail

PGtGM has been discontinued. Please use http://www.gnotify.com/gpopper/ instead!

PGtGM sits between you GMail account and your email client, converting messages from the web based mailbox into POP3 messages that a program such as Outlook Express or Firebird can understand.

POP3 server now fully works. You are able to download gmail emails through any email client. SMTP server appears to work.

Please post any bugs you find in the login process to the thread, or problems displaying messages.

Download

Click here v0.9 (120k)

NOTE: You need to have the .net runtimes installed. Click Here

Screenshots:

gmailtray1.jpggmailtray2.jpg

gmailnewmsg.jpg

pgtgmadvanced.gif

Version log:

0.1 Inital test version

0.2 Fixed displaying only first 5 messages bug, added better error handling.

0.3 Better error display for errors when parsing message arrays.

Prototype SMTP and POP3 server built in.

0.4 POP3 server now fully works.

You are able to download gmail emails through any email client

0.5 SMTP works, I hope.

Notifies of new messages with tool tip balloon on tray.

Fixed username not found bug.

Used TripleDES encryption to store password in registry.

Fixed problem with no messages in account

0.6 SMTP server accepts attachments

Added Outlook 2003 support

Fixed login bug

Added Mozilla mail client support

Added generic mail client support with correct error responses

Added email client setup page to about screen

Modified design and layout of main form

0.7 Modified the way PGtGM downloads mails

Added advanced tab with various new options

Added ability to change the POP3 and SMTP ports.

Added option to disable external clients from using PGtGM

Added message menu function to rcvd emails

Fixed incorrect password giving blank messagebox bug

PGtGM starts on the tray by default

Fixed unable to exit Windows bug

Added update checking on startup

0.8 Additons:

Allowed user to change port if it is already in use on startup

SMTP server supports RSET

Added better port-in-use checking interface on startup

Fixed 'contenttype text/plain' SMTP server bug

Added proxy support

XML output of messagelist everytime a check commences

Added confirm exit option

Fixed password incorrect doing nothing bug

Removed shameless advertising on outgoing emails!

Fixed main form not being displayed problem

Fixed constant notification of new messages

0.9 Fixed attachment sending bug (I hope)

Now supports multiple To and CC addresses

Added debug log feature

Moved back to Mentalis.org SSL dll

Tightened up security on SMTP server

Started work on IMAP support (doesn't work yet)

Fixed port not saved/max of 60 bug

Improved error handling

Edited by idbuythatforadollar

I do like the pun though, its taken from a nursery rhyme 'Pop Goes the Weasel'. You can play the music on the about screen!

I should have guesed it by the weasel.mid file :blush:

It is also adding slashes when it imports the emails:

This is an e-mail message sent automatically by Microsoft Office

Outlook\'s Account Manager while testing the settings for your POP3

account.

you mean you got it working? cool

you mean you got it working? cool

No it still doesn't work on my computer. It doesn't work on my computer at work or on my computer at home, I keep getting the same error message. I got it to work on my girlfriends computer though.

One more thing, it doesn't pull in the attachments via Outlook. This is a real bad thing because you still have to go check Gmail via the web in this case because you don't know if an email had an attachment with it without going to gmail.com to actually check it.

look out for attachment support in V0.7, google even provide the correct mime data on their site for each mail, so it should be real easy and bug free to impliment

look out for attachment support in V0.7, google even provide the correct mime data on their site for each mail, so it should be real easy and bug free to impliment

and please fix something, cause versions 1-5 all orked in my pc, only 6 that didn't

hi to all. :)

I have 2 invitation for Join Gmail.

I sell on of its , Only 30$ . :blush:

If you want to buy plz Email to me : azemati at gmail.com

Tanx

go away persianMan.... anyone that pays for something that will be able tog get for free very soon is a nutcase.

sesh

PS... Bring that down to $15 and ill be interested... :p j/k

go away persianMan.... anyone that pays for something that will be able tog get for free very soon is a nutcase.

sesh

PS... Bring that down to $15 and ill be interested... :p j/k

ok , you can w8ing.

But

anyone that pays for Best ID and His Name for gmail account :p !

Can you make a way to change the POP Server port? I have something running on 110 that I need! Maybe if you made an app.config file and stored the value in there?

I see you've written in it in VB.NET, I know C# and VB.NET, so I'd be glad to give you a hand.

And yes guys, I've looked at the assembly for this app, and he isn't sending himself our gmail users and passes :cool:

Wow man, great program. It installed clean and everything's worked flawlessly. One thing I noticed though is that it doesn't seem to support attachments. I sent an e-mail with a pic and while the GMail site handled the pic just fine, only the text came through in Outlook 2003 for me. Is this a problem that I'm having or are attachments not yet supported by PGtGM?

Thanks again for the great progoram.

EDIT: I did some more tinkering and it turns out if I send an e-mail with an attachment from Outlook, the attachment shows up in my sent folder on the GMail site just fine. However if someone sends an e-mail with attachment to me, it will not be delivered to Outlook, just to the GMail site.

Edited by letsgoflyers81

PersianMan, if you want to sell your GMail accounts take it to Neobay. Otherwise stop hijacking threads.

PersianMan, if you want to sell your GMail accounts take it to Neobay. Otherwise stop hijacking threads.

Radish and Blaise have been closing down all the gmail threads in neobay :p

Take it to ebay ;)

Radish and Blaise have been closing down all the gmail threads in neobay :p

Take it to ebay ;)

Maybe I wanted him to get warned ;)

Can you make a way to change the POP Server port? I have something running on 110 that I need! Maybe if you made an app.config file and stored the value in there?

I see you've written in it in VB.NET, I know C# and VB.NET, so I'd be glad to give you a hand.

And yes guys, I've looked at the assembly for this app, and he isn't sending himself our gmail users and passes :cool:

hey there,

look out for these features in 0.7, as well as incoming attachment support. both are high priorities on my list :)

Jon

I may aswell do the same thing as Tekmaven, i know VB.NET and a bit of C#, so if you need to offload any work or need help (doesnt look like it though :D ) i'll be glad to help.

Edited by The_Decryptor

Hey, Iam wondering whether you have plans to release the source code?

Iam .NET student and I would like to read you're source code for educational purposes! :)

I found another issue that I'm not sure you have any control over. When you reply to a message in a POP client, it doesn't keep the thread going in GMail. It doesn't show the threaded conversation on the site like it does if you just replied through their site.

This is way better than Gmail and its free and it looks way better...you also get 2GB instead of 1 and there are no adds or popups. :D

Aventure Mail

No thread hijacking, thanks.

Seriously what a worthless and insulting addition to this thread. idbuythatforadollar is working hard to provide a useful program for people to use and you go and tell everyone to get that stupid email. Besides from what I've seem from that dumb thread here on neowin is it is always down and crashing and you can't have attachments. I'm going to skip it.

Hello.

FIrst of all, thank you for the program. I just got GMail and got this right away.

When I run it and put all my stuff in, I just get a blank pop up every 2 or 3 seconds.

Any ideas ?