Internet Explorer vs Firefox vs Opera

The browser wars are long over, but that does not mean that Internet Explorer will rule forever. Alternatives are coming up very quickly, even surpassing some of the features Internet Explorer has. Meanwhile, the newly formed IE team has to fix the web that it has broken.

But that's not the issue for the end user. What they want is a browser with sufficient functionality, speed, and of course, displaying stuff well.

Who are the contenders? Opera 7.5, Firefox 0.91 and Internet Explorer 6 SP1.

First, we take a look at the screen area of the browsers.

-------------------------------

Screen area

Setup:

Internet Explorer: Menu bar, icon bar, address bar

Firefox: Menu bar, icon + address bar

Opera: Menu bar, icon + address bar

Notes:

There's actually a text ad in unregistered copies in Opera, and I have one too. Therefore, I just take a screenshot, edit the screenshot and move the menu bar up to where the text ad is, and there I roughly calculate the area. And IE has too many icons, if not I could have moved the address bar to where the icon bar is.

Test:

The test is easy to conduct. I just switch between windows, and there you can get a gauge about what is happening. For more accurate testing, I put them side by side too.

Results:

Opera wins, followed by Firefox. I use the default theme for Firefox for the testing, if you use Qute, you will find that they both have the same screen area. Internet Explorer could have done better if the address bar was next to the icon bar.

Internet Explorer: 1

Firefox: 2

Opera: 3

Default Theme

Some people just aren't motivated to find new themes, so they just stick with the default one... So let's evaluate the default theme.

Notes:

I am using Windows XP with Internet Explorer, so we'll judge by that theme. We'll also use the default themes for Opera and Firefox.

Test:

Well, just look.

Results:

Opera wins hands down. The theme is applied everywhere, including checkboxes and ticks. Internet Explorer comes in second, for its well detailed icons which are nice looking, although there are some inconsistencies once you open up Internet Options. However, Firefox's theme sucks. It looks like it has been made in Microsoft Paint. If you gave me Qute, I would give it a better rank than Opera.

Internet Explorer: 2

Firefox: 1

Ease of Use

Simplicity is bliss.

Test:

I looked around, playing with features and exploring.

Results:

Opera has a very organised and consistent feel, but it still lost to Firefox and Internet Explorer. The features are overwhelming and are sorted into many different categories, and doing something as simple as switching proxy servers required me to look around a bit. Internet Explorer's was not so bad, although it was also cluttered. Firefox gave me the most ease of use, it was simple and easy to navigate, and the features are laid out very nicely and neatly. It looked the most professional.

Firefox: 3

Opera: 1

Speed

What's the point of surfing the net with slow speed? Here, we take the browsers to the speed test. You have to render pages quickly to keep up.

Test:

I used estimation, and in some cases, accurate timing.

Results:

Firefox took 3 seconds, Opera took 5 seconds and Internet Explorer took 10 seconds.

Opera: 2

Rendering Engine

However fast it gets, if you can't render things well, YOU DIE!

Notes:

Internet Explorer broke the web, now it must fix it.

Test:

Just open a page with complex CSS and stuff.

Results:

Both Opera and Firefox tie with each other. They both display pages very well and smooth. Internet Explorer comes in third, it broke the web and uses its own standards. And they don't support W3C's standards very well.

Downloads

Downloads are important in every web browser. Almost everyone will use them. We're not talking about web pages, images etc, but zip files, exe files and more.

Test:

Download a file.

Results:

Both Opera and Firefox are very good contenders, but I gave an extra point to Firefox for its simplicity again. Opera has lots of functionality but is very hard to access a simple feature such as cleaning up. But it lets you open via WinZip if you have it etc., so it's more convenient. You can restart the download in Opera too, which you can't do in Firefox. However, nothing can beat Firefox's functionality.

Opera: 2

Functionalities

Functionalities are little extras that are vital. These do not include plug-ins.

Test:

Explore the functionalities.

Results:

Opera wins, no doubt. Cluttered it may be, its functions cannot be beaten by both IE and Firefox. You can write notes and morre in Opera which you can't do in any other browser. Firefox comes in second, it has a very good extension manager, and DOM Inspector is expected to work soon. Internet Explorer has no tab browser, images etc, so it obviously loses.

Firefox: 2

Plug-ins

Plug-ins are very nifty extras that some people might use at some point.

Test:

Test out how to install and uninstall plug-ins.

Results:

Firefox wins in this section, with its very easy to use extension manager. IE comes in second, although it is very easily exploited particularly in this area. I couldn't find any extension manager in Opera, so it comes in last.

Opera: 1

Support

Which brings us to our last section, support.

Test:

See the help system.

Results:

For some reason, the help file is missing in FF 0.91 although it was present in 0.9. But still, it loses, although it has a friendly community, because it's not present. Internet Explorer is second, it's help file is quite informative although it's messy. Opera is first in this section, it's help file is easy to navigate and it's community is friendly.

Firefox: 1

Results

Both Firefox and Opera tie with each other with 21 points. Internet Explorer, meanwhile, only receives 13 points. However, I would like to give an extra point to Firefox because of it's overall simplicity and look. If only Opera was free...

Edited by trenzterra

Nice, however there is one thing I notice wrong there. I would give Firefox a higher score for features because there are new extensions being made every day. PLUS... Mouse gestures are most definatly not exclusive to Opera, take a clickie on this linkie right here ;) http://texturizer.net/firefox/extensions/#mousegest

Anyway, Great review! :)

Under the features category, you said you were taking into account plugins, yet you didn't mention the possiblities offered with ActiveX in IE... Sure it can be used to install spyware, but just READ WHAT YOU'RE INSTALLING before you click yes :wacko:

Nice, however there is one thing I notice wrong there. I would give Firefox a higher score for features because there are new extensions being made every day. PLUS... Mouse gestures are most definatly not exclusive to Opera, take a clickie on this linkie right here ;) http://texturizer.net/firefox/extensions/#mousegest

Anyway, Great review! :)

And mouse gestures for IE is here:

http://www.tcbmi.com/strokeit/

Internet Explorer supports many features that both Firefox and Opera don't support, but that is because the features they support do not adhere to the W3C standard, so it's virtually useless.

They aren't completely useless provided that you use them as value-added features rather then requirements. For example, IE supports rotating images to any angle which I use to create simple animations. But when run on other browsers like Firefox, it also animates but just doesn't rotate. No loss of functionality there.

Although IE has full CSS1 support, it probably doesn't have full CSS2 and 3 support. The reason for such incompatibility is also because of Internet Explorer, so because of IE, we can't design sites so well.

XHTML and CSS was designed to degrade gracefully in older browsers for this purpose so you should go ahead and use it.

I prefer My IE 2 with IE 6, but think Mozilla with the AutoScroll and Tab Browsing extentions is pretty outstanding. I don't like Opera at all.

Here, we don't take in account that IE is integrated in Windows blah blah, we take it from the end-user perspective

But the end-users perspective is that IE loads faster, even if they don't know it's because it's intergrated. :hmmm:

Can't help but feel you're biased against IE.

Such as? :huh:

Such as the last 10 or so ActiveX computing zone exploits that allow remote execution of VBscript code or exes on a machine. New variations are constantly popping up.

Made some changes:

Mentioned about Google Toolbar

Virtually useless now bad (Don't know of a better word yet)

Mentioned about plug-ins for IE.

No, I'm not bias against IE, it's the only browser I use on a day-to-day basis.

Opera's side panel is great, plus you didn't mention that the ads are disabled in the registered version. That also gets you faster tech support. How cold anyone use a browser without tabs these days?

I couldnt agree more, activex is great, for things like msn chat, and y! etc

What?! I don't think I've seen one good use for ActiveX which couldnt of been done better in java or flash. ActiveX is horrible and it will hopefully die with everyone turning it off due to the amount of 'install xyz dialer' popups on the web.

Opera's side panel is great, plus you didn't mention that the ads are disabled in the registered version. That also gets you faster tech support. How cold anyone use a browser without tabs these days?

Personally I think it's better if you compare it only for the free version. You can also buy tech support from Mozilla if you wish.

One point that hasn't been mentioned is that Opera has a built in email client, whereas FireFox and IE dont...