Internet Explorer vs Firefox vs Opera

Firefox lives up to its name, while Opera does not. Opera is no longer the fastest browser on Earth as it claimed to be. Sorry fans, but I think it should deserve the bloatest browser on Earth instead.

opera is much faster than anything else.

not because of startup or rendering speed, which is about the same on all, but because of the user interface.

i bet i can surf ten times faster with opera than you can with firefox or ie. why? because of stuff like mouse gestures, keyboard shortcuts, REAL mdi/tab browsing etc. you don't get this by default in firefox and if you try to download extensions to emulate opera's default features you end up with a confusing, cluttered mess of a user interface. extensions make firefox slower while opera is as fast as ever.

as for bloated, how come opera includes both mail, news, chat and rss in addition to a browser which is full of features in a SMALLER download than firefox manages to offer just a basic browser for newbies?

when it comes to speed opera wins, hands down.

Nice review thanks that helped me a bit. :)

Decided to give Firefox a try, it is very nice and the features are good, with a numerous amount of extensions and themes means when I get bored i can change the style. :p

Are you kidding? Look at all these security bulletins concerning ActiveX.

Take a look at those results. A lot of them deal with problems in a certain ActiveX control/component. The ones that deal with the technology itself are all a few years old.

Take a look at those results. A lot of them deal with problems in a certain ActiveX control/component. The ones that deal with the technology itself are all a few years old.

ummm. Yeah. Not going to bother. You just keep on using IE and tell yourself that ActiveX is safe to use.

Sort by date! Who cares about bugs in 98se, that OS is dead as far as I'm concerned with this topic. And look at them all, they're all ActiveX controls... None of it is IE's fault, the hole lies in the plugin itself, NOT the browser.

Pseudo: IE is safe, I've been using it for years and it's never gotten me in trouble :sleep:

ummm. Yeah. Not going to bother. You just keep on using IE and tell yourself that ActiveX is safe to use.

ActiveX is pretty much dead anyways, COM components are being replaced by other things...

Boy the mods should not allow reviews on browsers, its almost like Mac vs Windows vs Linux. All these kinds of reviews are going to biased in some form. Everyone is different and unique and every browser is just that, different and unique. The world would be boring if it were all the same. Windows almost did that but thankfully to skinning, etc. We can take back some of the power and make it unique to how we want.

Some people prefer Firefox, others Opera and then the IE users. Every browser has its pros and cons. I don't why we have to tell each other which one is better. It is almost like asking which political party is better (rhetorical question).

So come on people. He tried to be fair when reviewing (i am confused on the point system, but that is for another day).

how can you even say IE loads sites as fast as firefox? :blink: my ass :laugh: IE practically dies on most big websites, firefox just blasts right through em in my experience anyhow.

Although IE has full CSS1 support, it probably doesn't have full CSS2 and 3 support. The reason for such incompatibility is also because of Internet Explorer, so because of IE, we can't design sites so well.

how about you run some tests before speculateing on a review?

One point that hasn't been mentioned is that Opera has a built in email client, whereas FireFox and IE dont...
I thought that Outlook Express was included with IE installations but I could be wrong.
Firefox is based on the Gecko rendering engine, also used by Mozilla, Camino, Konqueror and many others.

I'm almost positive that Konqueror uses KHTML by default.

Opera is no longer the fastest browser on Earth as it claimed to be.
http://www.24fun.com/downloadcenter/benchjs/benchjs.html, Right now, the top 10 consists of 7 Opera users, 2 Firefox users and 1 IE user.
Opera has always been well known for supporting many CSS tags. I wanted it to get higher marks than Firefox, but unfortunately, it has to tie with it because of a simple reason. It doesn't like links with a bigger font size than normal text in some cases, on my site, at least. On some websites like mine, a trick is used to generate 1px borders around tables. This is where Opera messes up. Sure, I could have used CSS, but I still prefer the old way.

:blink:

The icons are nice [Opera's], but the layout isn't. Although they tried to be as organised as they could, it still overwhelms the user.

Opera has 7 buttons. Firefox has 5. IE has 14 according to my count. Overwhelming indeed.

Really enjoyed reading your review and thoughts of the other members here.

I've switched from Internet Explorer to Firefox and have yet to regret it. Mozilla deserves a pat on the back, they've done a great job with Firefox.

Firefox lives up to its name, while Opera does not. Opera is no longer the fastest browser on Earth as it claimed to be. Sorry fans, but I think it should deserve the bloatest browser on Earth instead.

i agree!

long live firefox.. :)