Arctic Silver 5

Great review - can't wait to try it out myself. Quick question though, because this is going to be my first build (AMD, not P4)....when you're applying the AS5 to the CPU die, how much of a blob should you squeeze out before spreading it out?

Do not use the entire tube. Just enough so that a thin layer of it covers the core of the chip, and only the top of the chip. Squeeze out small increments of the paste at a time, and continue applying until the core is 100% covered with the paste.

Remember: Thin layer, but 100% covered.

Edited by jhSellars

I know you usually put thermal paste on the CPU but on hot GPUs like Nvidia 6800 or just even the ATI X800 can you take off the fan put some AS5 and put the fan back on? Wouldn't that help cool the GPU better?

I know you usually put thermal paste on the CPU but on hot GPUs like Nvidia 6800 or just even the ATI X800 can you take off the fan put some AS5 and put the fan back on? Wouldn't that help cool the GPU better?

It certainly wouldn't hurt, you'd probably get lower temperatures.

Yes it will cool the GPU better.

It's very easy and not complicated at all. If anything it should be the least of worries you have to go through.

Good luck, I guess. I never thought I'd be saying that to someone applying thermal paste. : o