ViewSonic VP171B

Low refresh rates like 60Hz are uncomfortable on CRTs because their pixels require continuous scanning. On a CRT, the entire screen is rescanned (whether or not anything has changed) at that rate, which causes flicker. This is not the case on LCDs - once a pixel is "on" or "off", it doesn't need to be refreshed until its state changes. Therefore, LCDs have no flicker and the refresh rate is not a concern.

Thanks did not know how to explain

Nice review, when I was looking for 17 inch monitors that were LCD. I came to the same conclusion, I got myself the Viewsonic VP171B, August 2003. The monitor is very bright and no bad lcd lights!

This will be my monitor until Windows Longhorn comes out so I can match whatever its requirements.

I have this exact monitor except its the VP171S which means its silver. Its really a great monitor with no ghosting, but mine has 3 dead pixels :angry: luckly for me they are all on or below the top of the taskbar so you never see them.

At 1024x768 the refresh rates max is 85

At 1280x1024 the refresh rates max is 70 (75 without the driver)

is it just me or are there very few monitors with a native resolution of 1600x1200? I have that on my 19" CRT and i cant go back! but it seems like LCDs with that res are few and far between and very expensive! :( (like the dell 2100fp)

Only LCDs with UXGA screens can do 1600x1200 because they have more pixels. They are typically only available in 20' or larger sizes, which is why they are expensive.

I am planning to get the silver version of this in a few days after my check clears, this review of the sister model and other peoples opinions on it has sealed my decision and made me 100% sure to buy this screen.

Thanks for the review man, you just helped a fellow Neowinian. :p

Do away with CRTS for good here now! :D

I am planning to get the silver version of this in a few days after my check clears, this review of the sister model and other peoples opinions on it has sealed my decision and made me 100% sure to buy this screen.

Thanks for the review man, you just helped a fellow Neowinian:p:p

Do away with CRTS for good here now!:D:D

happy to be have been of assitance....I'm not going for CRT's anymore:no:o: it's LCD's all the way:yes:s:

I'm going to try and do away with both of the CRTs on my desk, one for Homerserv and one for Homer, but my friends sometimes use Homerserv if they are over, so I dunno yet. Time will tell! :D

I'm going to try and do away with both of the CRTs on my desk, one for Homerserv and one for Homer, but my friends sometimes use Homerserv if they are over, so I dunno yet. Time will tell!:D:D

Cool...let us know about your experience when you get it

Check cleared [-]

Order placed [-]

I can't wait now!! :D :D :D

Will have a nice suprise when I get home from school tommorow. Yey!! :D :D :D :D

• 3 weeks later...

I think i'm going to order the black one soon :D Thanks DJ Prem and Homer for writing the reviews!

(I was going to purchase a Dell 2001FP, but its ?200 more off eBay, but an extra ?200 would take me a good 4+ months to save for).

I'm thinking of buying this screen, I would just like to know how many colours it displays (16.7 or 16.2 million).

Cheers.

I believe the color display is 24-bit even though in the Windows Display you list it as 32-bit.

I'm sure someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe all lcd monitors are 24-bit color. So none can display 16 million colors...

Not all lcd monitors are 24-bit. the majority use an AU Optronics panel which is in fact 18-bit, the Optronics panel alternates colours in its range to make up 16.2 million colours, but only a 24-bit screen can show 16.7million.

It would be helpful if someone knew what panel was used in this screen.

I have just recieved an email from viewsonic europe saying that it is 16-bit.

This is an appaling 65536 colours!!

Can anyone tell the difference with the lack of colours this screen gives you?

I have just recieved an email from viewsonic europe saying that it is 16-bit.

This is an appaling 65536 colours!!

Can anyone tell the difference with the lack of colours this screen gives you?

looks pretty damn good to me.