Canon PowerShot s50

s50-specs.jpg

The Canon PowerShot s50 comes in two colors, black or silver. In my personal opinion the black one looks allot better which is why I bought it. My dad bought the camera a while back for about $600 now it costs anywhere from $359 to $604, but the 'street price' is about $600.

Price

US: $ 599

UK: ? 499

SanDisk ImageMate 6 in 1 Card Reader (We received this for free from where we purchased it, I don?t believe it is included with every purchase.)

32 MB CompactFlash Card

Wrist Strap WS-400

Battery Charger CB-2LT

Battery Pack NB-2L

AV Cable AVC-DC100

Interface Cable IC-300PCU

Software Starter Guide (Spanish Included)

Camera User Guide (Spanish Included)

Canon Digital Camera Solution Disk (The disk came with programs for Windows and Macintosh.)

For Windows:/b>

ZoomBrowser EX 4.1 (Great piece of software)

PhotoRecord 1.6 (Did not use)

PhotoStich 3.1 (Did not use)

RemoteCapture 2.7.0 (Did not use)

File Viewer Utility 1.2.0

Camera TWAIN Driver 6.0/5.0

Camera WIA Driver 6.0/5.0

For Macintosh/b>

ImageBrowser 3.0

PhotoStitch 3.1

RemoteCapture 2.7.0

File Viewer Utility 1.2.0

Camera USB Mounter 1.8

DimensionsBatteryt: 2.28 inBBatteryt: 9.2 oz

Battery

NB-2L, 7.4 V 570m[Zoomargea(Includes high resolution 3x optical lens and then you can zoom up to 12x / 11x usiModes and Scenes0%'>Modes and Scenes

b]on01.gifAuto Mode

All you have to do is press the shutter button and the camera will do the rest (you still have to zoom in and aim)

b].gifPortrait Mode

Use this mode when you want the subject to appear sharp and the background to blur.

b]gifLandscape Mode

Use this mode to shoot landscape scenes

b]fNight Scene Mode

Use this mode to capture human subjects against the backdrop of an evening sky or night scene.

b]Fast Shutter Mode

Use this mode to shoot fast moving objects

b]Slow Shutter Mode

Use this mode to shoot moving objects to make them appear blurred

b]6.gif Movie Mode

Use this mode to shoot movie frames. The resolution can be set to either 320 x 240 or 160 x 120.

b]n11.gifMacro Mode

Use this mode tOther options include Shutter Priority Mode s50-icon03.gif, Aperture Priority Mode s50-icon04.gif, Manual Mode s50-icon05.gif, and Custom Settings Mode s50-icon16.gifan2590/s50-icon16.gif[/img]

Flower 1

Flower 2

Flower 3

Sunset

Sunset 2

Cancun Resort

Cancun Resort 2

Mandalay Bay

Vegas 1

Pineapples

Grand Canyon 1

Grand Canyon 22.jpg"]Grand Canyon 2[/url]

Overall Opinion

Overall I thought that this camera was a great buy it has been very useful on vacations and I like it allot. I suggest buying a bigger CompactFlash Card because 32 MB was not nearly enough to take the amount of pictures I was taking.

Rating

pip.gifpip.gifpip.gifpip.gifpip.gif

5 out of 5 stars

I hope you enjoyed reading my review, to aid me in my writing I used the guide book, and credit for the images of the modes/scenes goes to megapixel.net, but that :) my Grand Canyon picture :).

Edited by devilman2590

Nice review. For 5 megapixel, the rocks nearest to you appear a bit fuzzy.

Can you please take one or two more images that are close up to verify clarity and sharpness outputted by the camera? Also, a closeup image to determine how far away an object has to be until it is properly focused.

Also, what format are the movies saved in?

Thanks.

Nice review. For 5 megapixel, the rocks nearest to you appear a bit fuzzy.

Can you please take one or two more images that are close up to verify clarity and sharpness outputted by the camera? Also, a closeup image to determine how far away an object has to be until it is properly focused.

Also, what format are the movies saved in?

Thanks.

Pictures added, enjoy.

nice pics Devilman....wish i could have edited my post to say so.... :shifty:

so um, did you type all that info up?...or was some cut/pasteing involved?

nice pics Devilman....wish i could have edited my post to say so.... :shifty:

so um, did you type all that info up?...or was some cut/pasteing involved?

Some of the stuff from "Features and Specifics" was copy pasted, but that is all :).

edit (why can't you really edit on IPB?)... actually MSRP is $499 for the S60...not bad.

The Canon PowerShot S60 digital camera comes bundled with a battery pack NB-2LH and charger CB-2LT, USB cable and 32 MB Compact Flash card. Optional accessories include a new waterproof case WP-DC40, Conversion Lens Adapter LA-DC10, 2.0x Tele-converter TC-DC10 and Wireless Controller WL-DC100. It will be available in June for an estimated street price of $499*.

http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/s60/press.html

Anyone care to explain why Cannon always sets their camera to record a max of 3 min video? What was that about? Can't they just record based on the amount of memory you have on your memory card?

Is the s60 better than the s500 (and no, I don't mean the s50), and if so why? I can't decide which one to buy?

Edited by unimatrixzer0

Is the S60 better than the S500, and if so why? I can't decide which one to buy?

Yeah the s500 is a completley different camera :p.

One of the main differences I see is the zoom 15x (s60) and 12x (s50), but thats just one there are probably many more.

I suggest getting the s60 it is newer and has new technology, it also has better specs (I would suggest looking at the comparison chart here but the s60 is not listed there!

i have the s40 and have wanted the s50.

nice review. ill wait for the leet 13 megapixel camera before i upgrade tho.

lol, for a 13mp camera, you know how freakin steady you have to keep the camera for the images to actually take advantage of all the CCDs?!?!