ABIT AN7 | Wont start ... Error Code 9A

So perhaps you followed my other threads. I'm changing the motherboard for my dad. The thing is that two weeks ago or so during a game of NFS his computer suddenly went offline with some kind of bang from his PSU as he said.

When you tried to reboot the system fans went on, you heard click-click (booting up noise) from the harddrives but the system beep after post wont come. We changed the PSU in first place with the same outgoing: Fans rotated but no beep. Stripped the system down to its core components (Motherboard with CPU, GraphicCard, One Ram Module, One HardDisk) but with no luck.

Then we figured that possibly the MainBoard is defect so he went and bought the ABIT An7 as mentioned in the thread title. Now i changed it and connected only the core components but now i've got some issues booting the new system

When i power up the (new) system the POST-Code Display says 83 then 9A

the manual says:

83: Save all data in stack back to CMOS

9A: **** ABIT this PostCode is not in the manual, very clever!

Is perhaps the CPU fried? What do you suggest?

MfG.Eversor

Little something i found a the abit forums

Basicly from what i got out of tech support (they don't actually have all the code definitions) from abit the code 9a is something like prossesor overheating / CPU fan not registering. Well i didn't think that it was overheating since the pc was never on long enough to up the temp, so i took off my aftermarket cooler, put on the AMD cooler (i got the retail prossesor) and tested. like magic it worked!

I took a look at the bottom of my aftermarket and noticed a bit o' blue tape left on it (guess i missed some when i originally installed it), removed it, cleaned the bottom of the heatsink but on more thermal paste and tried that aftermarket cooler again. This time it worked.

So it was either that blue plastic that was giving the mobo fits or the fan not having a good enough connection.

My advice to anyone who mite have this problem would be to check your cooler, the mobo seems to be a little touchy about how they are installed. [although i think this might be a good thing, keeps you from burning out your prossesor if it's improperly installed ]

I somehow don't understand how a frickin motherboard will know if this cooler sits well. My guess would be that it only checks if the is a fan present but anway i checked it 2 times now (meaning to take it off, put thermal grease off the cpu put new on,...). No luck. I connected a 3-pin system fan to the cpu fan connector on the board with still no luck. I'm done with this board. My father should have bought the NF7-S as i told him. Its a little old but (almost) all problem has been wiped out....

Edit: i'll correct myself. i never buy a board from ABIT again. I just tried calling their support hotline for germany and guess what "The number you have dialled is not available" And i checked it more than several times.

Edited by EvErSoR

I lent my father my enermax 365 psu. And now its a little better. At least all fans run, hdd starts but the post error code is now 1d. Its driving me crazy...

And no system beep.

Edited by EvErSoR

Finally! After a long struggle i figured it out. The GraphicCard was ***** up. Luckily i had an old matrox pci card flying arround. Put that in and system booted even with the old psu....

That took some time *phew

Mods can delete this thread if they like too or just leave it as a help for others...

Well I wouldn't go blaming Abit so quickly next time. Their products are on the whole legendary among overclockers everywhere, both for their speed and their stability.

GJ

1. They have error codes that aren't even mentioned in the manual?

2. - 57. They have no support hotline and/or spread out wrong numbers. Thats a big no!

I needed nearly 7 hours to get this machine into its first boot complete boot sequence. Thats normally more than enough time for to decide whether i buy a product from a company again or not. Wow they have an error code display that explains nothing but ****. I had to exchange every component to find out whats wrong...

Perhaps i would think in another way if i only got know to ABIT with the NF7-S 2.0. I hear only good....

I think you will find that 'customer support' is pretty crap for most major motherboard manufacturers.

Most I have encountered just have endless pages of FAQ's, very little of which bare any relation to the issue in question.

Maybe there are one or two exceptions - but in over 7 years of system building I don't really recall any.

The thing to remember with 'self build' systems - unlike systems you buy from a store - you are your own technical support hotline - your own manufacturer - and when push comes to shove you really are pretty much on your own.

Additionally you should recall that if you are still feeling some resentment towards Abit products - in reality Abit had nothing to do with it. If you had have called them and they had answered - clearly any help they offered you would have been above and beyond the remit of any warranty anyway.

They can only offer warranties on their own products if and when they fail - not on other people's.

Lastly any version of Abit's motherboards (or any other manufacturer's products) would have presented you with similar problems. There is no motherboard out there that can make a broken graphics card work, no matter how good it is.

You see it is worth thinking these things through rationally before making harsh decisions about what you will or will not buy in the future - particularly when the fault may be traced back to user error, rather than hardware.

GJ

Of all the possible error codes that could somehow be generated, no matter how unlikely, how many do you think are in most manuals/support documents? ;) I wouldn't worry about that too much, but their support number should have been updated (Y)

Lastly any version of Abit's motherboards (or any other manufacturer's products) would have presented you with similar problems. There is no motherboard out there that can make a broken graphics card work, no matter how good it is.

You see it is worth thinking these things through rationally before making harsh decisions about what you will or will not buy in the future - particularly when the fault may be traced back to user error, rather than hardware.

GJ

Good Point. As my next motherboard will be some months away i could have forgotten this "little accident". I was just so angry at this moment. Gotta see the positive side. i learned something about troubleshooting (never forget the graphic card)

Of all the possible error codes that could somehow be generated, no matter how unlikely, how many do you think are in most manuals/support documents?

Also true. But as i quoted in one of my first postings. They guys from the technical support hotline knew actually what 9A meant. After finding out what that means i changed the PSU because its says something of "CPU Cooler not responding". That means for me if its pproperly connected and works in other systems, something is wrong with the power it gets. And after that i "quickly" found the cause. (Took a break(fast) in between and chilled a little to get a cool head)

So i guess i should forgive them as it as a new product and they still have to wipe out the first errors. But they should update they manual...

Thanks for your comments!

Edited by EvErSoR