Windows website security scan

Call me crazy but it seems like a few months back I seen an article somewhere detailing how microsoft released a website that allowed Windows NT/2k/XP users to go and scan their computer for security holes etc. If I remember right that was hosted and run by a third party company but endorced and created by Microsoft. It gave the users you had installed on the system, services open or closed etc.

For the life of me I can NOT find it or remember it. Does anyone out there know what I'm talking about and if so what is the URL for it??

-modem

no man.. Microsoft are considering rolling out a tool that will scan your system and update it accordingly. when we ran the news it said that the tool was not yet available and would be later this year.. You might want to do a search on neowin for "security"

Microsoft need to get this tool out NOW!

Yeah, I remember seeing that...and coming from a network administration point I WILL NEED that like I need water to drink.

Although this was a webbased utility similar to what you'd find over at grc.com. I want to think it was done by/hosted on shavlik.com the same people that make hfnetchk.exe but I searched to no avail there. When I worked at Siemens/Mannesman I showed my coworkers in IS about it and we actually used it quite a bit a few months ago. I wasn't sure if it was still around or not.

My goal with that is to post a link to that on my website. Since I do network administration/consulting/design for other customers I want to make a means directly on my website for them to constantly be aware of the security risks on the net. If you wish, you can check out my test site: http://ftp.modemnet.org while I design and feel free to offer any criticism's/ideas you might have.

-modem

FTP

Closed Your computer has responded that this port exists but is currently closed to connections.

Telnet

Closed Your computer has responded that this port exists but is currently closed to connections.

SMTP

Finger

HTTP

POP3

IDENT

RPC

Net

BIOS

IMAP

HTTPS

MSFT

DS

UPnP

:p :p :p :D