MSN Messenger 6.2 Install Error

Question

Hey all,

First time posting around here, didnt know about it untill a friend told me to ask here about this problem. Nice site & forums. Keep up the good work :)

Anyway, I just downloaded MSN Messenger 6.2 and when I try install it I get this error message:

Extracting File Failed. It is most likely caused by low memory (low disk space for swapping file) or corrupted cabinet file.

What could be wrong here?

All help appreciated!

Thanks.

- Sully

12 answers to this question

Yup - still the same error. It takes like an hour to download cause im on a 56K. So god damn annoying!

- Sully

If you still have the SetupDL.exe file on your system try renaming that to setupdl.cab and open it with WinRAR

and extract the msnmsgs.msi; Does that extract or give a crc error trying to? If it extracts from the cab file

it shouldn't be corrupt, but you can take it a step further and rename the .msi file to .rar and try extracting those

If those extract fine then it's not a corrupt download, And if you don't have Windows Installer 3.0 RC1 installed

then try running 'msiexec /unreg' then 'msiexec /regserver' and try to install again

OK I uninstalled the old version and then re-installed it and tried to update it again (this time using an updater with MSN Messenger which told me there was a new version out) and it launched the install auto and the same error appeared.

Now back to JaredFrost's suggsetions. I renamed it to setupdl.cab and it opened up in WinRAR with 2 files: MSNMsgs.msi and bootstrap.exe. I cant launch or extract the file, I get this error: Extraction is not supported for this file type. And then u get an error that says it cant find MSNMsgs.msi (its looking in temporary files in my system so I guess the reason for that error is because of the first one?) so I cant rename msi to .rar.

Ran those two commands and attempted to install: Same error "Extracting File Failed. It is most likely caused by low memory (low disk space for swapping file) or corrupted cabinet file. "

However, im beginning to think this is something to do with my computer because I cant install SpyBot Search and Destroy, some files wont save to my computer (some will but most wont) and I get this error: An error occured while trying to copy a file. The source file is corrupt. -- and yes i have re-downloaded it with the same error. Another program I cant install is Messenger Plus! 3.01 (a plug-in for Messenger) and I get this error:

"Access on Disk is denied OR setup package is corrupt. Here are common ways to solve these problems:

* Log-on with Administrative Privileges -- Im admin on this account. So that rules that one out.

* Install in a different directory -- Tried that. Makes no difference, same error.

* Restart your computer -- Tried that too. Makes no difference, same error.

* Download the setup pacakage from a different source -- Tried that. Makes no difference, same error.

Any more ideas on what could be wrong and how to fix? Its really annoying now lol. Porthos, ill try out your suggestion once iv ruled out there aint anything messed up on my system preventing it from installing.

Note: Iv Norton AV Installed (and up to date) and it doesnt report any viruses. I also have Ad-Aware 6.0 (latest reference file) and that doesnt report anything either. And the hosts file is ok.

Cheers for your help again. Hope someone can help me out more!!

- Sully

Try opening the setupdl.cab with WinZip then; See if you can extra it from there; If not something is corrupting your downloads

You might want to try a few online virus scanners if that is the case likeTrendMicro's page

Or disable all startup items from within msconfig on the startup tab

If you can and trying to open the MSNMsgs.msi file you get the same error

"Extracting File Failed. It is most likely caused by low memory (low disk space for swapping file) or corrupted cabinet file. "

Then we're probably looking at a Windows Installer problem,

I'm gonna give you every possible solution I can think of at once here so get ready.

First try opening your Registry Editor; Goto HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SYSTEM \CurrentControlSet \Services\MSIServer

Double-Click on ImagePath make sure this is the correct path you have the msiexec.exe,

Example: Mine says: C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe /V

If this is right try booting into Safe Mode this time and running the msiexec /unreg and msiexec /regserver again

boot back into normal mode and try to install it again; Failing that try disabling all startup items reboot and open up Task Manager

on the Processes tab sort by username and make sure you ONLY have explorer.exe and taskmgr.exe running for your account

then try the install again; and if THAT fails also; Try making a new Administrator account and doing the installation from there

If this ALSO doesn't work and you know when it stopped working you can do a system restore back to when it was working

if that isn't an option then try the following; This next step requires your Windows XP CD so if you don't have it you might be SOL

Boot into safe mode, open a command prompt window; type: cd /D c:\windows\system32\dllcache

ren msi.dll msi.old

ren msiexec.exe msiexec.old

ren msihnd.dll msihnd.old

then type cd..

then

ren msi.dll msi.old

ren msiexec.exe msiexec.old

ren msihnd.dll msihnd.old

reboot the system back into normal mode, then run sfc /scannow; It's going to say the following

Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL Cache.

This is where you insert your Windows XP cd and wait a few seconds then click Retry

When that is done, make sure all the files are back in the system32 and system32/dllcache folders

these three, msi.dll, msiexec.exe and msihnd.dll; If it's not on the system32 just copy them from the DLLCache

folder to that then reboot the system and try the install again

Nothing worked apart from the CD Issue and Recovery. I cant use the recovery because im not to sure when exactly this problem really arrised. And I cant find my XP Home CD :| XP Professional any good, no?

- Sully

Never mind.

Problem seems to have fixed itself (else the upgrade to WinXP Service Pack 2 fixed it).

Thanks all for your help. Greatly appreciated!

- Sully