HP DeskJet 5652 Colour Inkjet Printer

HP DeskJet 5652 Printer

I decided to get another printer to replace my Epson Stylus Color C44 Plus. What an excellent decision it was!

I originally decided to get this printer after my friend has an HP DeskJet 5550 and tells me that it is very fast and can handle a lot of printing without changing the cartridges.

I purchased this printer off the Apple site with my eMac for ?108. There was a promotion going on at the time so I managed to send off for a ?70 rebate. A new printer for ?38!!!

The printer came boxed and packaged well, but was not overdone. After taking away the polystyrene packaging and a few sheets of protective plastic, the printer was too easy to set up. I immediately unplugged my Epson printer and replaced it with this new baby.

I fired the new printer up and not only was it silent compared to the Epson - it was quick on the initial start up at about 20 seconds (compared to the Epsons 1 minute+ wait time).

I did not use the original driver CD, but the latest ones of the HP website. After a few minutes of clicking "Next" the printer was up and raring to go!.

Firstly I tried out "FastDraft" mode. Boy this thing is fast. I managed to print out a page of text in 13 seconds. This is also including the time it takes to draw in the paper and spit it out fully. It took 6 seconds for a whole side of A4 to be printedHP Automatic Two-Sided Printing Accessory/b>

This is a very nifty device which plugs into the back of the printer very quickly (no messing about with little plasticy bits) - iv'e had less luck using an electrical socket. Its very novel, but can be very slow if you are in a real hurry (as the paper has to be turned by a load of rollers). It also waits for the ink to dry on the paper before it does so. At least it's not stupid.

Another great thing is the 8MB memory. Good enough to store a lot of documents before printing them.

Ink. This is the only bad part of the printer (and the HP DeskJet series range). The ink scratches off - a problem that I never had with the Epson. If you scratch your nail hard enough over black text, it will blurr as if the ink is smudging. (It doesn't happen a lot with the colour ink though). This happens however long you have let it dry. I don't think it's just this specific model printer either - I annoy my friend by 'smudging' his coursework from time to time. (He uses the HP DeskJet 5550). This is moreso a problem on photo paper. I printed off a very high quality test image - only to scratch the ink off with not too much effort.

The paper tray is very adequate, the printer even determines the size of the paper using a little blue/purple laser! (This looks really cool). But there is a part of the paper tray in which the paper is delivered on which seems quite flimsy. It's not too bad, but nethertheless it does look a bit strangePro's:/b>

Very fast printer.

East to set up.

Printer not too pricey.

Can handle vast print quantities before changing cartridge.

8MB memoryCon's:/b>

Ink scratches off.

Ink cartridges pricey.

Paper tray somewhat flimsy.

Overall, I think it deserves 9 out of 10. If I dont go around printing text in high quality and scratching it off, its well worth ?108.

HP Official Site

5652.jpg

Edited by absolutemaxpayne.co.uk

Sorry, mods can you move this to the Reviews section :blush:

I was in a bit of a rush and placed it in the essential guides section. Thanks.