DVD ripping

i once almost tried doing this, i downloaded all the tools and was about to start and i then i learned that it takes about 10-20 HOURS.

i also read that it wears out the dvd laser in your drive.

Originally posted by GatorZx2

i also read that it wears out the dvd laser in your drive.

where did you hear this? that can't be true, because that would mean that using an encyclopedia on a DVD would wear out the laser as well.

www.doom9.net

It doesn't really take that long with newer codecs, and it only wears out your drive if you encode it directly off the DVD. It is a much better idea to copy the DVD to your harddrive and work with it from there, to avoid running the DVD drive for hours and hours.

Originally posted by GambitADSL

www.doom9.net

It doesn't really take that long with newer codecs, and it only wears out your drive if you encode it directly off the DVD. It is a much better idea to copy the DVD to your harddrive and work with it from there, to avoid running the DVD drive for hours and hours.

i didnt know you could encode directly off the dvd..

it was a long time ago when i tried, i think i read it at a website that gave directions on how to rip it. i wasnt sure if it was true or not so i just satyed away to be safe. i never thought about copying the dvd to your hard drive then ripping it.

Originally posted by GatorZx2

me either, it was a long time ago when i tried, i think i read it at a website that gave directions on how to rip it.

haha.. what a bad tutorial.. u can just copy it to the hd and do it, and it'll run much faster.. lol

there are actually a few programs that do it all for you

dupDVD is a good one

i have it if anyone wants a copy, its the latest .4 i think

DUP-DVD is a powerful tool to backup a DVD movie to VCD or SVCD with just a click. Support DVD to VCD image, VCD image to CDRW. Support almost all popular CD writers. Only need up to 2G hard disk space.

More info available at: http://www.dup-dvd.com

ugh...

Doom9.net - The definitive DVD backup resource

Just go there. It really is "The definitive DVD backup resource". He's got codec comparisons, FAQs, encoding guides for just about anything:

DivX, Xvid, SVCD, VCD, DVD-DVD-R, etc...

Multiple ways to rip to DivX (3,4,5) but nothing about EasyDivX, which means you should probably stay away from it unless you don't really care about getting optimum quality. ;)

So stop asking questions here because my answer will just be: goto Doom9.net. :D

http://nickyguides.digital-digest.com/

Great article with links to the tools, screenshots, and tons of information available on this subject.

It takes about 6 hours using a Pentium 4 class machine, lots of Ram, and running the minimal programs. You can set it to encode at night and when you wake up it will be finished, providing you have the horsepower!

The actual RIp of the VOB and IFO files from the DVD to the HDD takes less than 20 minutes, again on a monster machine. I can rip a 7 GB dvd in around 20-35 minutes, sometimes faster sometimes slower, just depends.

The encoding is what takes so long. When you encode using FlaskMpeg, it takes a while. But there are ways to speed it up, however, you risk losing the quality of the image that way.

Hop that guide above helps.

Big Booger

nicky's page haven't been updated in a long time so info there is a bit out of date.

"It takes about 6 hours using a Pentium 4 class machine, lots of Ram, and running the minimal programs. You can set it to encode at night and when you wake up it will be finished, providing you have the horsepower!"

not true. with most decent cpus you can encode faster than real time.

"The encoding is what takes so long. When you encode using FlaskMpeg, it takes a while. But there are ways to speed it up, however, you risk losing the quality of the image that way."

using Flask is one of the most inefficient ways you could encode. quality and speed is far from the best. read doom9's page and you'll see there are alot better ways of encoding with faster speeds and higher quality.

for the update,

Doom9 is good, don't get me wrong, and yes Nicky's guide has not been updated in a while.

While you tried to turn what i said into false information, I never stated anything definitely, so my statements stood only as a guide, not to be implied or mistaken for the absolute truth.

As far as Flask goes, I like it because i have used it for over 2 years, and I am comfortable with it. The Nicky guide does an excently job in showing how to use it, and is to me, a very simple process.

With regards to CPU speeds, I was estimating using a rough guide based on my own experience. I have in no way, benchmarked, timed, tested, experimented etc... with the actually duration of the process.

I like nicky's pages...

sue me.

Thanks for your input.

Back to the orginial issue,

Vcdhelper.com is another site I used frequently.

"information provided is not 100% factual, nor is it certifiable. It is based on personal experience, and has not been meticulously experimented, whilst I try very hard to give facts, sometimes the information provided is not wholly factual. In the event this information leads to disinformation, I apologize."

Big Booger

whoah there, hold up, just use DVD2SVCD from doom9 it will do all the crap 4 ya in 1 shot and leave u with a nice SVCD at the end of it

forget divx, not good if ya want 2 watch ya movies on a external DVD player