Man Killed by 9 volt battery

Yeah; it is a bit sad but yeah is pretty funny.

I know peeps who put the 9volt batterys onto there touques to see if they are still working or not; i some times wonder if that could kill them?

no, 9 volts to the tounge shouldn't kill you, I've done like 40 in my science class. It just like fried 2 spots on my tounge and felt really funny.

well a pacemaker is enough to change your heartbeat, and how much voltage/amperage does that produce? ;)

pacer stuff

up to around 4v when it kicks in...but you don't feel it

*anita looks at her multimeter and smiles...SHE knows how to treat it right*

Whoever said that its a job for the Mythbusters...

thats a pretty good idea

In electronics class they tell you to ground yourself, and try not to touch things to complete a current...with your body(i.e. open circuts/metal)

http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/Sample_Pr...aw/ohmslaw.html

I is current(Amps)

which is what others stated before kills you....because its like how much goes at one time through you....(wavelength)

I think not... the wattage is nowhere near strong enuf.. he must have had a prior hart problem

I've been electrecuted by a capasiter from a TV tube... and I was fine... ok.. so my back made a large hole in the wall I was thrown against.. but I did'nt die

But you got some brain damage, judging by your spelling. :rofl:

i can't stop laughing everytime i read this thread

What the.... Dude someone died I don't think it is funny at all... I bet the relatives of the person who died think it's really funny too why not go and laugh with them..

I think it is just sick if you think it is even slightly funny.. Come on people someone died.. It may be a while ago but still respect should be shown

What the.... Dude someone died I don't think it is funny at all... I bet the relatives of the person who died think it's really funny too why not go and laugh with them..

I think it is just sick if you think it is even slightly funny.. Come on people someone died.. It may be a while ago but still respect should be shown

i don't think hes laughing becase the guy died, he laughing at the assmonks who are laughing at the guy dieng. they are assmonks.

Well I was going to explain how that would be impossible to kill yourself with a 9V battery but the Darwin article explained more of the story that was not mentioned in the thread. If you try this, take a multimeter and measure your body's resistance. I have done this several times and typically I get 1.5-2MOhm readings between both hands. If you put a 9V load across your hands, you're pulling such little current that it's not going to do a damn thing to you. However, as the article suggested, the body may have a much much lower internal and since this guy piecered his skin on purpose with the probes, his resistance may have decresed quite a bit and drawn more current from the battery. Also, your resistance (skin and internal) is highly affected by your electrolyte balance and how hydrated you are at the time. Remember people, V=IR!! :D

PS: Touching a 9V battery to your tongue is perfectly OK and I do this on a daily basis to see how 'strong' the battery is before I use them in wireless mics in my job. All it does is make your tounge muscles twitch.

PSS: An even cooler trick is to take your multimeter and place it on a voltage measurement setting (around the 2millivolt range setting) and touch the probes to your temples. You actually get some voltage readings and if yuo start thinking about stuff, the voltages start to swing around rapidly. Very fun stuff! :yes:

PSS: An even cooler trick is to take your multimeter and place it on a voltage measurement setting (around the 2millivolt range setting) and touch the probes to your temples. You actually get some voltage readings and if yuo start thinking about stuff, the voltages start to swing around rapidly. Very fun stuff! :yes:

but don't pierce the skin :p

Well here we have a clasic example of electricity passing through solutes....og course electricity flows through metals cause of the delocalised electrons due to nature of metallic bonding....but if the electricty is passed through a solute (where the solution contains molecules which are ionically bonded.....so sugar molecules are a no no cause they are covalent) electricty passes thri=ough it nice a quick because the ions seperate into postive and negative ions and therefore allow current to pass betweent he two probes....and of course because he was doing two thumbs the electricty would pass through the heart hence he died, cause if he had just done two fingers on the same hand he would just be ina bit of pain......arghh.....what am I doing?????

GCSE's are over.......don't need to know this stuff anymore......suffering.......work....withdrawal............help :wacko:

That's sad, but pretty funnay :laugh: When I was little I used to put a 9v battery in my thong to see what happened :blink:

you put it in your thong huh? First of all, thats pretty nasty that you wear man thongs. Second, thats pretty nasty that you tried to zap your twig and berries. Remind me to stay away from you

If I remember right, Yes, it could kill him, but not if he were measuring the resistance.

Ohmmeters use current and measure voltage to extrapolate resistance. An ohmmeter could not send enough current to kill you, I don't think.

According to this website, the original ohmmeters used voltage and measured current. That is less accurate because you disturb the voltage of the DUT (device under test) enough to affect the resistance, especially if the resistance is low. It's because the voltage across the leads themselves don't affect the resistance of the total circuit. I'd assume the navy would use the more accurate type that use a small current. A complete explanation of why you'd want to use current an not voltage to measure resistance would take a page.

Explanation of Ohmmeter

thus, I say it's a hoax/BS

• 10 years later...