1) hop over to http://www.vortex-sc...atches/Uxtheme/ and get the uxtheme.dll for your windows built (note: open cmd, type "winver" without the quotes and you'll see what version/built you have)
2) then jump over to http://www3.telus.net/_/replacer and get replacer (it comes with a readme/guide so it's pretty easy to use)
3) execute it, drag'n'drop c:\windows\system32\uxtheme.dll on it, it will create a backup for you automatically aswell.
4) then drag the NEW uxtheme.dll file on replacer so it gets replaced with the new one.
6) put the visual style files in C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes
now your themes should be visible in the appereance tab.
i hope this guide is easy to understand. i made it for those who tried the neowin uxtheme patcher (http://www.neowin.ne...xtheme_v101.zip for xp gold and sp1)and it didn't work (doesn't work on sp2, thanks frease for telling me hehe) or for people who just don't know (yet) howto handle this little task or don't wanna use 3rd party software like tgtsofts' stylexp.
UPDATE: Neowin UXTheme Multi-Patcher 2.5.1 is out (http://files.tcmagaz...thememul251.zip)
1) Rename uxtheme.dll to uxtheme.dll.old
2) Put the new uxtheme.dll into C:\Windows\System32
3) Reboot and delete uxtheme.dll.old
also updated the links to vortexs' new domain.
edit: added a mirror and put up all needed files on my site aswell
http://vortex-scratchpad.info/ is back up and running.
Edited by insanekiwi, 05 April 2005 - 08:48.