i'm starting my own distro

i am starting my own distro based on distro which are debian :ninja:

if you want to help contact me.

you need only know howto use linux and you can help.

please give names for the debian ISO which some people call a new distro.

it going to have the following software.

firefox

gnome

kernel 2.6.x or 2.4.x will be include for the first few versons

gimp

gaim

open office

and all the apps i use

if someone really want kde they can add it

its going to be a sf project i need names quickly

Edited by gmail|debian

I haven't used linux much (just red hat) so i'm not an expert. If u need beta testers who don't know much about linux and are first time linux users, i'll be glad to beta test it if u want

If on the other hand this is for people who are linux pros and who can get around the command prompt, there's not much I can do... :s

well once i get the basics up all you really need to do is add the .deb the right path and tell me you did and i can set it up

OpenOffice :D

ok may i should make this neowin's distro which is really debian have a section on this forum where you all post....

if i am going to do that the name is NeonixOS :shifty:

i am starting my own distro based on distro which are debian :ninja:

if you want to help contact me.

you need only know howto use linux and you can help.

please give names for the debian ISO which some people call a new distro.

it going to have the following software.

firefox

gnome

kernel 2.6.x

gimp

gaim

and all the apps i use

if someone really want kde they can add it

its going to be a sf project i need names quickly

Add mplayer with all the windows-compatible codecs. That's a bit of a pain to install and it isn't listed on the normal apt-get repositories.

Add mplayer with all the windows-compatible codecs.  That's a bit of a pain to install and it isn't listed on the normal apt-get repositories.

well i am going to use helixplayer (aka real player 10+ for linux it way better than the one for other os) seeing they are becoming GPLed

and say I if you want the name neonixOS or neonix because i am opening a sf.net project where i'll start working

well i am going to use helixplayer (aka real player 10+ for linux it way better than the one for other os) seeing they are becoming GPLed

and say I if you want the name neonixOS or neonix because i am opening a sf.net project where i'll start working

I'd vote neonix over neonixOS. You don't see MepisOS or KnoppixOS. The OS is extraneous.

Any product that references RealPlayer does not excite me.

I'd vote neonix over neonixOS. You don't see MepisOS or KnoppixOS. The OS is extraneous.

Any product that references RealPlayer does not excite me.

i am only supporting them becuase i help with the push to make them GPLed and i use the real player codec a lot and .... i might add mplayer at a later date.

anyone really want this to be a live cd because then i start download gnoppix's code

One question.. Who are you aiming this release at?

First timers and n00bs? People who already know and use linux? Linux powerusers? Or everybody?

One question.. Who are you aiming this release at?

First timers and n00bs? People who already know and use linux? Linux powerusers? Or everybody?

well i am just putting together an iso not make any new programs ;)

i'll chose an installer which is easy to understand i will not leave you at the comand line

if someone want to regerster neonix .com/.net/.anything feel free just to tell me and i can get a web site up and running

project info:

its GPLed

its just another debian iso

its becoming a sf.net project

it neowin's own distro

I AM JUST A PROJECT MANGER

hardly any programing will be involed making this

i need donations like a domain and helpers which know where things are ment to be.

ETA 4days-1month for the first iso

What's the point...? There are plenty of better distros out there, with more people, and if all you're doing is putting files together on a CD it's hardley going to be anything special.

I know but you get the app you acclully want and not the one you dont want and i am going to make a few iso images like one with gnome, with kde. with both, one with fluxbox...

What's the point...? There are plenty of better distros out there, with more people, and if all you're doing is putting files together on a CD it's hardley going to be anything special.

I can see a couple of points:

1) A learning experience. (Y)

2) Almost all 'distros' started out by someone wanting to fill their own needs. This may go nowhere, or it may be nice and catch on.

3) Did I mention 'learning experience' ;)

i'll work on the gnome verson first.

a verson for old hardware like p2 sub 500MHz

then kde. and few hrs latter a combide verson will be out

then the gammer verson with gnome will be out

then the gammer verson with kde will be out

then total combided verson

updates will take place almost daily

I can see a couple of points:

1) A learning experience. (Y)

....it may be nice and catch on.

there the main one and i stuffed my /boot partion (locked my self out of it, LONG STORY) and dont have any way of booting in beside by cd (no floopy/usb driver) and i dont wana waste a cd just to boot in when it can be put to good use like using my own distro, any any way i am coping my updates/software on too this cd see i still have the binary....

What platform are you going to do the build for, x86 or PowerPC?

i can make verson later on for PowerPC, amd64... BUT I WILL NEED PEOPLE HELPING.

what you need to know:

a to z (because that where you place the package that ALREADY made.)

howto copy text which is already in one file and just paste it in text file including all the text.... if you want to help i'll make it make sence to you.

you can really help under any os.....

If mod aprove to keep the forum clean i can make a sprate topic for each topic being talk about like:

neonix: question

neonix: help (when i set up the first iso)

neonix: request

and what ever else which look like it will be needed

I agree. My suggestion is that instead of building your own distribution, you decide on a distro already made that u like and go with it.