i'm starting my own distro

not if i use unoffical (GPL) ati drivers as they are better but nvidai users you guy got good drivers from nvidia so your stuck.

to the person which offerd hosting above, i am pming you. and i dont care about bw i just need hosting untill this become a sf.net project and then they host it.

be aware the installer SUCKS but you only use it once in a life time (unless a :alien: come to your com. or your installing on more than 1 computer ;) )

you install all programs AFTER the installer to make it clear. (first time you boot you set up everything like username....PROGRAMs....) i will make an un offical package which INSTALLS everything for you that you want. it will be some thing like (for a gnome system); apt-cdrom add; having the cd in your cd driver; apt-get install gnome-neonix; ...

DONT BE SCRAD OF THE COMAND LINE :no:

it as easy as seting up your bios (and for all you hackers/overclockers it as easy as pie)

check your PM's ;)

Well that's a bad way of looking at things.

I really don't think it's worth wasting your/other peoples time and bandwidth for a project that going by your attitude will go absolutely nowhere.

:rolleyes: i said i am not a programmer i am using debian's installer (i think it works j/k)

and again after using it then about 3 day later you will not be able to remember how it looks

Well that's a bad way of looking at things.

I really don't think it's worth wasting your/other peoples time and bandwidth for a project that going by your attitude will go absolutely nowhere.

The point with Debian is that you only need to install it once.

If you started a few years ago with Mandrake 8 you would have reinstalled Mandrake 9 and then again for Mandrake 10 (Assuming you don't bother with minor releases like 9.1)

With Debian you could install a 3 year old copy and still use apt-get to get the latest kernel, XFree86, desktop environments or window managers.

When a new release of Debian comes out there is no need to reinstall. You just use apt-get to get the latest features and/or packages.

The point with Debian is that you only need to install it once.

If you started a few years ago with Mandrake 8 you would have reinstalled Mandrake 9 and then again for Mandrake 10 (Assuming you don't bother with minor releases like 9.1)

With Debian you could install a 3 year old copy and still use apt-get to get the latest kernel, XFree86, desktop environments or window managers.

When a new release of Debian comes out there is no need to reinstall. You just use apt-get to get the latest features and/or packages.

:rofl: you said what i was to lasty to type up,

BTW i am a hacker, not a porgramer, so i dont start my own work, i use someone else and make it work for me and you.... :cool:

:rofl: you said what i was to lasty to type up,

BTW i am a hacker, not a porgramer, so i dont start my own work, i use someone else and make it work for me and you.... :cool:

question: are you going to be using debian's apt repositories? if so, what makes this different than debian with a few cosmetic changes?

^exactly. any idiot can put a bunch of programs on a debian cd and change tha name of it to neonix. you need something unique. if you can get ATI drivers working flawlessly, this distro will be a hit. if not, its just a waste of everyones time and bandwidth.

or you could just write comprehensive howto's explaining how to get them working in debian and skip the new distribution idea all together.

i'm not saying that you couldn't organize your own distribution, i just think that you don't understand the massive responsibility and work it would take to keep one together. that's something that i definately wouldn't be able to do as a 13 year old. if you are able to pull this together and make it a professional piece of work: more power to you.

or you could just write comprehensive howto's explaining how to get them working in debian and skip the new distribution idea all together.

i'm not saying that you couldn't organize your own distribution, i just think that you don't understand the massive responsibility and work it would take to keep one together. that's something that i definately wouldn't be able to do as a 13 year old. if you are able to pull this together and make it a professional piece of work: more power to you.

Very good point, also what sort of support are you offering under the progect. I would sit down and have a long look at the prospect of taking on a Huge responsability. :huh:

And I wouldn't use any distros from someone's who's interests were listed as: hacking, hacking, etc. hacking windoze userz. Hehe no offense, but if you really want a distribution to take off, you should at least be a little professional about it.

Oh well, who cares right? I hope you make a great package that people want to use. And if all else fails, it'll be a pretty good learning experience.

And I'd also advice against the game server idea. I run a lot of them myself and they update quite a lot and if you can't install one yourself then you probably can't update it either. Just my two cents though.

Good luck Neonix.

:: stops waving the Fedora flag for a moment:: I find the enthusiasm to build your own distro good and its what Linux is all about. However, I think you do need to take a step back and think of the responsibilities involved. For example, Macromedia requires a license to redistribute Flash and Shockwave. Even though they are freely downloadable and most sites almost force you to download them, the site forcing has to have a redistribution license (just got one for myself, woot). Many companies run this way as a form of keeping track of their property.

As to the distro as a whole, you need something striking. Something to make users want to download it. Many have mentioned ATi drivers and I'd have to agree. If you could have the option of NVidia and ATi drivers pre-installed, it'd make life easier. Also, you meaned it was ugly at install... I know to most computer/linux saavy folks, it doesn't matter.. But looks sell. If the thing reminds me of installing ViewMax for DR Dos (or FreeBSD on text install for example).. I'm going to chunk it in the trash.

My advice is to get a good group, preferably physically close to you (google search for a LUG (Linux User Group) in your area) and run it with them till mechanically, everything is sound. Then when you're ready, work on the graphics and eye candy for public viewing. Many distros get shot down because either they look horrid or they have no substance, just clones of what's already out there.

To the neowin community, let's stop yapping about how its a waste of time and not worth downloading. That's destructive criticism and doesn't help at all. Richard Stallman and Linus weren't large corporations, and both Unix and Linux started out butt ugly. But now we take its previous versions for granted and complain when something takes a little effort or gritting of teeth. Linux, like the IBM commercial potrays, is like a child. Ever growing, ever learning. And like good parents, we need to nurture it into something good. Not the "dark hard to use thing h4x0rz uses".

I think, personally, Linux's one big downfall is its lack of marketting. IBM is advertising but their demographic is corporations. Linux needs a good home-user target audience and no one's appealing to it. As part of my college course, its required to take at least one class in Unix (its actually Red Hat 9) and I was amazed at how fast most of the students (most between the ages of mid-20s to 30's) instantly took to Linux and wanted to try it out at home or switch totally. They just have to be exposed to it, then they're hooked.

Linux == Crack. Hehehe.. ::kicks the soap box:: Viva La Penguin Revolution!

i agree that linux is addictive. and with KDE and all it really isnt htat hard to use. my mom came once on my pc to look at email, and then she wanted to play a game of backgammon. she didnt know it was using linux and she just naturally went through hte menus in KDE anad when she got to the games when started "wheres microsoft internet backgammon". "ummmm, i deleted it". "fine..... ill go on the other computer. "

i really think that most people wouldnt have a hard time using it if they just tried it once.

it took my friend +30hours to make a distro.. my advice would be to check what you do a lot because if you mess up on one little thing you will probably have to start all over

i am making my own cd, you will see the install once and only once thats what so great about it. i can have unoffical ATI drivers on the cd to APT off the cd (not the internet) seeing the normal ati drivers are crap and are not GPL conpatible! as for nvidia there are no unoffical drivers which are better than there offical ones, so i need to check if they are GPL conpatible...

guys this is a debian testing branch iso, debian dont make them, they only have for the OUT-OF-DATE stable branch, testing is good for desktop users so i am hacking there netinst.iso which is 110MB to be with all the apps.

PLEASE READ FRED666 COMMENT IT EXPLANEWHAT I MEAN THAT YOU WILL NEVER SEE THE INSTALLER AGAIN :alien:

what installer are you using? i really dont care as long as its straightforward, has a good formatting thing, and has a gui.

using a beta installer from debian.

its text based GUI, straight forward ....

if its a text based GUI wouldnt it be a text install then?

do you have a screenshot of hte partitioning page? of does it just use cfdisk. if its cfdisk, then i dont think i really want to use it. ive had bad experiences...

its like your bios your not at the comand line ANYWHERE

i'll add a few images of the installer now

i want to use a mouse. oh, heres another feature that it needs. it needs to be able to detect logitech mice.

moron :blink: i said i am not a programer your stuck with a one time installer :happy: and you use the up & down arrows to move. the installer is not using x its a dialog you will see in the next post the screenshots

:no: if the installer is gonna suck, and the distro wont have any real improvements over any other distros, then i can guarantee you you'll be the only one using it.

DAIL UPERS LIKE ME THIS WILL TAKE A FEW MIN TO LOAD

when you put in the cd this should show on your screen (i can change this image to any if someone really want me wasting my time on such things)

000-boot.png

this is the installer menu you can view when the dialog loads by pushing esc

003-initial-menu.png

choosing your lang

004-language.new.png

skipping to hardware detecter

047-hw-detect.png

partioning (auto)

049-part-method.png

050-part-auto-warning.png

051-part-computing.png

052-part-auto-dest.png

053-part-auto-schemes.png

054-part-auto-result.png

partioning (manule)

055-partitioner.png

056-part-new-table.png

057-part-table-type.png

058-part-destinations.png

059-part-action.png

060-part-size.png

061-part-type.png

DOT DOT DOT DOT DOT DOT DOT

ok there are like 1000 of them goto http://people.debian.org/~madduck/d-i/screenshots/ and view the dot pngs there and if there like boot_OLD.png and boot_NEW.png view the one which has _NEW

:no: if the installer is gonna suck, and the distro wont have any real improvements over any other distros, then i can guarantee you you'll be the only one using it.

it doesnt not suck it just that it will be used once and no one want to waste time programing a way better installer... this installer is for someone who want to only use it once in a lifetime! not a mandrake user which want to come back to it every new verson :p

there are other debian based distros with Graphical installers, like MEPIS.

and after looking at the screenshots, damn that partitioning hting is even more complicated than cfdisk.

there are other debian based distros with Graphical installers, like MEPIS.

and after looking at the screenshots, damn that partitioning hting is even more complicated than cfdisk.

you know what i might even base it on MEPIS or other debian INSTALLERS just name them and i'll port it to my work now