Standby Mode

Well, I'm not THAT much of a noob. I am aware that Standby mode turns off certain devices such as the monitor and hard drives, but my question is this. Is there a way to go into standby mode, and still have a connection to the internet? I have a laptop and it would be nice to leave messenger programs open and go into standby, saving power and still being able to receive messages. The only thing i can think of which could prevent the standby feature is the use of the hard drive. If I get a message, I'm sure there's going to be some needed hard drive access. Then again I'm not entirely sure just what standby mode turns off.

Your thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Shmenge

Standby turns off power to every device other than your memory modules. Because of this, you can't receive messages while your machine is in standby mode - the network adapter, hard disk, and every other component is powered down.

Instead, you can set up your monitor and hard disks to turn off after a certain period of inactivity using the Power options applet in Control Panel.