Google acquires Picasa

Interesting! Picasa is an amazing app for sorting out all your digital photos.

Google Inc. today announced it acquired Picasa, Inc., a Pasadena, Calif.-based digital photo management company. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

"Picasa enables users to easily manage and share digital photographs, and its technologies complement Google's ongoing mission to organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful," said Jonathan Rosenberg, vice president, Product Management. "Picasa is an innovator in the field of digital photography, and we're excited that the Picasa team is joining Google."

Picasa was founded in October 2001. In May 2004, Picasa announced a technology partnership with Google's Blogger service to make publishing digital photos with Blogger faster and easier. Further product integration plans have not been announced. Picasa users will not experience any interruption in service.

http://www.google.com/press/pressrel/picasa.html

(ps. i did a search on "picasa" first before posting and didnt see anything)

,Jul 14 2004, 15:09] iPhoto is sluggish on the macs

:/

fortunately Picasa is anything but slow. I've used both iPhoto and Picasa and can't say I agree with the similarity.

If you haven't tried Picasa, I definately recommend trying it :) I'm hoping the new ownership will push this program forward quicker than its currently moving.

,Jul 14 2004, 20:09] iPhoto is sluggish on the macs

:/

Er, not anymore... :no: :no: :no:

Does this mean it'll go free? Ala blogger as well?

Picasa is a great app on the PC and iPhoto is great on the Mac.

I use both extensivley, and I find no similarity between the 2 except they both handle images.

p.s iPhoto hasn't been sluggish for a long while, you may want to install the updates.

Picasa = Hello

Hello can post to a Blogger powered site.

Google buy Picasa - er... haven't they just bought part of themselves or something?? I'm confused!!

I think they know how to create good business, soon... some people will be hatin' google for taking over everything (similar to M$'s story) :p

Edited by Hidea

Just noticed a link to this software called Piscasa on Google.com, looks like some kind of photo Organizer..

Picasa works with the digital photo files on your PC to create a better, more organized viewing and editing experience. Picasa will not delete or move the location of pictures saved on your PC.

http://www.picasa.com/google/?promo=hpp1