Rules Updated (Ammendment to Rule 2)

I'll post how this came about :)

Hi Neobond,

Just a suggestion that #2 of the rules should be updated to include illeagal movies, mp3s and the like. While most people would consider what is there to encompass these things, it could be argued that even though it is implied it is not clearly stated in the rules.

Again just a suggestion.

Thanks for your time.

eevoo

How about this?

2. No Warez (links) & Cracks: help, requests or posts that discuss circumvention. This includes linking to illegally obtained software, movies & music files - posting about it, and suggesting to get it.

Thanks for the suggestion :)

Neobond

Perfect.

Thank you for considering and useing the suggestion. :)

eevoo

updated: https://www.neowin.net/forum/rules.htm and creditted. :)

Neobond

Updated text is bolded

Good idea. We don't need Microsoft knowing that we download stuff right? :ninja: er, I mean, the people that do...

Can a mod/admin clarify.

Does this mean that we are not allowed to discuss "illegally obtained software, movies & music files" at all, or we are just not allowed to link to them or describe where to obtain them?

Can a mod/admin clarify.

Does this mean that we are not allowed to discuss "illegally obtained software, movies & music files" at all, or we are just not allowed to link to them or describe where to obtain them?

i'm no admin, but that seems correct.

just use your best judgement... if you get moderated and it was a mistake, simply talk with the mod about it.

besides, noone cares about how big peoples e-penis' are cuz they get teh warez!11

Ahh, didn't follow you then, Toxikk :s

a) Illegal to discuss. Full stop.

b) Illegal to link/discuss how to receive it.

Is it (a) or (b) :s

(it's just that "leaked" software is counted as illegal, yet it's still a grey area.......)

Or is the only change the mp3/movie part....so now we can't discuss the downloading of mp3's and movie rips/screeners.......

again, i do not want to say the wrong thing here, this is just my interpretation... but it seems like a should be ok.

no way we are going to prevent everyone from talking about them, but as long as we do our best to keep it off the forums.

like i said, use your best judgement... if you think that it crosses the line, do not post it.

it aint illegal is it? ;)

I don't think so. When you buy say a Winnie the Pooh DVD and want to back it up and re-author it so you get rid of all the previews and menus so that a kid can just pop it into the DVD player and it will auto-start, it seems within the fair use area. Also, the industry has agreed to allow for backups in some capacity, at least I think I read that online a day or two ago.

I don't like to break the law, but I do want to be able to use those two programs with the Fair Use precedents established in law earlier.

But I don't want to risk getting in trouble with the moderators by breaking any rules either. So, I'm not sure what to do, really. :huh:

https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?act=...dpost&p=2498587

you could get better description from admin about that one, but i would just reiterate what i said in the above post.

Well, it does sound fair. :)

So we can talk about the apps maybe, just not about using them to rip stuff off and things like that. I mean, MS Office could be used to write extortion letters, but that does not make it illegal to use for other purposes.

I'll try to just keep it real and talk about the apps in the proper context and if someone steers the conversation into the wrong direction, I can just not discuss that.

Hopefully mods will be a bit relaxed and generous about not cracking down on people who are trying not to promote any violations of the law.

I know that DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink are awesome for regular use, especially if you have kids or nieces or nephews. Not only can you make it easier to view one movie or show, but you can merge some together by extracting them from say 3 or 4 disks so that the kids can see their favorite skits/shows all in a row without disk swapping and without risking damage to the originals. I think people can imagine that kids might scratch up DVD's pretty good sometimes.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to try to explain. :)