Doom III to be Bundeled with Ati Cards!

mmh. i remember my good old geforece 2 mx 440 which i overclocked so much until the heatsink fell off cuz the card got so hot :rofl:

mmh. i remember my good old geforece 2 mx 440 which i overclocked so much until the heatsink fell off cuz the card got so hot :rofl:

now that's hardcore overclocking. :laugh:

Me? I just find it funny that NVidia mopped the floor with ATI in Doom 3 benchmarks, yet they package Doom 3 with it...explain how this makes me an ignorant noob please.

Just because ATI cards were beaten by the 6800 doesn't mean the ATI cards are doing a half-assed effort. I means the nVidia cards were doing great even before the game had been released. A reason for you being an "ignorant noob" (although I wouldn't use these words myself) could be the possibility that ATI hasn't optimized their drivers completely (for Doom 3) and you never considered that. I dunno, just a guess at what he meant with it.

I also don't see why you find it funny that ATI packages Doom 3 with their cards. They found out a great way to boost sales. Only logic, and clever too. If their cards end up being inferior is besides the point.

Anyway, this is a brilliant idea and really a train nVidia seem to have missed. It will certainly boost ATI sales, which is good for them. :)

Personally, I'll wait to judge both these companies' cards after around ~1-2 months of Doom 3 being out.

Amazing "fanboy" ratio in this thread btw. Fanboy this, fanboy that, hypocrite for this and that. ;) I thought Neowin were moving beyond that, but I guess we'll still have to wait a while for that miracle to happen. :)

Edited by Jugalator

really dont know why you guys fight over which graphics card is better. it's really sad, cuz you argue and argue but your not getting anywhere or proving anything. At the end of the day you just end up ****ed off @ each other.

I didn't saw this coming (ATI bundling Doom3).... If they are going to do it, will they give doom3 giveaway preference over thos old HL2 tickets... Would this make HL2 bundled people angry????????????

I would be

What in the name of..

That's what I thought, this is too odd.

Didn't {whatshisname} say that Doom3 would run better / smoother & faster & was designed for nVidia? :blink:

,Jul 24 2004, 21:39] That's what I thought, this is too odd.

Didn't {whatshisname} say that Doom3 would run better / smoother & faster & was designed for nVidia? :blink:

Yes, that guy did :laugh:

From John Carmack

Nvidia drivers have been tuned for Doom's primary light/surface interaction fragment program

That said, ATI aint had the time or information to tune their GL drivers... because? you guessed it, NVIDIA is ID's Hardware development partner.

As for the reasoning behind bundeling the game with ati but developing with nvidia? At the time of the games conception, NVIDIA was the top retailer of high-end cards, so it made sense for ID to go with NVIDIA as hardware partner..... Now ATI have 70% of all high-end card sales, so it now makes sense to bundle with ATI.

You might say "but NVIDIA sell more cards overall!" but then, Doom3 aint going to be bundled with the lower end cards is it?

Just my thoughts on the matter.

I may be an NVIDIA fanboy at heart, but I applaud what ATI have said concerning this:

(thanks to http://www.bluesnews.com/)

----------------

TeamRadeon: "I'm just emailing you because I have alot of confused gamers from both Team Radeon and x-3Dfx about what's really happening in Doom3. What they've been presented paints a relatively poor picture on the x800 Pro and x800 XT PE prompting many fellow gamers (about 400 on Team Radeon and 300 or so on x-3Dfx) to question wether or not they should cancel there pre-orders."

ATI response (Chris Hook): "Hi Richard - this is a non issue - Doom 3 isn't even available yet, and we all know that some of our competitors use partial precision where possible. We expect to have updated drivers available in the coming weeks."

"...And btw, let's not lose sight of the fact that ATI performance isn't relatively poor at all. I think Kyle himself said that even the X800pro delivered 'great' performance, and Carmack said in the HardOCP article that there's more to consider than just frame rate. The frame rate difference even today is so minor, it's impossible to tell without diagnostic tools - ie: the end user experience isn't affected. And with ATI you get full-precision enabled all the time - we don't do PP (on R3XX and R4XX) like some of our competitors. It's also important to note that most of today's games play faster on ATI hardware, and you can expect that to extend to other 'big title' games expected this summer."

----------------

Now will all you trolling n00bs shut the **** up!!!! :angry:

u know, i do believe bout a month ago i saw that nvidia cards would be bundled with doom 3 and ati was to be bundled with hl2 ill look into it more deeply

that ati bundle has already happened. i havent kept up with this thread that much but many people have said maybe this is just that store doing this, and not everywhere.

If I may butt in on your flamefest to throw some light...

- This is a deal exclusive to EB Games in Australiasia. It's an EB Games promotion - not ATI or id.

- EB Games in Australiasia does not have a website that you can look at.

- It is for ATI cards.

- EB Games is different here than it is in the US. Some EB Games stores here do things from mobile phones to PCs. Yes, it's all owned by Electronic Boutique, not a different company.

- If you buy any hardware from EB, you're insane. I'd rather you lined my pockets with your money and I'll drive and get you some better quality gear for cheaper.

Sorry if this has been explained already, but I'm not going to read through 300 or whatever posts of ATI-vs-nVidia flaming :angry:.

kthx.

• 2 weeks later...
Me? I just find it funny that NVidia mopped the floor with ATI in Doom 3 benchmarks, yet they package Doom 3 with it...explain how this makes me an ignorant noob please.

The beta 4.8 Catalysts offer 5-15 fps gain for my friend, and 4.9 is going to have Doom specific optimizations ... much like the Nvidia drivers that provided the much talked-about performance gains. The day is not lost, compatriots :)

I'm already happy with my performance, frankly (1280x1024, High mode ... 60 fps).

Game specific optimisations. Sounds very familiar.

It's perfectly fine tho, as long as they don't sacrifice performance.