Doom III to be Bundeled with Ati Cards!

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/07/23/news_6103380.html

RUMOR #2: Id Software has struck a deal with ATI to bundle Doom 3 with Radeon graphics cards.

Source: The raging hardware-heads at Rage3d.com.

The official story: "We're looking into this."--rep for Doom 3 publisher Activision; ATI had no comment.

What we heard: On Wednesday, trollers of the Rage3d.com forums got a bit of a shock--convincing (if blurry) evidence that Doom 3 will be bundled with one of ATI's Radeon GPUs. The proof came in the form of several low-quality cameraphone photos (pictured), allegedly taken inside an EB Games, of a poster bearing the likeness of Doom 3's space-marine hero. "Want Doom 3 free?" read the copy in large white letters, next to an image of an ATI Radeon card. According to the poster, the store staff accessed the EB database and said that they were "expecting 9600XT's and X800PR0's bundled with Doom 3 on August 3rd." While a picture is worth a thousand words, more doubts surrounded the rumor than the usual Photoshop-hoax-hypotheses. One, the poster lists his location as "Australia," raising the possibility it might be some sort of exclusively antipodean arrangement. Two, on Tuesday, id's John Carmack conducted a benchmark test with hardware site HardOCP, which resulted in Doom 3 performing best on an Nvidia 6800 Ultra, not a Radeon. Third, ATI already has a high-profile bundle deal with Half-Life 2--would it make sense for them to shell out big money for another one? Given its cutthroat struggle with Nvidia to be the top GPU-maker, the answer may well be "yes." But, fourth, this also could be a deal EB cooked up all on its own.

Bogus or not bogus?: Looks pretty authentic--probably not bogus.

Here's how I figure:

Bottom line is, ATI knows NVidia is beating them in terms of performance with Doom 3. Doom 3 is gonna sell a LOT of copies...not to mention a lot of people are gonna go out and upgrade graphics cards for this game. So, most people were probably gonna go get a 6800 Ultra and Doom 3...but now, they can get Doom 3 and a X800 and same some money. So, this means (probably) more people will go out and buy ATI cards for Doom 3 now...hope I explained this right. :blink:

Here's how I figure:

Bottom line is, ATI knows NVidia is beating them in terms of performance with Doom 3. Doom 3 is gonna sell a LOT of copies...not to mention a lot of people are gonna go out and upgrade graphics cards for this game. So, most people were probably gonna go get a 6800 Ultra and Doom 3...but now, they can get Doom 3 and a X800 and same some money. So, this means (probably) more people will go out and buy ATI cards for Doom 3 now...hope I explained this right. :blink:

Now all that ATI has to do is improve their OpenGL drivers.

Here's how I figure:

ya..it makes sense

Did I ever say that? No.

Great idea - bundle the game with the card that offers only half-decent performance in it! :laugh:

Well, you said half-decent and I am telling you right now that you can run doom 3 perfectly fine with ATI's card. So unless you think that Doom 3 is half-decent, you're saying that ATi's cards can't run doom3.

Here's how I figure:

Yeah, it looks like a more indepth my-post ;)

Either way, this game will look great with or without AA. I can't wait!

Well, you said half-decent and I am telling you right now that you can run doom 3 perfectly fine with ATI's card. So unless you think that Doom 3 is half-decent, you're saying that ATi's cards can't run doom3.

LOL, and this guy cant comprehend: :laugh:

it doesn't, he's just trolling.

:rolleyes: :laugh:

I'm so sorry for offending all you ATI fanboys, honestly. I mean half decent performance COMPARED to the 6800. Don't get me wrong, the X800 isn't a bad card...but with a highly-anticipated game that's gonna cause graphics card upgrades, it's gonna count. And, ATIs performance isn't gonna cut it for a lot of people. Happy now? Now stop flaming me because I'm not a huge ATI fanboy like you guys are.

I'm so sorry for offending all you ATI fanboys, honestly. I mean half decent performance COMPARED to the 6800. Don't get me wrong, the X800 isn't a bad card...but with a highly-anticipated game that's gonna cause graphics card upgrades, it's gonna count. And, ATIs performance isn't gonna cut it for a lot of people. Happy now? Now stop flaming me because I'm not a huge ATI fanboy like you guys are.

Sheesh. I am no fanboy, you are just making ignorant comments which when pointed out forces you to play the "fanboy card".

I have been recommending 6800 GT everywhere, so does that make me a Nvidia fanboy ?

I couldn't comprehend because o83zero was not specific that he was comparing ATi's card to the 6800. BTW, I am not offended I just want to make sure that what your saying is correct.

I mean half decent performance COMPARED to the 6800.

Me? I just find it funny that NVidia mopped the floor with ATI in Doom 3 benchmarks, yet they package Doom 3 with it...explain how this makes me an ignorant noob please.

Be realistic. 9 fps more is not what I would consider 'mopping the floor'. The only person who could qualify as a fanboy would be you buddy, for overexaduration. Everyone knows ATI is a little slower with OGL, that doesn't mean it's unplayable like you make it out to be nor does it mean things cannot improve.

Half decent? ATi's performance "isn't going to cut it"? Here's a lesson in marketing for ya kid, you can write a program for 1% of the population that has $2,000 computers, or for the rest, who have lesser computers.

If Id wrote their games for people with top of the line hardware, they wouldn't have many customers. If Doom III actually runs poorly on lower cards ... no one will buy it.

All the same, this is pretty funny :laugh:

omg 9 fps...thats SOOOOOOOOOOO much.

Hmm...

1090364971VEVx7HppJJ_2_1.gif

Ultra vs. XT...9fps more? Try 17 more. The rest range from 9-15. I'm sick of fighting over something so pointless...

bottom line is that ATI has ALWAYS had lower performance running opengl games compared to others (nvidia) and ATI has ALWAYS lacked in terms of driver support for ALL their cards for a LONG time now. IMO, ATI makes a somewhat marginal better GPU, but lacks in terms of driver compatibility. but as you all will learn, benchmarks will speak for themselves and the average Joe that doesn't know the difference between opengl and direct3d will see that the nvidia card performs a tad better and will buy an nvidia card and it will help them take the lead as the best graphics manufacturer. granted, this all may change as soon as some HL2 benchmarks start popping up which might show the latest ati chip beating nvidia since this has been proven on previous GPUs.

nuff said...

Be realistic. 9 fps more is not what I would consider 'mopping the floor'. The only person who could qualify as a fanboy would be you buddy, for overexaduration. Everyone knows ATI is a little slower with OGL, that doesn't mean it's unplayable like you make it out to be nor does it mean things cannot improve.

17 more with the Ultra. yeah might not be mopping the floor, but certainly making it wet. :yes:

Are we even talking about PCI-Express cards here? They still haven't hit the market, those benchmarks do say alot though.

This doesn't make any sense though especially since theres those nasty rumours that ATI leaked E3 build way back when, the guys that were making doom won't call it a beta.

Well, looks like ATI decided to bundle a game that will actually be released this century. OK, so Nvidia kind of kicked as$ with Doom 3, but new drivers might make the difference smaller. Besides, I think DirectX9 is the future of gaming, and ATI has been proven to ROCK at DirectX games. I don't really know what all the fuss is, anyways. Sure the 6800 GT beat the X800 Pro. So? Nividia wins some, ATi wins others. We can't say which is better until we get new games. The first of the bunch is out, and Nvidia won. Who is to say who will be better at Half-Life 2, S.T.A.L.K.E.R, or Battlefield 2? Or games with the Unreal III engine? I say, buy whatever you like. None of the new cards are bad. I mean, X800, 6800 GT, Pro's, XT's, Ultra's......Buy whatever you like. If anything, you will be 5 frames slower if you make the wrong choice. Big deal.

I find it funny that the majority of trolls who most defend the high-end of the video card industry will not possess any of those cards until they are the low-end of the industry.

Mr. GeForce 4 MX 440 been an ATI troll :rolleyes:

I mean, frankly, who gives a flying **** in the end. Buy whatever graphics card you can afford and play what you can on it. If you don't like it, buy a console.

I used to be one of those who took sides in ATI vs NVIDIA debates (ANova knows this ;) ) but in the end if you bought a graphics card and you enjoy games on it, then good for you (Y)

A good card can not make a crap game good.