[Definitive] Doom 3 Experience

Its actually been available at a number of differnt stores that didn't wait to put them out. While I would say that a majority did pirate not all did.

I just waiting unpaitiently for the fedex guy to show up with my 6800gt and the ups guy to show up with my copy of doom3.

good job, money well spent.. i just got my pny 6800 GT, and am running the 6800 Ultra bios on it, ups the voltage .1 on the card, and clock frequencies from 350/1000 to 400/1100.. not a single degree centigrade hotter either.

i've been messing with halflife 2 lately, and man... does it look sweet, picking up doom 3 wednesday, cheers!

OK. Doom3 posting may be getting out of control. Shouldn't admins just make the whole separate Doom3 subforum or something and like put all Doom 3 threads in there . Just a wacky thought :D The game is not even out yet, and there like 50 of those Doom3 threads. :wacko: This is worse than Gmail lol. So how about a separate Doom3 forum huh? :laugh:

I'm hearing the game is too dark to see anything, too dark to see the beautiful graphics at all their petrefying glory. Is this true? I hope not

and what's with not being able to increase the brightness by hacking the configrations file?

OK. Doom3 posting may be getting out of control. Shouldn't admins just make the whole separate Doom3 subforum or something and like put all Doom 3 threads in there . Just a wacky thought  :D The game is not even out yet, and there like 50 of those Doom3 threads. :wacko:  This is worse than Gmail lol. So how about a separate Doom3 forum huh? :laugh:

It would be even better if the flippin' warez monkeys and other Doom players would post in the RIGHT forum, wouldn't it? I just moved 20 Doom 3 threads. Some people need lives.......

I'm hearing the game is too dark to see anything, too dark to see the beautiful graphics at all their petrefying glory. Is this true? I hope not

and what's with not being able to increase the brightness by hacking the configrations file?

It's way to dark. Can't see sh*t. Damn zombies jump on you, and you can't even see the ******s. Freaky ! :wacko:

... Sad for people who are buying it because they have to wait another day lol

I would rather live with the honor of paying for it rather than disrespecting id and pirating it just to play it a day early. :rolleyes:

Vando? It's a video game, not exactly murder (but darn close) :whistle:

Plus the vast majority will buy the games for lans or because it's a darn good game :ninja:

Just cause piracy scures you doesnt mean it's bad.

In my eyes piracy is bad when you make a profit off of it.

i passed about 15min after the part to goto martianbuddy.com, ill play more tonight. im behind on my asmz. but so far its great, the demon crawling under the stairs and jumping at my scared the **** out of me, there were a few others times as well, but that was the most notable.

After seeing gamers hangout completely full of doom 3 threads, I didn't want to open a new one for reviews, so instead, I'll post in the official D3 thread.

Erich's Doom 3 review

I didn't care for the game. I played for about 10 hours. I was already bored 30 minutes in, but I forced myself to give it a chance. Never really liked it.

For one thing, the graphics weren't really ground breaking. If you played that 96kb first person shooter "kkrieger" I liked the graphics in that more simply because of the texturing in things like wood etc. The lighting was exactly the same as kkrieger where dark areas are just simply black. Of course, at 96kb the game was alot more repetitive than doom 3, but I don't think I'm being unfair here. I found alot of the graphics had to do with the artists showing off their abilities to make complex and detailed models, but the game was not at all "realistic" like I was hoping for.

Of course 1 point that doom 3 just rocks kkrieger is in the sound department. But still, I didn't find doom 3 showcased it very well. Like sure, we can tell from the way doom 3 showcased it, it's a powerful engine, but I just found that it was more painful to the ears than anything else. There is ALWAYS noise (def. sound is the pattern or wavelengths - noise has no pattern). You can always tell when a monster comes out and is attacking you from the sounds. But in the Doom 3, you could walk up to a loud machine, and the atmosphere sounds exactly the same as if you were in a dark room with nothing around. There is just simply too much "noise" in this game to be really using the sound engine properly.

All in all, I think this will be a great engine for anybody creating a first person shooter. And doom 3 does a good job I guess of showing off what the engine can do, but it's just not a good game <<IMO>>.

Points that I wish Doom 3 was improved upon:

1. [Engine beef] Lighting, they should have made some use of ambient lighting for times when there were Bright rooms with a little corner that comes out pitch black because no light was pointed in that direction. Sure it would be darker than the rest of the room, but no pitch black. Ambient lighting would have came in handy.

2. Noise - many of the (ambient) sounds in the game could have been made less aggressive. You know when you think of being scared, you always think of an eerily silent dark room when ALL OF A SUDDEN, a screaching monster comes jumping at you. You'll find that Doom 3 doesn't understand the meaning of an eerie silence.

Places that Doom 3 Shined:

1. The scripting in the game was great for what it was meant to be. Alot of thought went into the levels to try and scare you at every turn.

2. Good engine, ID Software shows that they are the industry leaders when it comes to graphics and sound programmers.

3. Good graphics, Obviously you can see thousands of hours went into modeling this game, alot of detail, but quite often, you could see that the modelers were trying to impress with design instead of just doing what needed to be done - like I said, the game seems more like a tech demo.

It basically is a tech demo, since this is a brand-new engine that is going to be modded on and used for future games probably for another year or two.

It's also a great stand-alone game, in my opinion. But maybe that's because I love Doom..

Your points about the sound are completely wrong and just incredibly incoherent.

Oh, and since there is so much wrong with this game, why don't you tell us what is better in the FPS department? And no, Deus Ex is not an FPS.

4 play max multiplayer?? I played with 10 people with over 45 FPS so yeah i dont know what your talking about.

This game is great, it has made me jump so many times i love it!!!

Vando? It's a video game, not exactly murder (but darn close) :whistle:

Plus the vast majority will buy the games for lans or because it's a darn good game :ninja:

Just cause piracy scures you doesnt mean it's bad.

In my eyes piracy is bad when you make a profit off of it.

You apparently don't understand.

Id put many years into this game, and a lot of hard work. You want this game, but you don't want to pay the money for it, so you just steal it without putting any money or work into actually getting the game Id worked so hard to give to you. All they ask is 50 dollars for a game they spent 4 years working on, but instead of you just spending a day's worth of money (assuming you have a low paying summer job), you steal the game.

Now where in your ****ing stupid mind did you see that as "not being bad"? Hell, you probably don't even work, so I see why you can't understand this concept. Either pay the money for it or wait until you can afford it, unless you enjoy being labeled as a worthless piece of **** warez'er.

You apparently don't understand.

Id put many years into this game, and a lot of hard work. You want this game, but you don't want to pay the money for it, so you just steal it without putting any money or work into actually getting the game Id worked so hard to give to you. All they ask is 50 dollars for a game they spent 4 years working on, but instead of you just spending a day's worth of money (assuming you have a low paying summer job), you steal the game.

Now where in your ****ing stupid mind did you see that as "not being bad"? Hell, you probably don't even work, so I see why you can't understand this concept. Either pay the money for it or wait until you can afford it, unless you enjoy being labeled as a worthless piece of **** warez'er.

Actually, most of what you pay for the game goes to the publishers.

Actually, most of what you pay for the game goes to the publishers.

You're avoiding the point. It still goes to the people who made it, be the publishers or whatnot, they are part of the game.

You're avoiding the point. It still goes to the people who made it, be the publishers or whatnot, they are part of the game.

but then there is people like me and many others who have prepurchased the game already and are just waiting for the release and want to play it now heh

2. Noise - many of the (ambient) sounds in the game could have been made less aggressive. You know when you think of being scared, you always think of an eerily silent dark room when ALL OF A SUDDEN, a screaching monster comes jumping at you. You'll find that Doom 3 doesn't understand the meaning of an eerie silence.

have you played silent hill? not everyone reacts to silence the same know?

I just purchased doom 3 legally and it wont install!!

I enter the serial, then agree to the license and the install stays error:minsysreq

my system is 1 gig ram

6800GT

and 2amd ghz

directx9.0c

whats the problem :cry: thats a self portrait

NewBitmapImage.jpg

Edited by JohnO