Partition Magic problem

I have an 80GB hard drive, and I wanted to split it up into 2 NTFS partitions, one 15GB for windows and programs, and the other made up of what space was left over for documents, games, music, etc. My only problem now is that I am stuck with 1 15GB partition ©, a 20.2GB partition (H), and a 39.3GB partition (G). I tried to merge H into G (both are NTFS, H is empty), but it doesn't work. Then I tried deleting H, and resizing G to use the leftover space, that also didn't work. I ran PM's own check for errors and for both partitions, it says: error #1611 Bad system file name, File 9 (48)

error #1611 Bad system file name, File 11 (48).

It doesn't provide a way to fix this. I also ran chkdsk, and it didn't say anything was wrong with the partitions. I am able to access all 3 in windows XP and use them fine. Can someone tell me how I can merge G and H? I don't want to format and lose everything I have on G.

Partition Magic is known for being buggy when resizing NTFS partitions. You can move or back up your data, delete both partitions, then create a new one and format it.

erp is right. That would be the safest way to do it if you could. I have never has a good experience with PM. On the other hand you should look at Acronis OSselctoe. I use this all the time and it is very reliable. About 50 USD I think.

i'm using one called Acronis Partition Expert 9 and it even allowed me to resize an active partition, PM never let me do that...go figure, but it works so i would suggest using it

I've never had any luck with PM. Get alot of people calling me after they've tried to do something with it and have to fix it for them. Acronis is much better.

i'm using one called Acronis Partition Expert 9 and it even allowed me to resize an active partition, PM never let me do that...go figure, but it works so i would suggest using it

Thanks. Acronis worked just fine.