How do I resize pixel art and still maintain its original look?

Question

When resizing images in Photoshop that are anti-aliased, this isn't a problem. When I take something that is meant to have a pixelated look (like an icon for example) and try to shrink it down, however, everything goes to hell. Photoshop tries to anti-alias the image so it loses that pixelated look and becomes foggy. I've tried all the resampling options and even tried it in Fireworks but nothing seems to work.

Does anyone know a way to maintain the original quality of the pixelated image?

Thanks....

8 answers to this question

im not sure how to do it in photoshop, what i usually do when i dont want something to anti-alias when resized is I do it in MSPaint :s - the big problem here of course is that u can only use percentages.... hmmm I know u can turn off the anti-alias for text in phtoshop, but i dunno about images.....

:ermm:

You can't Change the image Size without affecting the quality,

images are either RASTER or VECTOR.

RASTERS are like JPG,TIF,GIF,....etc cant be change becuase the problem is the DPI (Dot Per Inch), when you resize...the DPI will remain the same...and it spread to cover the area difference..that's why the image become haze.

VECTORS are like freehand,Fireworks,EPS..etc

this can easily Zoomed or Resized...without loosing the quality.

:ponder: hope i helped a little

Originally posted by Onsi

You can't Change the image Size without affecting the quality,

images are either RASTER or VECTOR.

RASTERS are like JPG,TIF,GIF,....etc cant be change becuase the problem is the DPI (Dot Per Inch), when you resize...the DPI will remain the same...and it spread to cover the area difference..that's why the image become haze.

VECTORS are like freehand,Fireworks,EPS..etc

this can easily Zoomed or Resized...without loosing the quality.

:ponder: hope i helped a little

great first post, in fact that was usefull to me too