Doom 3 Screensaver

:blink:

Full version of screensaves seems to be buggy, it freezes after a while. I may also point that it's not the computer that freezes, only screensaver!

Sometimes preview doesn't work on it, but works great with all other screensavers... :wacko:

One more thing, shouldn't there be any posibilities to set a password since my "station" isn't locked unless it's password protected??

yeah we are working at getting the password protection implemented. about the freezing: it may be your configuration your running it on the "full" and lite screensaver with scanlines tend to be slower on some systems.

Hey i'm a new user at Neowin and i just downloaded the 'Station Locked' screensaver and would just like to say awesome work. It looks very cool, i personally prefer the 'lite' version. Very cool. :)

it may be your configuration your running it on the "full" and lite screensaver with scanlines tend to be slower on some systems.

Great! :D

I've had previous version of "full" version (the one with sfw file) and it worked like a charm..

I don't see any reason for that screensaver not to work on my system:

Specs: P4 northwood 3.2Ghz, 1024 MB DDR3700 Hardcore Kingston RAM, ATI Radeon 9800 PRO 128mb with latest drivers, WinXP PRO SP2

yeah i cant see a problem there :| darn. you know what sucks? I was looking for that version on my computer and it seems I deleted it. if you happen to have that old version just go back to it.

Lite version nor Full are causing troubles for me...

what kinda troubles? i need a little more explanation what is problematic and what the syntoms are. (heh same kinda things a doctor would ask for :p )

Stupid me, I meant NO problems...I forgot to add that word in >_>

:)

On the other hand, here's a mirror for the downloads:

http://www.furnation.com/chrisdragon/Doom/...3_scanlines.rar

http://www.furnation.com/chrisdragon/Doom/liteversion1.3.rar

http://www.furnation.com/chrisdragon/Doom/...ensaver1.d3.rar

thanks thats great ill add them to the site ;)

I made a thread on DSLReports linking them to your screensaver, and one user is complaining about the full one using too much CPU time. Is there a way to use less CPU power?

And another thing, this morning I saw my start button and windows taskbar visible while the screensaver was active. This happened because Norton 1-button checkup ran in the background. Is there a way to KEEP ALL PROCESSES from running on top of the screensaver while active?

Edit: Holy crap, why are both lite and normal versions using almost 100% CPU time while running??? :unsure:

Windows Beziers screensaver uses less than 30%, so why not the UAC screensavers?

Is this screensaver flash based ?

Yes it is indeed Flash based, although the program used from my understanding is supposed to make it a normal screen-saver. Then again I have not used the program myself yet so I don't know how it works, it is just my understanding. The main files, both the lite and full versions, are indeed Flash Based.

A Quick Comment

I think alot of people are not keeping in mind one main thing, and that this is just as much a learning experience for all of us involved who are making the screensavers, as it is anything else. We are not experts in making screensavers, far from it actually, so there are going to be some bugs along the way.

We are learning as we go along, and I know this is especially the case for DiverTom, as he completely has, and still is, busting his ass to make this screensaver for everyone. In fact without him none of this would have even be possible. He has gone through countless Screensaver conversion/creation programs trying to find a right one. We are all just members like you, trying to do something we can all enjoy. So bear with us, and we will hopefully get it right. :D

We need, and 110% appreciate, your feedback, so by all means keep it coming. With it I am sure we will get cool screensavers we can all use and enjoy (Y) Thanks Again.

The opinions and comments stated above for the record are just Dirty Larry's and no one else's so you all know. =)

Full Version Progress

Also, I apologize to everyone for not having the latest Full version released yet. I freelance design as my living, and things have been really rough these past couple of weeks, so I have not had much free time. The free time I have had, I have just not wanted to do anything design related since it is causing me to stress during my working hours because it is my job. As a result I just wind up shutting off my Mac (where I do all of my design) and either gaming on my PC or lately just vegging out on my couch watching TV, admittedly trying to not to design. Within the next week or two though I will be getting full on into the latest Full Version, so thanks for the support to everyone.

Edited by DirtyLarry

well From my technical understanding of how these things work is its a small wrapper executable (as all screensavers are executables, just like programs) that wraps the flash file and plays it back fullscreen and on repeat.so yes its running flash just like your browser would run a flash file.

The version larry made is much more intensive i looked at that thread and am not suprised. Ive heard a few other people say it gave them rather high cpu usage but I did say in the first place that the larrys version and the scanline version were going to be a bit more system intensive.

Next best thing i could try (which would give me expected results but i can do it anyway to prove a theory) is i could make some dumb animation in flash that realy low key maybe something like a circle bouncing up and down just a black circle on a while background realy simple run it as a screensaver and check the cpu usage. If it comes to be low usage then it proves the fact that the more intensive the flahs movie is the more cpu usage its going to cause and its not the scresaver wrappers fault (which im almost already certian its not without running this experiment).

If I remeber right larry said he was going to make a more low key approach to his screensaver for less high end computers. That should help.

I can repeat from personal experience that the scanline version is slower than the non scanline version and thats on a 3000+ 2ghz a64 :yes: . So if its running slower on that kind of proc im thinking its some speed or limitation that can be attributed to macrmedia and not our machines. from my experience tho i didnt have any slowdowns or problems with larrys version. Normaly as far as a screensaver is concerned im not going to care about my cpu usage when the screensaver is running cus if I plan to retun to my computer the screensaver is going to terminate and my cpu usage is going to drop to back down to normal and i can use the computer withought a problem.

I guess this can be a callout to anyone that wants to help If you can make a screensaver like this that draws it in the gpu instead of in flash i guess that would solve just about all of our problems. Also if anyone else wants to work on an msstyle winamp or other sort of skin to go with the screensaver that would be great ive ripped a lot of materials from the game that i would certainly share so you would have some stuff to work with. Ive also got a ton of other stuff that new screensavers could be modeled after from in game console shots. Its a shame that we cant just get a program to run those files as a screensaver. (.gui files)

Oh and before i forget thanks for everyones support, feedback, enthusiasm, and help. :D

Real quick cause I am off to a wedding, great post Tom (Y)

I think your idea with just making the simplest Flash file (ball bouncing) and then converting that to a screensaver and seeing how much CPU usage is involved with that "simple animation" is the best way to determine if it is the amount of what is going on in Flash or just the app itself. i am curious to hear those results.

Off to the wedding, and I will be back tomorrow night.

DL

lol I am such a lurker..

Great job guys I have been watching every post.

I use the full version and I havent had any issues with speed or crashing.

AMD 2800+, ATI AIW9800 Pro, 1024 PC2700 RAM. A pretty average system and some people with a more powerful rig were have issues.

lol I am such a lurker..

Great job guys I have been watching every post.

I use the full version and I havent had any issues with speed or crashing.

AMD 2800+, ATI AIW9800 Pro, 1024 PC2700 RAM. A pretty average system and some people with a more powerful rig were have issues.

Likewise. I'm using the full version as well and its the envy of all the little freshmen on my floor. Awesome job you guys, great way to take an idea and make it a reality :D

Keep up the great work guys!! ;)

just a little complaint, i would really like to run the lite version with scanlines on my laptop but it has a widescreen and the scanlines cut off at the end of where a normal monitor would end. If there is somthing I can do to scale it or somthing that would be great . or if its possible and nesisary (nothing else turns up) could you make a widescreen version? all it would take is to extend the scan lines a bit. my screen is 1280 * 800 pixels if that helps. also the old 1.2 version workes perfectly on my widescreen until it expired

thanks

- me

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was thinking and i came up with an idea. why dont you also make an animated avatar of the screensaver. That would be cool to have

Edited by albert475

hi guys,

Spent the past hour or so reading this thread from front to back, looking at the development. Brilliant work. I'm really, really impressed with what communities like this can do. And to think that it all started with someone saying "wouldn't this be cool?". brilliant.

Just like everyone else, I'm watching this thing grow, as people give more and more input as to what they would like to see in future versions.

The only minor thing I run in to is download problems. Sometimes, a link that should take me to the file instead takes me to a site saying "file not found". Other times, I download the .rar file, but find nothing in it except for a "readme.txt" file. However, there are then other people who have the thing for download. Just thought I would point this out, even if its already been said.

Once again, outstanding work guys. I'm definetly watching this space.

nick